5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something loose inside the dash making a light knocking noise when going over bumps. Has anyone else had this problem ? Thanks.... Well I've foun

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
The bolster under the steering comes out with a couple screws. Take it out and have a look. Betcha anything there's a tracking device or some add-on antitheft device that was poorly installing at the dealership.

Bigga826

Reaction score
I had the same problem, took alot of troubleshooting. Look at the picture, the panel that goes over the shifter needs some tension. I applied foam tape about 1" thick to the underside of the shifter and then squeezed the panel back on when the shifter was put back. No more noise!

Attachments

• IMG_20210113_111147.jpg
    IMG_20210113_111147.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 63

Bigga826

Reaction score
I had the same problem, took alot of troubleshooting. Look at the picture, the panel that goes over the shifter needs some tension. I applied foam tape about 1" thick to the underside of the shifter and then squeezed the panel back on when the shifter was put back. No more noise!
Also when driving test it first, apply alot of pressure to the panel directly under the shifter in an upward force.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
  1. Knocking noise under the dash just to the left of the radio

When I'm going over bumps in the road I'm starting to hear a Knocking noise under the dash , 🤬 is anyone else having this problem ?

Hey @T bone !
Sorry to hear about the concerns you're experiencing. Our best advice would be to get this properly diagnosed by a certified Ram dealer. If you'd like additional support while working alongside your dealer once you have an appointment set up, feel free to reach back out to our RamCares team! Otherwise, we hope everything works out smoothly for you.

Courtney
Ram Cares

sicpuppy

Reaction score
Thought that happened to me. Had a rattle in dash. It turned out to be the visor wasn't seated in the catch on the roof. I popped it in and the rattle went away.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a knocking noise that I thought was coming from the dash. It turned out to be the passenger side seatbelt latch knocking against the center console.

T bone

Reaction score
Also when driving test it first, apply alot of pressure to the panel directly under the shifter in an upward force.
I've never posted on 5th Gen Rams before, this is pretty cool. Thanks for all the ideas . Will get to work on them now .

T bone

Reaction score
Thought that happened to me. Had a rattle in dash. It turned out to be the visor wasn't seated in the catch on the roof. I popped it in and the rattle went away.
You are not even going to believe this, but that's what it was . The visor was out of its catch. Popped it in, no more knocking !! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

T bone

Reaction score

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You are not even going to believe this, but the visor was not all the way in it's catch. Popped it in, no more knocking.. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ that's what it was . Sorry guys but now I feel pretty dumb !! Dang it man !!
Had that with my 2019...easy resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread