5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOLVED! Unable to Calibrate FCW/ACC After Adding 6" Suspension Lift on 37's...

jwiley386

Reaction score
I need help 5th Gen Family.. SOLVED

[mod: if you're as confused as the rest of us why the solution wasn't added to the 1st post when the title was edited, you can find it in post #11. :unsure: ]

Nearly 6months after my 6" Suspension Lift was added on 37s with Factory Rims, I have all of a sudden 6 months later begun seeing Dashboard Check Lights for the ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) and the FCW (Forward Collision Warning). Prior to last week's highway adventure (standard driving), the FWC and ACC were working just fine WITH the 6" lift installed.

After bringing to dealership to service the ACC/FWC Warning Lights, I was advised of the below (also see picture below for dealer statement)
"After completion of update ACC lost configuration. During reconfiguration found that vehicle will not calibrate due to ride height. Max allowable ride height is 1100mm. Truck currently sitting at 1168mm."
...Mind you, a 68mm difference is 2" roughly.

I was advised that there is essentially no way to override this warning light, where in layman's terms, the Truck is sitting too high in the front for the Collision Avoidance to work... (insert sad face)

Again, this is odd to me because for nearly 6 months the Truck presented ZERO issues with the new lift, and I can confirm the ACC and FCW worked completely normal after the 6" lift until last week...

Does anyone have a work around for this?
I was thinking if I could program the computer to think its sitting at 1100mm than it should begin working again, even though its actually sitting at 1168mm. However, the dealer could not confirm.

Currently the truck is sitting on, (see below for Image)
- 6" Rough Country Suspension Lift
- Vertex Front/Rear shocks
- 22" Factory Ram Rims
- 1/2" Spacer on all 4 wheels
- 37" Firestone Mud Terrains

Ram 2023.png
Ram 2023 2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i have zero experience with that, but when i was reading i also think you should programme it at 1100 mm even tho its a little more,
other then that maybe a programmer could fix this, like the alpha or lazer...?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can’t they just air the tires down until it drops down to 1100mm and then calibrate it? Or throw a set of OEM wheels on it?

jwiley386

Reaction score
Can’t they just air the tires down until it drops down to 1100mm and then calibrate it? Or throw a set of OEM wheels on it?
Hmmm that is absolutely worth asking. That will be my contingency plan should we not be able to figure it out.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going through the same issue, but I’ve got a considerably smaller lift and tires.

I’ve had the tires since April 2022, and the lift a few months before that. In September 2022, these same warning lights came on (on day two of a road trip, no less, when ACC would have been very nice).

The dealer has been trying, off and on, to fix the issue since late September. I’ve taken the truck home when they were waiting on parts (including a new camera, which they did replace) or more info from Ram, or on a few occasions when I simply needed/wanted my truck.

So it hasn’t been in the shop this entire time, and the dealer hasn’t given up on fixing it.

Our lifts and tires are different, but what is the same is that we both had functioning vehicles for months after these upgrades, and then things went bad. So I’m not convinced the ride height is to blame, or at least not the only factor.

My dealer told me today they’ve got another truck in with the same issue, and previous statements made it clear I’m not the first truck they’ve had the same issue with.

I didn’t think to ask if these trucks also had been lifted or fitted with bigger tires. However, they did say they would try putting stock wheels and tires on mine to see if that made a difference. Presumably, they did try it and still no dice.

Good luck (and wish me luck, as well).

jwiley386

Reaction score
I’m going through the same issue, but I’ve got a considerably smaller lift and tires.

I’ve had the tires since April 2022, and the lift a few months before that. In September 2022, these same warning lights came on (on day two of a road trip, no less, when ACC would have been very nice).

The dealer has been trying, off and on, to fix the issue since late September. I’ve taken the truck home when they were waiting on parts (including a new camera, which they did replace) or more info from Ram, or on a few occasions when I simply needed/wanted my truck.

So it hasn’t been in the shop this entire time, and the dealer hasn’t given up on fixing it.

Our lifts and tires are different, but what is the same is that we both had functioning vehicles for months after these upgrades, and then things went bad. So I’m not convinced the ride height is to blame, or at least not the only factor.

My dealer told me today they’ve got another truck in with the same issue, and previous statements made it clear I’m not the first truck they’ve had the same issue with.

I didn’t think to ask if these trucks also had been lifted or fitted with bigger tires. However, they did say they would try putting stock wheels and tires on mine to see if that made a difference. Presumably, they did try it and still no dice.

Good luck (and wish me luck, as well).
Best of luck to you my friend.

UPDATE: Within the last few hours after picking it up from dealer, it has now a check engine light, traction control warning light, no longer remote starts (shuts off after few seconds, with a full tank), the truck puts itself into Drive (only one occasion this has happened, tonight), my headlights are unable to be manually flipped off anymore, they just remain on even if i turn the switch off..
(queue twilight zone music)

wth is going on?!

Its going directly back first thing tmrw.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So
Best of luck to you my friend.

UPDATE: Within the last few hours after picking it up from dealer, it has now a check engine light, traction control warning light, no longer remote starts (shuts off after few seconds, with a full tank), the truck puts itself into Drive (only one occasion this has happened, tonight), my headlights are unable to be manually flipped off anymore, they just remain on even if i turn the switch off..
(queue twilight zone music)

wth is going on?!

