5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squeak after shut down?

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok here goes. 2020 ED Rebel. 30k miles - over the past 2-3 weeks after I shut the truck off and get out...5-10 seconds after there is a loud squeak from the rear underside. Now I'm guessing DEF / SCR system servo or something but anyone (diesel geeks) have any ideas? Going to dealer next week for a look but I have little to zero faith in them to diagnose an issue.

Cheers and thanks.

C

tom318

Reaction score
I've had the same thing for a pretty long time but I never considered it an issue. Both my VW TDIs would do this and newer BMWs as well (Gas). Its likely emissions system related. Ill follow this thread, maybe i should be concerned.
On my other cars it never turned into anything more but maybe with more time they would. I had a 2012 jetta TDI till 160k (VW bought back), still have a 2015 golf TDI with 97k, 2013 BMW X3 with 100k and my Ram is at 64k.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Rog. Maybe its nothing...lets hope. Thanks for the info.

Cheers
Hey Chris not sure if you got to the dealer yet, but some emissions systems will pump the DEF back to the reservoir to avoid it staying in the "fuel" lines and DEF injector during freezing temperatures. Wonder if maybe that's causing your noise.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah. They couldn’t replicate it. Lol. Even with 30 videos on my phone they couldn’t make it happen - until I left and it immediately did it at home. I think it’s the DEF system for sure but who knows ??

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Yeah. They couldn’t replicate it. Lol. Even with 30 videos on my phone they couldn’t make it happen - until I left and it immediately did it at home. I think it’s the DEF system for sure but who knows ??
Could you post a video of the noise?

cmdrflyr

Reaction score
I realize this is at startup but, did it sound like this?

This particular squeak is the Exhaust Valve Actuator. Some white lithium grease fixes it for a couple months.

Users who are viewing this thread