5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stealth mode while truck is running...

EXQQQME

Reaction score
Okay so I've just purchased my 2019 Bighorn & it seems that I cant sit with it running at night with the engine running with "no" lights on. Sometimes we like to be able to sit in total darkness without ANY lights on. No matter which is selected on the DRL option there will always be something lit up on the front of the truck. Go park in front of a glass front store at night with your truck running & see if you can achieve this. There are times I have to do surveillance in complete darkness but need my ac to be running, however it's hard when the front of my truck is saying "Hey, I'm over here!!"

B-Rebel

Reaction score
From what I understand there isn’t a way to do it without purchasing a Tazer DT. The tazer allows you to select dark mode which kills all exterior lights and the screen inside. It also allows you to turn daytime running lights off, although changing the location of the daytime running lights hasn’t worked for me yet. Dark mode does

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Okay so I've just purchased my 2019 Bighorn & it seems that I cant sit with it running at night with the engine running with "no" lights on. Sometimes we like to be able to sit in total darkness without ANY lights on. No matter which is selected on the DRL option there will always be something lit up on the front of the truck. Go park in front of a glass front store at night with your truck running & see if you can achieve this. There are times I have to do surveillance in complete darkness but need my ac to be running, however it's hard when the front of my truck is saying "Hey, I'm over here!!"
We’d need this for the local drive-in, too...a less nefarious example ;)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
NM the lights... Wouldn't the HEMI growl give you away? Not the most stealthy vehicle for surveillance... :unsure:

EXQQQME

Reaction score
Lol in not like it's my only vehicle to use. Many times I'm not real close to the subjects location by rather a distance away. No its clearly not a Borla exhaust but rather the exhaust delete set up.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol in not like it's my only vehicle to use. Many times I'm not real close to the subjects location by rather a distance away. No its clearly not a Borla exhaust but rather the exhaust delete set up.
Was that you watching me the other day? I was going to compliment you on your truck until I saw you creepily staring at me through the binoculars lol

EXQQQME

Reaction score
Was that you watching me the other day? I was going to compliment you on your truck until I saw you creepily staring at me through the binoculars lol
Lol. Was I using my thermal cam? Better leave those little boys alone, we are watching you!! But thank you for the compliment, now I have to switch vehicles.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll have to check mine but I thought they were dark with the light switch in the off position. Do you have the Daytime Running Lights enabled?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 018358 miles.

EXQQQME

Reaction score
I'll have to check mine but I thought they were dark with the light switch in the off position. Do you have the Daytime Running Lights enabled?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 018358 miles.
Lol I've tried it all. DRL's "on" DEL's "off" and in all different selections of the switch. If you park in front of a store with nice windows it will save you many trips in & out of your vehicle to look. Because the halo lights are pretty dim and most of the time a person cant tell they are on unless if front of a window. But yeah keep my posted on what you figure out.

B-Rebel

Reaction score
Lol. Was I using my thermal cam? Better leave those little boys alone, we are watching you!! But thank you for the compliment, now I have to switch vehicles.

Lol thermals don’t penetrate glass too well. Better off with nods

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol I've tried it all. DRL's "on" DEL's "off" and in all different selections of the switch. If you park in front of a store with nice windows it will save you many trips in & out of your vehicle to look. Because the halo lights are pretty dim and most of the time a person cant tell they are on unless if front of a window. But yeah keep my posted on what you figure out.
Yep. You are right. Because they are not very bright I guess I never noticed them! Maybe because the Laramie and upper trims get LED lighting?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 018447 miles.

Foofee99

Reaction score
You are correct, they dont penetrate glass. However I do have a 3rd gen night vision. :)

Sorry old post. Were you able to figure something out? Many folks recommended a Tazer device but Dark mode only kills off all the lights when the car is in park. Stupid but we need something for motion..what about any fuses to pull?

Drewster

Reaction score
Sorry old post. Were you able to figure something out? Many folks recommended a Tazer device but Dark mode only kills off all the lights when the car is in park. Stupid but we need something for motion..what about any fuses to pull?
Local PD has entered the chat...

Pulling fuses would be the best way to do something actively illegal and dangerous.

palumaa

Reaction score
Has anyone found a solution to this? TazerDT helps with it a bit, but only up to 5 miles per hour, after that the lights come on. I asked the Automotive company if they plan to further develop it on TazerDT, but allegedly their lawyers don't allow them to increase the speed because it would be against the law.
I often go hunting, and for me, it is essential to drive without lights up to at least 20 miles per hour.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone found a solution to this? TazerDT helps with it a bit, but only up to 5 miles per hour, after that the lights come on. I asked the Automotive company if they plan to further develop it on TazerDT, but allegedly their lawyers don't allow them to increase the speed because it would be against the law.
I often go hunting, and for me, it is essential to drive without lights up to at least 20 miles per hour.
What type of hunting are you doing that requires driving 20mph with no lights on? Is this urban environment hunting of bipedal mammals?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What type of hunting are you doing that requires driving 20mph with no lights on? Is this urban environment hunting of bipedal mammals?
I don't think it's that uncommon to not be allowed to use lights when hunting in some areas and some game.

What lights are you trying to turn off?
You can just turn your headlights off if that's all you care about...

Users who are viewing this thread