5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sound quality-volume on all inputs?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, I'm generally an AM news guy in the morning and then XM the rest of the day. I've finally had time to really get to know the different nuances of each input at Uconnect version 18.07.37.

My theory is that everyone has different experiences based on the version of Uconnect they have and RAM/FCA is trying to level off the sound, one owner at a time... seems tedious and I'm frustrated that it's not just sound, but the other little things like themes and favorites. But I digress... on to my sound experience;

AM - Fine sound, clear and no distortion. Can't tell any difference between HD or not HD.

FM - Loud and very clear, probably the best FM receiver in a vehicle I've owned.

SXM - Incredibly loud, can max out my comfort around 25 out of 38... so loud and slightly distorted beyond 25 volume. That's the one that seems odd to me, everyone else complains the XM is so quiet. Not in my truck.

CD - This is the strange one... SUPER quiet, like no sound until 10 on the volume and at 38 it's clear and easy to listen to. Very strange, the direct input volumes should be the loudest.

Bluetooth/USB - About the same as FM. Clear and loud.

Anyone else with my Uconnect version have the same results? And maybe those with different versions post how each input sounds so we can see if newer versions of Uconnect are getting a more level sound field accross the inputs.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm generally an AM news guy in the morning and then XM the rest of the day. I've finally had time to really get to know the different nuances of each input at Uconnect version 18.07.37.

My theory is that everyone has different experiences based on the version of Uconnect they have and RAM/FCA is trying to level off the sound, one owner at a time... seems tedious and I'm frustrated that it's not just sound, but the other little things like themes and favorites. But I digress... on to my sound experience;

AM - Fine sound, clear and no distortion. Can't tell any difference between HD or not HD.

FM - Loud and very clear, probably the best FM receiver in a vehicle I've owned.

SXM - Incredibly loud, can max out my comfort around 25 out of 38... so loud and slightly distorted beyond 25 volume. That's the one that seems odd to me, everyone else complains the XM is so quiet. Not in my truck.

CD - This is the strange one... SUPER quiet, like no sound until 10 on the volume and at 38 it's clear and easy to listen to. Very strange, the direct input volumes should be the loudest.

Anyone else with my Uconnect version have the same results? And maybe those with different versions post how each input sounds so we can see if newer versions of Uconnect are getting a more level sound field accross the inputs.

Quantify this...this is the 19 speaker HK system...I see you have the Alpine

XM - not even close to loud enough..i can consistently max it out and still want more...and no I'm not A teenager lol

Bluetooth - definitely dependent on the song being played and how good my recording was. I just listen off Google play so I don't have FLACs to try.

FM is better than serious and some of the HD stations come in loud enough for me.

I like the sound of the HK system (although the sub could be better) but I'm disappointed in the loudness factor.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Forgot to add phone call sound... ****ING terrible! Defaults to 14 and sounds like an old gramophone coming out of one door speaker. My 16' had flawless phone sound and remembered my previous volume regardless how long the truck was off.

Worst part of my sound experience, by far.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I listen to Alternative, mostly IHeart radio on a tether. I also have taken advantage of the apple music free subscription offered with this system. Sound quality is best when plugged in . I do listen via bluetooth on the occasion my carplay goes into its disconnect,reconnect mode which will last for a bit. I find the blue tooth is a bit muddy in its sound quality compare to the connected version. For best sound quality I use Spotify with a tether. The beauty of Spotify and or Vox is the built in equalizer which you can adjust to any configuation. it does a great job of hiding the flaws in our audio systems. It is a set and forget, or you can play as much as you like. The best part its free. Fm IMO. is a distant third. which is too bad because I have a nice fm station that I listen to at home and would like to have in my truck as an option. Sirrus, I find there sound quality not to my liking and try to avoid. Am, I have not tried. as with the cd. Just my opinon.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I listen to Alternative, mostly IHeart radio on a tether. I also have taken advantage of the apple music free subscription offered with this system. Sound quality is best when plugged in . I do listen via bluetooth on the occasion my carplay goes into its disconnect,reconnect mode which will last for a bit. I find the blue tooth is a bit muddy in its sound quality compare to the connected version. For best sound quality I use Spotify with a tether. The beauty of Spotify and or Vox is the built in equalizer which you can adjust to any configuation. it does a great job of hiding the flaws in our audio systems. It is a set and forget, or you can play as much as you like. The best part its free. Fm IMO. is a distant third. which is too bad because I have a nice fm station that I listen to at home and would like to have in my truck as an option. Sirrus, I find there sound quality not to my liking and try to avoid. Am, I have not tried. as with the cd. Just my opinon.
Out of curiosity, try your CD, if you don't mind and let us know if it's muted or loud.

