5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sorry, MD is not the South

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's called the "Mid-Atlantic" ;)
We had this same discussion about PA.

We went through all the geographic categories.

It is interesting how you can come up with areas.

Just like when someone says the tri state area. It means many different things to many different people.

Good times.

Reactions: cj7

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

Just like when someone says the tri state area. It means many different things to many different people.

Good times.
I grew up in MD almost 60-years ago. This is not "made-up". Folks have been calling the MD-DE-NC region "Mid-Atlantic" for far longer than you and I have been on this earth.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up in MD almost 60-years ago. This is not "made-up". Folks have been calling the MD-DE-NC region "Mid-Atlantic" for far longer than you and I have been on this earth.
I didnt mean you...i meant anyone.

He broke it down into the easieset sections.

I am not disagreeing with you. I am agreeing with you.

It is irrelevant to me. I was just joining in the conversation

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

They told us Pennsylvanians and New Yorkers are not part of the North East.

This is why I found this funny and joined in.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210102-230127.png

This is what I meant by

The Mid Atlantic would include us together.

I am a geography fan. I love history and love the way the United States came together.

Good times

mophead

Reaction score
Mason Dixon is northern border, nuff said. Only reason Md wasn't confederate was all the politicians in DC in the way, LOL. I'm near BelAir Md (north of Ball-mer) There's historical markers all up and down the road with references to Union AND Confederate officers. Besides my mom was from Georgia.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 78422

This is what I meant by

The Mid Atlantic would include us together.

I am a geography fan. I love history and love the way the United States came together.

Good times
The only map that was correctly displayed in your screenshot was the touropia dot com map.
Everyone knows Texas is a standalone state.
We're are our own region.
🤣🤣

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It all depends on your perspective I've learned over the years my thoughts about what is the South vs the Midwest is alot different from other folks. I start hearing the southern drawl in Southern Iowa!

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea, the Mason Dixon line seems to have crept down over the years. It is now south of Arlington, Fairfax and Loudoun counties in Virginia....

zfwjs

Reaction score

Good times.

PA is it's own region. Yinzers on the west, Philly on the east, and Alabama in the middle.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It is kind of weird seeing Md categorized in South and not Mid-Atlantic- I've never seen that done on a forum.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mason Dixon is northern border, nuff said. Only reason Md wasn't confederate was all the politicians in DC in the way, LOL. I'm near BelAir Md (north of Ball-mer) There's historical markers all up and down the road with references to Union AND Confederate officers. Besides my mom was from Georgia.
You know the story here, right?

When Maryland was threatening to secede, Lincoln ensured troops were stationed in Rockville, Annapolis and other sites, totaling >20,000. A new push for secession was to be addressed by the MD General Assembly, which had been trying to remain neutral, with interests on both sides. The session was set to open in the temporarily anointed state capital of Frederick, after previously voting both not to secede, and not to allow Union troops to use its rail lines. On Sept 17, 1861, just as the Assembly was to convene, the President ordered the Conferedate sympathizing leaders arrested and held at Ft. McHenry. The secession effort died for lack of a quorum, the capital was moved back to Annapolis, and the state government tilted to support Federal war efforts. Maryland remained an unenthusiastic Union partner, but despite (or because) 40% of its population was slaves, emancipated them and abolished slavery before the war ended.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My first house was in Bel Air right off Red Pump. Great town and we loved it there.

Users who are viewing this thread