5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spammers - New changes to the forums

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
As many of you are well aware we had an issue with a spammer registering on the site and sending out scam PM's to our members. While we do have anti spam measures in place, some spammers do have ways around it as in any other online forum.

Due to this instance I have made a change where new members will need to have 5 posts in the forums before being able to use the private messaging system. This is unfortunate but shouldn't negatively affect anyone while helping to provide a spam/scam free atmosphere.

Thank you to everyone that brought this to my attention this morning.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jared Balfour said:
As many of you are well aware we had an issue with a spammer registering on the site and sending out scam PM's to our members. While we do have anti spam measures in place, some spammers do have ways around it as in any other online forum.

Due to this instance I have made a change where new members will need to have 5 posts in the forums before being able to use the private messaging system. This is unfortunate but shouldn't negatively affect anyone while helping to provide a spam/scam free atmosphere.

Thank you to everyone that brought this to my attention this morning.
Yup, I got that message this morning as well. I think almost all forums require 5-10 posts in order to message.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, it is pretty standard. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that but here we are. Lesson learned.
1f621.png

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jared Balfour said:
Yeah, it is pretty standard. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that but here we are. Lesson learned.
1f621.png
It's pretty amazing how prolific they have been on a brand new site!

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It's unfortunately just a fact of the internet these days. On the flip side it just means the site gets a lot of exposure which is good. I do also pay yearly for software which helps block spammers, as a matter of fact here is whats been blocked so far just so you guys have an idea.
(see attachment)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 3.20.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 3.20.57 PM.png
    9 KB · Views: 235

LordHobbit

Reaction score
Thank you for the efforts and changes.

Was shocked just now at the change in looks. Wasn't on all weekend and come on today to a surprise!

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
LordHobbit said:
Thank you for the efforts and changes.

Was shocked just now at the change in looks. Wasn't on all weekend and come on today to a surprise!
I hope you like the changes. I actually wanted to keep the same look but that wasn't possible after the software update although I do like this style as well. This style will be remaining although I would like to spruce it up a bit at some point, functionality wise and overall it will remain the same.

R

Ryan

You mean to tell me there's not actually someone with three months to live who is willing to give a complete stranger control of their bank account?
1f609.png

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Ryan said:
You mean to tell me there's not actually someone with three months to live who is willing to give a complete stranger control of their bank account?
1f609.png
Sorry to break it to you...
1f61b.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/