And if everyone can, post your software version!

syddog 2000

Reaction score
Vader, pardon my ignroance, hoe do i find the software version?

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I also have taken advantage of the apple music free subscription offered with this system.
Off topic so the response should probably go in the thread link that follows, but this forum doesn’t have any “how to setup” or reviews on the Apple Music Ram offer. If you have time, consider adding your two cents here, I know I’m interested in hearing if it’s worth trying out. Maybe others are too. https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/fca-has-launched-special-apple-music-playlist.345/

And if everyone can, post your software version!
...and stereo type if not in your signature block: Stock, Alpine, or HK.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
Cd is loud. Sound is good bass needs to be turned up on my Alpine.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Vader, pardon my ignroance, hoe do i find the software version?
Go to settings, system information and before you tap information, tap and HOLD the first and last icons on the bottom of your screen at the same time, until another option pops up under system info, this activates dealer mode and now when you tap system info you can find the version number of all your systems.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
Go to settings, system information and before you tap information, tap and HOLD the first and last icons on the bottom of your screen at the same time, until another option pops up under system info, this activates dealer mode and now when you tap system info you can find the version number of all your systems.
I have the 12 inch screen this does not work on it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I hadn't tested all of these out yet (on my 12" / 19-speaker HK system), so I just ran outside and gave it a shot. For the most part, they were closer in loudness than in quality, as follows:
  • AM = typical AM quality. I used a reference volume setting of 10 to compare to the others below.
  • FM (HD) = crystal-clear sound quality, about the same loudness (10).
  • Sirius XM = 'very good' sound quality (slightly compressed vs. HD), slightly quieter (needs 11/12 to match AM/FM loudness).
  • Carplay Apple Music = 'very good' sound quality (as above), also needs 11/12.
  • Carplay Phone = sound is fine if the other party has good reception and is not using a speakerphone. Since the iPhone controls phone audio separately from music, I needed this to be at 15 to match the loudness of the radio.
  • CD = excellent sound quality and every bit as loud as the radio (10).
That's all I've tested so far, although I seem to recall that the navigation prompts are plenty loud by default.

Cheers!

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm going to make a bold assumption that the 12" and 8.4 have completely different software and updates. Makes it all very complicated.

96Dodge4x4

CDJR Technician
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a 19 speaker system and are disappointed with the sound level there is now a tsb out to fix the issue.

Last edited:

96Dodge4x4

CDJR Technician
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I sent it over should be posted into the main tab thread soon but I can post in here as well soon

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put a call into my service rep to get the ball rolling on my little uConnect gremlins when I come in for my windshield replacement soon.

He mentioned they were baffled as to why my VIN wouldn't register an update since my software version was clearly out of date. He hinted that they may look at a replacement if FCA cannot confirm the reason for the inability to perform an update on my head unit.

I'll post results as this continues to unfold.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I put a call into my service rep to get the ball rolling on my little uConnect gremlins when I come in for my windshield replacement soon.

He mentioned they were baffled as to why my VIN wouldn't register an update since my software version was clearly out of date. He hinted that they may look at a replacement if FCA cannot confirm the reason for the inability to perform an update on my head unit.

I'll post results as this continues to unfold.
From the look of your bio your truck has the alpine system, and this particular TSB is only for the Harmon Kardon systems.

Users who are viewing this thread