5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting to consoder noy buying a new Ram

Bwarren2

Reaction score
It seems like these have terrible build quality and a full of problems. From the poll on here, 35% of you have had no problems, I don't recall the 4th Gens to have so many issues.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m waiting till end of year thinking they will have the early issues ironed out by then. No rush for me, I have a 2015 with 26k miles on it.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind the dozens on this forum with issues vs the thousands, or even tens of thousands that have been built. Not downplaying the issues but you can get a very myopic view of the 2019 quality by hanging on every complaint.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind the dozens on this forum with issues vs the thousands, or even tens of thousands that have been built. Not downplaying the issues but you can get a very myopic view of the 2019 quality by hanging on every complaint.

Exactly, I was typing a very similar reply prior to you posting. Every truck has issues, but some don't consider them issues. I think the A/C problem could be a subjective one. I personally think it is sub-par but others say it's fine. I think certain uConnect behaviors are issues and others like them the way they operate. For the majority of us members we are car folks, enthusiasts and people that care what oil we put in. RAM truck sells to more people who simply don't pay attention to what we do.

You will see this with every manufacturer on product launch, how the manufacturer deals with the concerns is what will make them or break them.

Cluck

Reaction score
I'm the same boat.. 90% sure I was buying a new RAM a few months ago, not so much now. I think about the numbers and all that. But it seems to be the brakes, clunk, and AC is a problem for too many. 12in screen is also buggy, but seems better after the updates. With that said, I'm sure the 2020 models will be awesome.... I just need a new truck now, not next year.

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
I'm the same boat.. 90% sure I was buying a new RAM a few months ago, not so much now. I think about the numbers and all that. But it seems to be the brakes, clunk, and AC is a problem for too many. 12in screen is also buggy, but seems better after the updates. With that said, I'm sure the 2020 models will be awesome.... I just need a new truck now, not next year.
I believe the designers and engineers at Ram are way ahead of the field. Ok, could have went with a Ford, but their front end makes me GAG! A former GM guy, they just began to bore me to sleep. The 6.2 is a good/great engine, but so is the 5.7 Hemi, and how many complaints have you seen about the engine or transmission on the new Ram?

Bwarren2

Reaction score

You can't assume people on this forum don't have issues, this is a small sample agreed, but adding others in could make the percentage worse

Han Ridge

Reaction score
I was concerned about this also but went ahead and purchased one off the lot last week. The issues posted are valid but can appear more widespread then they actually are. I am keeping my fingers crossed but no clunk and the brakes, AC & 12” are fine on my truck so fare.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems like the fix is in for the squeaky brakes with the redesigned pads.

Some have resolved their a/c concerns through settings (max a/c). It’s my belief that the panoramic sunroof is a contributing factor with the a/c issue (added heat load), I will not be getting that option anyway. And if you’re buying a quad cab (less interior to cool) it may not be an issue. In any case there will be a fix before the really hot months come again, it’s end of summer now.

Ram knows there’s a problem with the clunk for some. Once they nail down the cause it will get fixed as well.

There’s a good chance the truck you purchase will have none of these issues. If it does it’s only a matter of time. So question is, if you really want the 2019 now, and you’re one of the unlucky, can you live with it until a fix comes?

There are plenty of other options. You’ve got 2018 Rams with great discounts, 2019 Classics, F150s, 2018 GM trucks with good discounts. Probably stay away from the 2019 GM trucks if you have first year jitters.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree! Nothing against forums once again but I read through them very carefully not weighing too much on certain issues. Forums are great for information but personally I will not completely base any decision off of a forum of any kind. Fortunately I have had a problem free truck with 3,400 miles so far. I use this forum for performance related and custom upgrade type of subject matter mostly. I have stopped “searching” for problems with my truck in a “witch hunt” fashion from the problems I read about on here. Don’t get me wrong, for those having issues it would be very frustrating and I know I would feel the same as they do. If I based all my truck related decisions off this forum then my truck would completely suck!:unsure: I have the AVS ventvisors which some hate, I have the Rough Country lift which seems to be the worse because of a you tube video! And it is all installed on a ‘19 Ram which is a complete POS to some. Sorry, I’m going to get some info off here and have some fun on the forum, but serious final decisions I will trust my local people here such as my lift guy I’ve been using for over 24 years for example!;)

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can't assume people on this forum don't have issues, this is a small sample agreed, but adding others in could make the percentage worse
This site will attract squeaky wheels, not that their issues aren’t valid, they are. But it’s the nature of things, if you encounter a problem with your new vehicle you are likely to seek out answers on a site like this. I think the percentage of completely satisfied 2019 Ram buyers is much higher than what this site may infer. Just my opinion.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This site will attract squeaky wheels, not that their issues aren’t valid, they are. But it’s the nature of things, if you encounter a problem with your new vehicle you are likely to seek out answers on a site like this. I think the percentage of completely satisfied 2019 Ram buyers is much higher than what this site may infer. Just my opinion.
Exactly!

