5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stelantis pushback

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think he’s right to voice that opinion. Good PHEV options will be a good stop gap until EV infrastructure is ready for millions of drivers. (In the US)

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think he’s right to voice that opinion. Good PHEV options will be a good stop gap until EV infrastructure is ready for millions of drivers. (In the US)
Have a hybrid for the wife, and it is the best option IMPO. Always a gas station, but not always a plugin station. Infrastructure just is not there yet, and California is already short on electricity.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have a hybrid for the wife, and it is the best option IMPO. Always a gas station, but not always a plugin station. Infrastructure just is not there yet, and California is already short on electricity.
I’d be really excited about a diesel PHEV, but I don’t think that would ever show up in the US. I was talking to the sales manager at the dealer I was at today, and he said they have diesel e-torque in the EU. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but it would be nice to have a more robust hybrid option for the RAM crowd.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Since the Ram E torque shuts the gas engine off at a stop and then restarts it when you pull away, how would that work with a diesel? Would they be continuously shutting off and starting up a diesel engine?

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A diesel hybrid sounds pretty cool but its got two big hurtles: Weight and Diesel's High compression ratio, the high CR means stop start on diesels is not very viable, in fact I dont think any diesel powered vehicles in the U.S. have stop start, and the weight of course is a diesel motor plus heavy batteries would either need a much higher gvwr or would leave a terrible payload. I think mercedes did a Diesel hybrid in europe in the mid 2010's.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since the Ram E torque shuts the gas engine off at a stop and then restarts it when you pull away, how would that work with a diesel? Would they be continuously shutting off and starting up a diesel engine?
The people that designed the system can do anything they want within the limits of the design. They could simply not have stop-start.

jkm312

Reaction score
Lots to overcome to get this to mainstream use for the everyday Joe's like us. Where is all the raw material going to come from and at what cost to create all the batteries needed. We need an entirely new industry to collect, recycle and redistribute all the worn out power units. We aren't going to flip a switch (I hope) overnight and we are all in EV's. Do we have the capacity to generate all the electricity needed? Will the national electric grid stand the extra load? With 2 home fast chargers you are approaching a 400AMP service, that takes approval from the utilities and some very real and expensive modifications to your home electric wiring. EV's are not really meant for long distance trips as I understand it. I'm thinking of the 940 mile trip to see the Grandkids. I like doing that in one shot. The infrastructure and charging stations are just not in existence yet.

Some utility companies have sold off their transmission lines, and simply pay to use them rather than maintain them. That is a complicated agreement with so many weasel words in it, no one will ever make complete sense out of it. Ours did several years ago. That's part of the reason the national grid is less than it should be.

Then there are natural disasters, ice storms, wind storms, tornadoes, hurricanes where you lose power for days and sometimes weeks. Then what do you do if all you have is an EV?

Then there is the expense of an EV which is over and above a gas engine vehicle, way over currently.

As a stop gap I can see more and more hybrid cars and light trucks. That makes mores sense to me, but, if you do the math on the cost savings with the increased miles per gallon, does it offset the cost of replacing the hybrid battery down the road. I don't see that problem solved right at this moment.

At least with hybrids you can keep going and not plug up the road because you ran out of juice.

I know we have to start somewhere, but I just don't see the practicality of it on a large scale at this point in time.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots to overcome to get this to mainstream use for the everyday Joe's like us. Where is all the raw material going to come from and at what cost to create all the batteries needed. We need an entirely new industry to collect, recycle and redistribute all the worn out power units. We aren't going to flip a switch (I hope) overnight and we are all in EV's. Do we have the capacity to generate all the electricity needed? Will the national electric grid stand the extra load? With 2 home fast chargers you are approaching a 400AMP service, that takes approval from the utilities and some very real and expensive modifications to your home electric wiring. EV's are not really meant for long distance trips as I understand it. I'm thinking of the 940 mile trip to see the Grandkids. I like doing that in one shot. The infrastructure and charging stations are just not in existence yet.

Some utility companies have sold off their transmission lines, and simply pay to use them rather than maintain them. That is a complicated agreement with so many weasel words in it, no one will ever make complete sense out of it. Ours did several years ago. That's part of the reason the national grid is less than it should be.

Then there are natural disasters, ice storms, wind storms, tornadoes, hurricanes where you lose power for days and sometimes weeks. Then what do you do if all you have is an EV?

Then there is the expense of an EV which is over and above a gas engine vehicle, way over currently.

As a stop gap I can see more and more hybrid cars and light trucks. That makes mores sense to me, but, if you do the math on the cost savings with the increased miles per gallon, does it offset the cost of replacing the hybrid battery down the road. I don't see that problem solved right at this moment.

At least with hybrids you can keep going and not plug up the road because you ran out of juice.

I know we have to start somewhere, but I just don't see the practicality of it on a large scale at this point in time.
What happens if you live in Californ!c@t!on and they turn off the transmission line because there is a wind advisory? Get a wind powered, solar, electric car/truck?

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always get a kick out of the seemingly constant nay-sayers on electrification and other new modes of power. This is America and we can do anything if we band together and decide collectively it is worth the investment. The Infrastructure bill is investing heavily in building the power gris and charging infrastructure we need to keep pace or not fall as far behind with Europe and Asia and would have done even more had other investments not fallen victim to the constant partisan gridlock and tendancy for both parties to just always say no to the other's ideas. We are the richest country on the planet and attract the best talent from the world - we just need to remember we're all working together and I think we could surprise ourselves with how fast we could make needed changes.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always get a kick out of the seemingly constant nay-sayers on electrification and other new modes of power. This is America and we can do anything if we band together and decide collectively it is worth the investment. The Infrastructure bill is investing heavily in building the power gris and charging infrastructure we need to keep pace or not fall as far behind with Europe and Asia and would have done even more had other investments not fallen victim to the constant partisan gridlock and tendancy for both parties to just always say no to the other's ideas. We are the richest country on the planet and attract the best talent from the world - we just need to remember we're all working together and I think we could surprise ourselves with how fast we could make needed changes.
What planet are you from. You can't get people to agree on what causes anything to happen, how much it will cost, or weather it is harmful to the environment/people/animals, or if there is intelligent life out there in the universe, or even on this planet for that matter. The ONLY thing that happens is if there is a profit in it for the person/people spreading the BS.
The richest country on earth, or the deepest in debt. We've already spent the taxes of our great great grandkids.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Reaction score
I always get a kick out of the claim that the U.S. is the richest country in the world... :ROFLMAO:

A $29.8T national debt, over $86T total debt and a debt to GDP ratio of over 127% begs to differ.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
4C454FA6-A0A1-44DB-B3AE-8F5B762C0450.gif

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I always get a kick out of the claim that the U.S. is the richest country in the world... :ROFLMAO:

A $29.8T national debt, over $86T total debt and a debt to GDP ratio of over 127% begs to differ.
We’re smart. “Don’t spend your money when you can spend someone else’s.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online