5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Start/Stop Inconsistency

Cdcrawford25

Reaction score
I noticed the start/stop is not consistently kicking in when stopped at intersections. It seems there may be some connection to whether A/C is on or needed? Does anyone have more details on what parameters make the start/stop happen? Truck has 100 miles on it and just learning about all its capabilities. Was at dealer service counter and asked and they said I would have to make an appointment. Figured I would start here first.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is from the manual..I dont have E-torque so I can't tell you how accurate it is.

Possible Reasons The Engine Does Not Autostop

Prior to engine shut down, the system will check many
safety and comfort conditions to see if they are fulfilled. In
following situations, the engine will not Autostop:

• Driver’s seat belt is not buckled.
• Driver’s door is not closed.
• The vehicle is on a steep grade.
• Cabin heating or cooling is in process and an acceptable
cabin temperature has not been achieved.
HVAC is set to full defrost mode at a high blower speed.
• Engine has not reached normal operating temperature.
• Engine temperature too high.
• The battery is charging.
• The transmission is not in DRIVE.
• Hood is open.
• Vehicle is in 4LO transfer case mode.
• Accelerator pedal input.
• Excessive 12 volt loads.

Conditions That Will Cause The Engine To Start Automatically
While In Autostop Mode

The engine will start automatically when:

• The transmission selector is moved from DRIVE to
REVERSE, NEUTRAL, or PARK.

• To maintain cabin temperature near the HVAC settings.
• HVAC is set to full defrost mode.
• 12 volt demand requires engine restart.
• Low brake vacuum (e.g. after several brake pedal applications).
• STOP/START OFF switch is pushed.
• 4WD system is put into 4LO mode.
• The emissions system override is present.
• A STOP/START system error present

Reaction score
I have about 260mi on my 2019 Rebel w/ eTorque. So far the autostart is pretty tame. But I did notice today something a little odd. I was stopped at a stop light behind another car. The engine shut off. When my AC kicked on the engine restarted. But it seemed the added power of the engine kicking in cause the truck to move forward slightly requiring me to depress the brake further. I had a couple of feet to the car in front of me but that is somewhat concering. Need to be sure break peddle is fully depressed I guess...

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have about 260mi on my 2019 Rebel w/ eTorque. So far the autostart is pretty tame. But I did notice today something a little odd. I was stopped at a stop light behind another car. The engine shut off. When my AC kicked on the engine restarted. But it seemed the added power of the engine kicking in cause the truck to move forward slightly requiring me to depress the brake further. I had a couple of feet to the car in front of me but that is somewhat concering. Need to be sure break peddle is fully depressed I guess...

I've had the same happen and came to the same conclusion. Have to keep an eye on it.

DKTGoods

Reaction score
I have over a thousand miles on my Laramie eTorque. With what your saying, most times it has to do with HVAC. As soon as all the parameters are met. eTorque works great. I have had the same issue with the truck starting while stopped but it never moved forward. I know when I lift my foot off the brake just a little it starts right up too. Not much play on lifting the foot.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have over a thousand miles on my Laramie eTorque. With what your saying, most times it has to do with HVAC. As soon as all the parameters are met. eTorque works great. I have had the same issue with the truck starting while stopped but it never moved forward. I know when I lift my foot off the brake just a little it starts right up too. Not much play on lifting the foot.
Starts as fast as a golf cart when it's warmed up, too.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had the same happen and came to the same conclusion. Have to keep an eye on it.

I've had this happen several times as well. The extra torque the kicks in when the e torque starts the engine does require you to push the brake down further to keep from learching forward sometimes.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had this happen several times as well. The extra torque the kicks in when the e torque starts the engine does require you to push the brake down further to keep from learching forward sometimes.

I believe it has to do with the hydro accumulator that the eTorque transmissions are equipped with but I'm out on a limb.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm currently driving a 2016 Mercedes GL 450 that has Start/Stop. What you guys are describing with the potential to lurch forward on restart isn't unique to the Hemi with eTorque. It's just something you learn to be aware of.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine got my attention the first time it started while stopped. It felt like it rocked forward but I'm sure it didn't actually roll ahead. It happens quite often here in Florida at traffic lights when the a/c needs to go.

Smoot178

Reaction score
I've actually had the truck in cruise control mode, which is compatible with the auto start/stop. When I was stopped and the cruise control was on, the engine started itself and actually moved forward a few inches before the cruise control applied more brake pressure, just like a human.

It was weird, lol.

jaxplace

Reaction score
I noticed the start/stop is not consistently kicking in when stopped at intersections. It seems there may be some connection to whether A/C is on or needed? Does anyone have more details on what parameters make the start/stop happen? Truck has 100 miles on it and just learning about all its capabilities. Was at dealer service counter and asked and they said I would have to make an appointment. Figured I would start here first.
So, I have also been looking at how my truck returns to run after stopping behind other cars while in the ACC mode. My car takes a relatively long time to return to run and resume. In fact, I frequently override the acceleration because it will get to maybe a 100' or so before the truck starts resuming with the cruise speed. After playing with distance bars on the ACC control, I think what happens is that the longer your distance is set the longer it takes for the run to resume, I tend to have a long trailing. Not sure if this is the way its designed but I sure would like a way to suspend the distancing on run/resume.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, I have also been looking at how my truck returns to run after stopping behind other cars while in the ACC mode. My car takes a relatively long time to return to run and resume. In fact, I frequently override the acceleration because it will get to maybe a 100' or so before the truck starts resuming with the cruise speed. After playing with distance bars on the ACC control, I think what happens is that the longer your distance is set the longer it takes for the run to resume, I tend to have a long trailing. Not sure if this is the way its designed but I sure would like a way to suspend the distancing on run/resume.
I installed this on mine back in October...works like a charm.

2019-2021 Ram 1500 Autostop Eliminator

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Sometimes my truck will be Start/Stop ready, but engine wont stop when I come to a complete stop until "stab down" on the brake pedal with a bit of extra force.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sometimes my truck will be Start/Stop ready, but engine wont stop when I come to a complete stop until "stab down" on the brake pedal with a bit of extra force.
This is the one oddity I've noticed with mine as well. If I come to a very gradual stop under light braking, I will have to press down harder to get it to shut off. It has caught me off guard a couple of times when it restarted after sitting for extended periods, but I just chalk it up to how it's designed to respond.

Hyfire

Reaction score
I’m happy with the system in my ‘21 with the exception that it disables start/stop when just the fan is on it’s coldest setting.

I would understand the A/C on, but why just the fan?

I’m guessing the added brake pressure to activate the start/stop is to prevent lurching and maybe, like the previous post, give a little input in when it comes on.

Rawyzf

Reaction score
Before starting a new thread, I'll try to see if you guys have an answer. When you depress the A button (wanna call it the auto start/stop button), to turn off the feature. Does the button light up, like the 2wd/4wd buttons? I see a little slot that I would think would light up when pressing the button, but it doesn't light up. If I press it, it turns the engine back on as I wanted....so I know the button works, but just don't know if it should light up too.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Before starting a new thread, I'll try to see if you guys have an answer. When you depress the A button (wanna call it the auto start/stop button), to turn off the feature. Does the button light up, like the 2wd/4wd buttons? I see a little slot that I would think would light up when pressing the button, but it doesn't light up. If I press it, it turns the engine back on as I wanted....so I know the button works, but just don't know if it should light up too.

It should light up, however, there is a known issue with the 2021’s that engineering is supposedly working on. A TSB was supposed to have been released at the beginning of January, yet we are still waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread