5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunscreen and window sensor sizes

mch

Reaction score
Hello, just upgraded from a 17 Sport, to a 19 Rebel. I'm in Las Vegas and with summer temperatures on the way, I'm looking to get a new sunscreen for the front window. I'm a fan of the covercraft flex sunscreens, as they provide a nice heat barrier and cut to fit the shape of specific windows. I tried using the one from my 17, but the 19 has like a pretty big sensor cover that protrudes down from the rearview mirror. When I go to the covercraft site, it has an option of "With Large 10" wide sensor..." or "With Small 5" Wide Sensor...). Kind of a pain to measure, but mine looked like 6" wide and came down about 10." If I had to guess, mine would fall under the small category, though it looks pretty big. Anyone have any pictures of both sizes? Possible that the 10" has the camera for lane deviation, collision avoidance?

Thanks.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, just upgraded from a 17 Sport, to a 19 Rebel. I'm in Las Vegas and with summer temperatures on the way, I'm looking to get a new sunscreen for the front window. I'm a fan of the covercraft flex sunscreens, as they provide a nice heat barrier and cut to fit the shape of specific windows. I tried using the one from my 17, but the 19 has like a pretty big sensor cover that protrudes down from the rearview mirror. When I go to the covercraft site, it has an option of "With Large 10" wide sensor..." or "With Small 5" Wide Sensor...). Kind of a pain to measure, but mine looked like 6" wide and came down about 10." If I had to guess, mine would fall under the small category, though it looks pretty big. Anyone have any pictures of both sizes? Possible that the 10" has the camera for lane deviation, collision avoidance?

Thanks.
I bought the Covercraft UVS100 folding shade, as I’ve used them for many years in other vehicles. With my loaded Longhorn, it was the 10” cutout (fitting Advanced Safety Group, etc.). You can tell just looking at pics of Limiteds and Longhorns (and some Laramies) how big that upper console is.

mch

Reaction score
I looked around. Not many good pictures, but I think I saw one of the 10 inch sensors, and doesn't look like mine. Below is a pick of mine. There was a third option on the site that said regular mirror. Trying to figure out what mine is.. 5 inch, none?
IMG_20190303_125246.jpg

Last edited:

Barqs

Reaction score
That's definitely not the Active Safety group console, so I'd go with the 5" option unless they have a third option listed. I just ordered the roll-up Heatshield brand, and the only options listed on their site was "with Advanced Safety Group Package" or "without Advanced Safety Group Package". My truck has the big sensor console, and the Advanced Safety Group Package was a perfect fit.

mch

Reaction score
I ordered the 5" option and that was the correct version. Not really a fan of the covercraft sunshade I got. I got the expensive one that was like $85. It folds up easily, but getting it to sit in the window can be a little work. Then, it still leaves some gaps up by the mirror. Using one hand to leverage the shade into place had it snapping some internals. It felt like the inner portion was made out of drywall. I ordered another sunshade from another company that looks like the style I had on my 4th gen sport. If it is the same, it should fill up with window exact, and easy to deploy, etc.

SKU: (216745528-CSSZ65)
Product Name: CUSTOM SUNSHIELD for 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5th Gen, w/circle box on rear view mirror

apalma002

Reaction score
I ordered the 5" option and that was the correct version. Not really a fan of the covercraft sunshade I got. I got the expensive one that was like $85. It folds up easily, but getting it to sit in the window can be a little work. Then, it still leaves some gaps up by the mirror. Using one hand to leverage the shade into place had it snapping some internals. It felt like the inner portion was made out of drywall. I ordered another sunshade from another company that looks like the style I had on my 4th gen sport. If it is the same, it should fill up with window exact, and easy to deploy, etc.

SKU: (216745528-CSSZ65)
Product Name: CUSTOM SUNSHIELD for 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5th Gen, w/circle box on rear view mirror
What sunshade did you finally purchase... Im on the hunt for the best fitting shade. I live in the FL keys, so the sun is brutal

apalma002

Reaction score
You found it fit better than the covercraft? What happened with the hovercraft?
Thanks for all the information!

apalma002

Reaction score
by the way....
Im considering changing my speakers ( I have the 9-speaker Alpine) how did you like your selection of speakers? Did you up date the subwoofer? Did you add an amp?

mch

Reaction score
You found it fit better than the covercraft? What happened with the hovercraft?
Thanks for all the information!

I threw the covercraft away. It snapped internally, and was just too heavy / a pain to put up and take down. Big waste of $85.

mch

Reaction score
by the way....
Im considering changing my speakers ( I have the 9-speaker Alpine) how did you like your selection of speakers? Did you up date the subwoofer? Did you add an amp?

I changed out the 6x9s in the rear, and ordered another pair for the fronts. Speakers seem to sound better, but I just ordered a sub box. It will be a couple weeks before I see it. I have an idea on what amp I'm getting and speakers. It may be a while before I install everything.

apalma002

Reaction score
I changed out the 6x9s in the rear, and ordered another pair for the fronts. Speakers seem to sound better, but I just ordered a sub box. It will be a couple weeks before I see it. I have an idea on what amp I'm getting and speakers. It may be a while before I install everything.
Thanks for the update...

Im starting now to look into updating my speakers. Are you going to change the sub box out from its original factory location or are you relocating a box somewhere else?

mch

Reaction score
Thanks for the update...

Im starting now to look into updating my speakers. Are you going to change the sub box out from its original factory location or are you relocating a box somewhere else?

I haven't actually seen my sub, because it's mounted behind the rear seat. It's small and there is not a lot of space back there. I'm not sure which of the all-in-one compact speaker / amp combo boxes will fit that location. I'm contemplating pulling the stock sub off and using the mounting points for some kind of board to mount my amp. I'm doing things in steps. I'll run the wires past the front seats, then save the mounting the amp, figuring out some kind of board mount for another day. Fox Acoustics ( https://www.foxacoustics.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=23 ) has a decent selection of boxes for about $250, but then you need to figure out what subs you will install into them, and what amp to drive them.

apalma002

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am trying not to eliminate any interoror space and maximize the ability of the built in Sub. It probably wont be much, but I will deal. Would love to see how your project rolls out

Reactions: mch

Alexxmackk

Reaction score
Hey guys would anyone be able to tell me where to look for the sensor ? I know it’s near the rear view mirror of course. But I just wanna make sure I don’t miss anything. I’m ordering a carhartt sunscreen and want to get the right one thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey guys would anyone be able to tell me where to look for the sensor ? I know it’s near the rear view mirror of course. But I just wanna make sure I don’t miss anything. I’m ordering a carhartt sunscreen and want to get the right one thanks in advance.

It’s the either huge or not so huge black square area directly behind/under the rear view mirror

Alexxmackk

Reaction score
It’s the either huge or not so huge black square area directly behind/under the rear view mirror

b20da07a8c13ca5b51a10df617f50649.jpg

a38e7e043733c4164f5fed19475d81a7.jpg

Is it safe to say I have a 10 inch sensor ?

Users who are viewing this thread