5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super loud exhaust mod

2Kings

Reaction score
Bought a used 2019 blacked out LoneStar from out of state. Loved the huge start up rumble but driving around sounds like a monster truck rally. I want a great rumble but not so much drone. I don’t know much about exhaust. I’m thinking they cut out the muffler but here’s a pic if anyone can tell me what I have going on. Not sure how the previous owner could stand the drone after a few minutes. Or could I solve the drone with some sort of resonator? Appreciate any advice from someone who know exhausts. thanks 4BB29718-BDEF-4371-903C-086E7218E771.png 4BB29718-BDEF-4371-903C-086E7218E771.png

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Bought a used 2019 blacked out LoneStar from out of state. Loved the huge start up rumble but driving around sounds like a monster truck rally. I want a great rumble but not so much drone. I don’t know much about exhaust. I’m thinking they cut out the muffler but here’s a pic if anyone can tell me what I have going on. Not sure how the previous owner could stand the drone after a few minutes. Or could I solve the drone with some sort of resonator? Appreciate any advice from someone who know exhausts. thanks View attachment 46187 View attachment 46187
I’m confused is that part of the muffler to the left of the spare?

2Kings

Reaction score
It seems like the original muffler system is still there. To the left of the spare and another on the right but I’m thinking those two down pipes in the middle of the chassis are the issue. I have to get under for a better inspection bc I can’t tell if there’s a third pipe that still goes to the original mufflers. (Which wouldn’t make sense to me anyway)

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't tell for sure since you don't have a pic of everything, but I'm willing to bet they left the original tips & rear resonators in place so the rear bumper cutouts didn't look empty and cut the exhaust off after the muffler (maybe replaced that muffler too) in the middle. It looks to be dumping straight down from there. There will be no third pipe. If that's the case, a good muffler shop should be able to reconnect it to the rear and quiet it down some.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like the original owner removed the pipes from the muffler to the left & right pipes with the resonators which is probably why you’re hearing the drone. Take it to a muffler shop and have them install new pipes from the muffler to the two output pipes and you’ll be back to stock.

2Kings

Reaction score
Thanks. I definitely don’t want to go back to stock sound. Maybe I’ll get an electric cutout so I can have all the rumble in short doses. Otherwise a bit less for everyday driving.

Yellotsacul

Reaction score
Aftermarket muffler with outlets turned down just before the axle. Factory pipes with resonators are still there. Have a muffler shop connect the turndown to the rear pipes and you should be good. Looks like the muffler is probably a magnaflow too so it should sound pretty decent when it's all connected. Could have them cut out the resonators too and it would probably be about perfect.
37bf75a5e29e7682bda295b4fedd4897.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2Kings

Reaction score
Aftermarket muffler with outlets turned down just before muffler. Factory pipes with resonators are still there. Have a muffler shop connect the turndown to the rear pipes and you should be good. Looks like the muffler is probably a magnaflow too so it should sound pretty decent when it's all connected. Could have them cut out the resonators too and it would probably be about perfect.

2Kings

Reaction score
Aftermarket muffler with outlets turned down just before muffler. Factory pipes with resonators are still there. Have a muffler shop connect the turndown to the rear pipes and you should be good. Looks like the muffler is probably a magnaflow too so it should sound pretty decent when it's all connected. Could have them cut out the resonators too and it would probably be about perfect.

Perfect. Exactly the insight I needed! Much appreciated.

Raydar

Reaction score
I was gonna say "Flowmaster with turn-downs", but yeah... either way. That's why it makes your eyeballs vibrate.
Once that's connected back to the stock resonators (the ones in the back) it should tame the "thrum" quite a bit.

2Kings

Reaction score
I was gonna say "Flowmaster with turn-downs", but yeah... either way. That's why it makes your eyeballs vibrate.
Once that's connected back to the stock resonators (the ones in the back) it should tame the "thrum" quite a bit.
shop said I’d need to replace the muffler because it needs a single out pipe to hook back up to the factory pipes. I’m hoping I can still get a healthy rumble without the extra brain damage.

derp

Reaction score
My first thought on seeing the stock and aftermarket in the same shot.

1581367237506.png

As for the electric cutouts, look into Atlanta Speedometer electric cutout project. it is pretty damned sexy. Throttle based cutout actuation so while you are slow rolling it's stock, and cutout on wider throttle. theres also steering wheel controls for manual override.

Users who are viewing this thread