Its going directly back first thing tmrw.

Sounds like you have a bad battery.

jwiley386

Reaction score
So

Sounds like you have a bad battery.
You know I read that somewhere to start with that, but you’d think a 3 month old battery would be good, esp considering the dealer installed… but then again, the dealer installed… 🧐

That will be my first question tomorrow.

jwiley386

Reaction score
Dropped back off at Dealership.

Truck threw a Vacuum Pump error initially which they are investigating. I believe I read somewhere that the Stability Control warning light may be related to that Pump..

They are also going to attempt the stock tire swap/reprogramming to see if the truck can be tricked into thinking its lower that 1100mm. However, I still have yet to find any research that points to the "Ride Height" issue - can anyone over 4" lift confirm if they are having this issue?

jwiley386

Reaction score
After a full week at dealership, we have a solution (hoping permanent)

Dealer was able to reprogram computer by swapping a pair of stock tires from the lot and reprogamming the ride height to 1099mm. The threshold held by RAM in currently 1100mm. They are unsure what triggered the truck to suddenly calibrate a ride height o 1168mm after 6months of being on the road with the same new lift kit (RC 6") and were perplexed as to how to fix it using traditional methods.

Hope this helps anyone with a 6"+ lift kit that experiences the issue I had (ACC warning light, FCW warning light) both systems went into override mode and were nonfunctional suddenly last week however the only saving grace and the only reason the dealer took a second look is because for 6months it worked as intended, even with the 6" lift at 1168mm.

Goes to show you, always ask questions and do your research.

I just hope the truck does not attempt to recalibrate, if it does than I may have to buy an aftermarket module to trick the truck into thinking it can allow for 1200mm ride height, rather than 1100mm... fingers crossed.

Thank you all!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Dealer was able to reprogram computer by swapping a pair of stock tires from the lot and reprogamming the ride height to 1099mm. The threshold held by RAM in currently 1100mm. They are unsure what triggered the truck to suddenly calibrate a ride height o 1168mm after 6months of being on the road with the same new lift kit (RC 6") and were perplexed as to how to fix it using traditional methods.

Hope this helps anyone with a 6"+ lift kit that experiences the issue I had (ACC warning light, FCW warning light) both systems went into override mode and were nonfunctional suddenly last week however the only saving grace and the only reason the dealer took a second look is because for 6months it worked as intended, even with the 6" lift at 1168mm.

I just hope the truck does not attempt to recalibrate, if it does than I may have to buy an aftermarket module to trick the truck into thinking it can allow for 1200mm ride height, rather than 1100mm... fingers crossed.

Thank you all!
How does the truck know how much of a lift you have to recalibrate itself?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably worth having Alfa or Tazar DT anyways just for their other cool features and the what if this happens to happen again to avoid the dealer assuming any of these will reprogram what you need to reprogram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jwiley386

Reaction score
How does the truck know how much of a lift you have to recalibrate itself?
I believe there is a camera behind the rear view mirror (correct me if I am wrong) that coincides with the ACC/FCW and other safety features that I guess somehow calibrates the ride height. However, I was unable to find anything of the sort online, I did question it and wonder if maybe that was the dealers way of justifying not having to fix the problem solely because of the aftermarket lift. Yet, unlikely because I know the owner very well and they look out for me there big time in other ways!

Maybe someone can provide some more clarity?

Last edited:

jwiley386

Reaction score
Probably worth having Alfa or Tazar DT anyways just for their other cool features and the what if this happens to happen again to avoid the dealer assuming any of these will reprogram what you need to reprogram.

When you say cool features, are we talking performance or technical? I am not interested necessarily in anything performance based (unless it can help my gas mileage on 37s). However, anything technological that im missing out on please.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When you say cool features, are we talking performance or technical? I am not interested necessarily in anything performance based (unless it can help my gas mileage on 37s). However, anything technological that im missing out on please.
Autofold mirrors, light show, pulse third brake light, brake assist at stop lights(push brake down for three seconds lights will flash in dash and you can take foot off brake and it will hold). Can adjust for tire size changes, enable some features, change splash screen on EVIC, enable amber DRL,........

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not really performance based but enables you to configure a lot of add ons that you would normal have to have the dealer program as long as the parts are there. Things like calibrating tire size, enabling cargo cam, power fold mirrors auto fold etc. others would be more experiences with it can probably chime in better I only brief tinkered with it.

Edit: got ninja’d

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Thank you all!
Glad to hear you're back in business!

Coincidentally, my dealer called me today to say they're planning on doing the same thing (putting on stock wheels/tires to calibrate). They told me they were going to do that weeks ago, but I guess it took them a while to get a stock set they could swap. Hopefully, it works for me too.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Thank you all!

It might be helpful to update your first post with the fix or a link to the fix post to help others from having to search the thread for it.

jwiley386

Reaction score
Glad to hear you're back in business!

Coincidentally, my dealer called me today to say they're planning on doing the same thing (putting on stock wheels/tires to calibrate). They told me they were going to do that weeks ago, but I guess it took them a while to get a stock set they could swap. Hopefully, it works for me too.
Generally once a solution is provided it is put into the “network”, curious if my tech did just that and now others can benefit and get a resolution. Either way, glad it’s being rectified for ya! Im over 24hrs and no warning lights 👏

Users who are viewing this thread