ponypride

Reaction score
I am a little nervous bit I bought a 2016 Pilot in its first proflduction year. Their forum was filled with transmission failure issues resulting from cooler issues and anti freeze and transmission fluid mixing together. It took over a year.but a TSB was issued. Non of the RAM issues seem to be safety related. The clunk and brake squeal are both an annoyance. I am most concerned about the water leak in the cabin, as my vehicle will stay outside. Just my perspective.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
I would hold off if you can, atleast until they have known fixes (that work) for everything. I am regretting buying this truck, it's not comfortable to drive in with the sporadic climate controls and crappy AC, hear a clunk on almost every bump now, centre console squeaks. My wife doesn't even like riding in it anymore, he told me yesterday to try and get a buy back. It seems it's one thing g after another on a weekly basis with mine.

Has been to the dealer twice, AC reportedly works fine (I tested it and it's not as cold as they said)
Clunk is no where near being fixed after 2 visits
Fuel economy modes not fixed
And now the climate control being all over the map temperature wise, I can't wait to see what kind of bull crap excuse it get for that.

Atcje

Reaction score
I believe this forum is more accurate than most want to accept. I was a member of this site before my truck was built and I too wanted to believe these problems people are having were isolated. Now that I have my truck I know the problems are more chronic than I hoped or I am just a very unlucky person. I don't think only people looking for problems join forums. I take anything internet based with a grain of salt, I read reviews and read opinions in forums to help with a decision but I look for factual, consistent, information and not just a troll or someone bitching about a product because the door greeter gave them a bad look. The bottom line is this, are you willing to deal with half a dozen nitnoid problems to own of of these trucks? Because the chances are high (in my opinion) that you will. Now for me I still think the truck is worth it or I wouldn't still have my truck. Here's a small example of what I'm talking about, a piece of door trim comes off going down the interstate. All in all not that big of a deal, take it to the shop and have them replace the piece, but the scratch in the paint where it hit the side of my bed is a big deal because to get it fixed means trip number 2 to the body shop for paint work.

Attachments

• 20180903_093424.jpg
    20180903_093424.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 138

Bwarren2

Reaction score
Just saw reviews on Edmund's and it seems Ram has some serious issues with the 2019. I am. a huge Ramnfan and have 2011 that I'm ready to trade. Considering the eco diesel and how FCA is still selling those, I have lost almost all confidence in buying a RAM. I have had very few issues w mine over 135K miles. Everything on the 2019 was around on the 2018 suns the uodated uconnect and etorque, expected fewer issues

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe this forum is more accurate than most want to accept. I was a member of this site before my truck was built and I too wanted to believe these problems people are having were isolated. Now that I have my truck I know the problems are more chronic than I hoped or I am just a very unlucky person. I don't think only people looking for problems join forums. I take anything internet based with a grain of salt, I read reviews and read opinions in forums to help with a decision but I look for factual, consistent, information and not just a troll or someone bitching about a product because the door greeter gave them a bad look. The bottom line is this, are you willing to deal with half a dozen nitnoid problems to own of of these trucks? Because the chances are high (in my opinion) that you will. Now for me I still think the truck is worth it or I wouldn't still have my truck. Here's a small example of what I'm talking about, a piece of door trim comes off going down the interstate. All in all not that big of a deal, take it to the shop and have them replace the piece, but the scratch in the paint where it hit the side of my bed is a big deal because to get it fixed means trip number 2 to the body shop for paint work.

Sorry to hear about this and sympathize with the paint issue resulting from it. But I have to ask - you're not driving around daily with the green Captain America sticker in the driver's window, are you?

Atcje

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this and sympathize with the paint issue resulting from it. But I have to ask - you're not driving around daily with the green Captain America sticker in the driver's window, are you?

Lol. Guilty, I even have the tag hanging out of the glove box. Wanted to see how things worked out before I changed anything on it.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree! Nothing against forums once again but I read through them very carefully not weighing too much on certain issues. Forums are great for information but personally I will not completely base any decision off of a forum of any kind. Fortunately I have had a problem free truck with 3,400 miles so far. I use this forum for performance related and custom upgrade type of subject matter mostly. I have stopped “searching” for problems with my truck in a “witch hunt” fashion from the problems I read about on here. Don’t get me wrong, for those having issues it would be very frustrating and I know I would feel the same as they do. If I based all my truck related decisions off this forum then my truck would completely suck!:unsure: I have the AVS ventvisors which some hate, I have the Rough Country lift which seems to be the worse because of a you tube video! And it is all installed on a ‘19 Ram which is a complete POS to some. Sorry, I’m going to get some info off here and have some fun on the forum, but serious final decisions I will trust my local people here such as my lift guy I’ve been using for over 24 years for example!;)

Good points, balanced perspective.

BTW, what is the build date on yours? I'm sure you've stated it here someplace, but it's too difficult to comb thorough & find.

Also, have you already posted new photos of all of the mods/accessories you've installed?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread