5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion on Next Step!!! Battery and Engine Light on.

Wynnjamin

Reaction score
I bought my 2019 1500 back in September of 2018, and it has 16K miles on it. Last night the battery light and engine light both came on. I am sure someone has experienced this issue. Please let me know what the problems are and what the solutions are.

Attachments

• IMG_3582.JPG
    IMG_3582.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 15

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I guess it could be a bunch of things. I’d check the cables for a loose one. Could also be a bad (going bad) alternator that isn’t recharging the battery properly. Could also be a bad battery. If the voltage drops it could cause a surge in the computer which could throw the CEL. You can see in your info cluster what the voltage is by toggling through the options. You can also read what code you are getting if you have an odbii scanner (cheap from autozone or amazon like $14).
Either way it’s covered under your warranty but it’s better you know and get it fixed so you don’t get stuck somewhere.

AndreiV

Reaction score
Does that mean the battery is the issue? Or the alternator, etc. might be the issue?

Thank you guys very much for helping!!!
Well, best next step is to take truck to local AutoZone or so and test both, battery and alternator. If both are good then look for loose grounds. I had loose ground once and have done just that to rule out components.

AtmozFear

Reaction score
Does that mean the battery is the issue? Or the alternator, etc. might be the issue?

Thank you guys very much for helping!!!

I can’t guarantee it’s a alternator, but in this case, I wouldn’t doubt it. 5 years ago, I purchased a brand new Sierra Denali, and after 2 weeks of owning it, I had the same issue. Battery light and “charging system failure” warnings. Sure as ****, it was a bad alternator but warranty covered it along with a new battery installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jafcy

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad alternator or battery to me. Check out both but first make sure the battery ground is clean and tight.

Users who are viewing this thread