5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Software updates = better MPG?

Mason1217

Reaction score
I know MPG has been talked about at nausea on these forums, but I’ve read a lot of post about people having software flashes to transmission, PCM’s etc, but no one has updated if any of these software changes have improved mileage. Just curious if software changes have a real world effect on MPG.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know MPG has been talked about at nausea on these forums, but I’ve read a lot of post about people having software flashes to transmission, PCM’s etc, but no one has updated if any of these software changes have improved mileage. Just curious if software changes have a real world effect on MPG.

I got them done Monday and filled up and started tracking. EVIC shows ~1 MPG better around town but I won't post any solid numbers until I hand calculate.
Don't need a roasting because I didn't do it the right way...

Zinger

Reaction score
I got them done Monday and filled up and started tracking. EVIC shows ~1 MPG better around town but I won't post any solid numbers until I hand calculate.
Don't need a roasting because I didn't do it the right way...

Same here. I went from about 13.5 on around town short trips to 14.6. I as well have yet to verify via hand Calc but at my first fill up my computer matched within 0.1 MPG.

ortvk

Reaction score
Do you just ask for these updates?

Also wondering. Called for first oil change and asked if they knew if any type of software updates were available. She said my computer shows me nothing. Maybe its eTorque only?

CouchAssault

Reaction score

if they apply to your vehicle the dealer will do them as RRT(rapid response transmital) update/flash to your truck. They should perform any RRT that matches your vin anytime your truck comes in for service.

I believe they only apply to e-torque equipped vehicles.

mine took some time to overall improve my mpg. I think it had to work through the drive cycles to really see improvement.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I did and my dealer then asked what the truck was doing. I get that they need to document a problem to work on it so I just rattled off a few symptoms that the RRT's addressed. They took them down and went to work.
When they were finished the advisor actually worded it like "we duplicated the issue and found three updates that addressed it. You're ready to go."

Not sure if it's tied to warranty reimbursement or how their software system is structured but I believe it helps if you "play the game."
1. Here is my problem / symptoms you can address
2. BTW, here are the TSBs / RRTs / crazy internet fixes that address
3. Bill uncle FCA please

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you go and flash a module. The Witech- before it does actually asks the tech why are you doing it. Flowchart took you to this, codes, TSBs, symptoms. Ect
Yes play the game, even dealer has to play to get paid. Honestly, you want to be accurate to help Fca fix issues.
Few years back when I ran into a bunch of van BCM issues of some sort, always had to talk to a engineer from Chrysler. Go over customer complaints what, where and how I came to that conclusion before they would send a new one.

Last edited:

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
I did and my dealer then asked what the truck was doing. I get that they need to document a problem to work on it so I just rattled off a few symptoms that the RRT's addressed. They took them down and went to work.
When they were finished the advisor actually worded it like "we duplicated the issue and found three updates that addressed it. You're ready to go."

Not sure if it's tied to warranty reimbursement or how their software system is structured but I believe it helps if you "play the game."
1. Here is my problem / symptoms you can address
2. BTW, here are the TSBs / RRTs / crazy internet fixes that address
3. Bill uncle FCA please

My mileage is pretty crappy, as many have complained. About 12.3 strictly around town with no highway at all. I'm pretty gentle on the throttle, so a lead right foot isn't the problem.

Other than fuel mileage, the truck runs fine. So what symptoms would I tell my dealer about in order to induce them to reflash in an attempt to improve mileage?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Straight up tell them your mileage is crap, you drive lightly and take all advantages of the e-torque system and mds. That you’ve heard around others with same issue has had updated software with positive results.
If that doesn’t work describe symptoms as Edwards has done

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My mileage is pretty crappy, as many have complained. About 12.3 strictly around town with no highway at all. I'm pretty gentle on the throttle, so a lead right foot isn't the problem.

Other than fuel mileage, the truck runs fine. So what symptoms would I tell my dealer about in order to induce them to reflash in an attempt to improve mileage?

I said rough downshifts (2-4 to 1st) and lurching on throttle after a stop. If you read the RRTs you can parrot any of the symptoms. I just tell the truth, what my truck is doing, but using the RRT wording so it makes their job easier, i.e. no translation.

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, guys. I appreciate it.

Since my original post in this thread, I went to Consumer Reports’ website to see what they had to say. In their road test, they achieved only 11mpg around town with a Hemi eTorque and 4wd so maybe my 12.3 isn’t so bad...well, it’s bad but perhaps just the way it is.

On the other hand, posts to this thread indicate 14-ish mpg can be expected after reflashing various and sundry components.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread