5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock Exhaust set up?

Mason1217

Reaction score
What Is the stock 5.7 non e torque muffler set up? I keep looking at something like flowmaster series 40, but there are so many options that say are direct fit? Single in, dual out. Single in, single out. 2.5 inch. 3.5inch, how can they all say direct fit? Is there any that are actually a direct fit? Like drop the stock muffler, install this 1, 30 minutes in the driveway, no cutting, no welding and done? Muffler only I'm asking about, no cat back, resonators, none of that. The stock muffler is typically so monstrous I cant imagine finding an aftermarket "direct fit"

knightro84

Reaction score
The stock muffler is 3" single in/single out, and I believe that the inlet is center and the outlet is offset. I'm also fairly certain if you're looking to replace just your muffler, the stock one will need to be cut out and then the new one welded in.

banditsc

Reaction score
Flowmaster has two options for muffler only replacement, but it does require cutting the pipe on the backside of the original muffler.

Allnewhemi19

Reaction score
I installed the flowmaster outlaw muffler on mine. It took around 30min in the drive way. I’m happy with the sound after about 1000 miles of being on the truck.

19TXLimited

Reaction score
I went with the Borla Atak Crate Muffler. It is meant for a Chevy crate motor, but sounds great on our trucks...better as mileage continues to pile on it.

Muffler is about $255 with tax and install was $90. Thinking about removing the rear resonators on the tail pipes after B2Fab releases their delete kit next month or so...depending on price...a group buy would be great or forum discount...jut in case Matt is listening lol.

As a note for this system, like all others the exhaust note changes when in 4CYL mode, but under light acceleration it is just a nice V8 roar. When in V8 mode at 65+MPH it is whisper quiet on the freeway. I am hoping that the removal of the rear resonators will add to the sound, but not make the exhaust drone. We will see depending the cost of B2Fab's delete kit.

Part number is 400844 for the Borla muffler. $236.15 on Amazon right now. Depending on tax in your state it would be approx $255.

XmikeX

Reaction score
I went with the Borla Atak Crate Muffler. It is meant for a Chevy crate motor, but sounds great on our trucks...better as mileage continues to pile on it.

Muffler is about $255 with tax and install was $90. Thinking about removing the rear resonators on the tail pipes after B2Fab releases their delete kit next month or so...depending on price...a group buy would be great or forum discount...jut in case Matt is listening lol.

As a note for this system, like all others the exhaust note changes when in 4CYL mode, but under light acceleration it is just a nice V8 roar. When in V8 mode at 65+MPH it is whisper quiet on the freeway. I am hoping that the removal of the rear resonators will add to the sound, but not make the exhaust drone. We will see depending the cost of B2Fab's delete kit.

Part number is 400844 for the Borla muffler. $236.15 on Amazon right now. Depending on tax in your state it would be approx $255.
The part number you put is for 3" in and 3" out, I was under the impression stock system was 3" to 2.5". Did you have to weld different diameter pipe on one side?

Users who are viewing this thread