5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sudden transmission drop out of Drive with flashing light above D on the shift know

tpoony

Reaction score
Started the truck last night, put it in drive, drone to the end of the street to do a u turn. Put in reverse to get enough room to turn around. Put back into drive and all of a sudden the truck stopped moving. Felt like the truck dropped to neutral and the light about D in the shift know started blinking. Came to a full stop. Put into park and go back into Drive and everything went back to normal.
Has anyone experienced this?

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
Started the truck last night, put it in drive, drone to the end of the street to do a u turn. Put in reverse to get enough room to turn around. Put back into drive and all of a sudden the truck stopped moving. Felt like the truck dropped to neutral and the light about D in the shift know started blinking. Came to a full stop. Put into park and go back into Drive and everything went back to normal.
E torque?

tpoony

Reaction score
Won't shift while still moving - and/or - shift from R to D requires foot on brake...

Rick
hey Rick, sorry didn't understand your post. were those instructions? I was fully stopped every time between shifts.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't had it happen, but I know that the manual clearly and redundantly says to come to a complete stop before shifting between gears. Could it be you were in a little bit of a hurry when shifting from D to R and then back to D...? This could explain it since the RAM shifting actually has more electronic safety features than any other pickup.

SMJBAV

Reaction score
I have a 2017 LongHorn and awaiting for a 2021 Limited. My truck will do the same once in a while if i rotate the knob very quickly. If I remember well I read in the owner manual somthing about avoiding to turn the knob very quickly. I always considered that as normal condition since when I trun the knob for a second trime it works fine

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2017 LongHorn and awaiting for a 2021 Limited. My truck will do the same once in a while if i rotate the knob very quickly. If I remember well I read in the owner manual somthing about avoiding to turn the knob very quickly. I always considered that as normal condition since when I trun the knob for a second trime it works fine
Owners manual for my 2019 doesn't say anything about that. Just to come to a full stop before shifting. I turn the dial shifter as fast as I want with no problems.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
hey Rick, sorry didn't understand your post. were those instructions? I was fully stopped every time between shifts.
Did you get a message on the screen when this happened? Usually an error like this (flashing D) will come with a message.

If the truck is still moving (even ever so slow) won't shift - or - it wants foot on the brake to change gears.

If it happens again - take a second to look at the screen (between tach & speedo), as the reason for the error should come up there.

Rick

daneel

Reaction score
wish the owners manual for the old tv's had the same warning....pass the pliers please

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Funny (ok - not funny).

Had the same thing happen to me today. Well, similar.

In D rolling - stop for a stop sign - go to move and starts to move - then flashes D. Pulled over, put it in park - back in D - good to go for the rest of the journey.

WEIRD...

Rick

tpoony

Reaction score
@RSConsulting , yeah, I am hoping that folks are right that I just turned the shift knob too fast. Will be much more careful with this moving forward and hope it won't happen again.

stronbl

Reaction score
I 2nd on the turning the knob too fast. While I did not get the exact same message as the OP, I did get a transmission surprise - did not engage from Reverse to Drive. Definitely the electronics don't seem to like you to speed turn the shifter knob.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I 2nd on the turning the knob too fast. While I did not get the exact same message as the OP, I did get a transmission surprise - did not engage from Reverse to Drive. Definitely the electronics don't seem to like you to speed turn the shifter knob.
If turning it too fast is the culprit...wouldn't that mean there's a lose or twisted wire in the shift knob somewhere...?

tpoony

Reaction score
If turning it too fast is the culprit...wouldn't that mean there's a lose or twisted wire in the shift knob somewhere...?
No. It’s more likely the software is simply not catching up to the state changes of the shifter fast enough. All this is drive by wire nowadays.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No. It’s more likely the software is simply not catching up to the state changes of the shifter fast enough. All this is drive by wire nowadays.
I would make sure you're coming to a full stop before shifting either way. Because even if turning it too fast is the problem...wouldn't just waiting a second before hitting the throttle solve the problem in itself..

jwnelson3

Reaction score

jwnelson3

Reaction score
I had the same issue but i was not shifting. I came to a full stop. It dropped out of gear and the d light was blinking. Mes
e said to put in drive. I put it back to P and then to d with no more issues. Taking it to the dealership.

tpoony

Reaction score
I had the same issue but i was not shifting. I came to a full stop. It dropped out of gear and the d light was blinking. Mes
e said to put in drive. I put it back to P and then to d with no more issues. Taking it to the dealership.
Good luck @jwnelson3 . Keep us posted!

Users who are viewing this thread