5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snow removal

SmittysTrk

Reaction score
No...Not using my truck to plow. But wondering what everyone's using to remove the white crap from the truck. Only reason I ask is there was just a commercial on hawking a Snow Joe snow broom. Looks like cheap junk to me but it did peak my interest. What are you using that does the least damage to the finish?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just grab one of those extendable snow and ice scrapers from Walmart that have the soft rubber snow remover on one side.

Attachments

• 71-ndrLK8gL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71-ndrLK8gL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 33

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
U

User_76295

Have a Snow Joe for the wife's car, works amazing on snow.
I use an extendable push brush with foam edges....so far so good!

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

BoDoP

Reaction score
When the white stuff is newly fallen and fluffy I use an rechargeable battery leaf blower. Works terrific and quick too.
SnowJoe works well for the heavier stuff.

SmittysTrk

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Guess I'll order a SnowJoe as it seems to be the go to snow remover. I do like the idea of using a leaf blower. But here in the Peoples Republic of NJ the snow is usually wet and too heavy.

jth877

Reaction score
Stick to removing snow from windows only if possible. If there was a large snowfall try to move the snow without touch any painted surfaces or try a leaf blower. Any snow removal tool will scratch the paint, sometimes pretty badly.

cleandirt

Reaction score
This video seemed to have some good ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Threesuns1

Reaction score
Bought two Snow Joes a couple years ago. They worked fine for an inch or three of dry show but struggled with 3 or more if the snow had any weight to it. And forget it if there was a thin layer of ice on top of snow. Both of mine broke at the plastic threads joining the handle to the blade.

Camelot

Reaction score
Remove all snow. People that only do the windows and leave 6" of snow on the roof to blow off, and ruin other peoples visibility, creates road hazards. It is illegal in some states even for private vehicles, not just commercial. Ticket can be up to $1,000. Check you state laws. Not sure about NJ, but your neighbor PA will give you a $1,000 ticket.

LouNY

Reaction score
Stick to removing snow from windows only if possible. If there was a large snowfall try to move the snow without touch any painted surfaces or try a leaf blower. Any snow removal tool will scratch the paint, sometimes pretty badly.
Are you suggesting driving your vehicle with snow on it and letting it blow off??
That is a poor idea which can create difficulties for other drivers,
besides which it is also illegal.

On January 9, 2013, the NYS Senate amended a 2008 vehicle and traffic law requiring certain motor vehicles to be cleared of accumulated snow, sleet, or hail or get a ticket with a hefty fine.
The people of NYS allowed a Senate amendment for a law to promote safe driving in the winter months. Have you ever been behind a car covered in snow and ice and it's all flying onto your windshield? Pretty scary.
The law says you must clear all the snow and ice off your entire vehicle before driving it. Yes, even that hard to reach spot on the roof and inside the bed of your pickup. Here's the legal mumbo-jumbo.

The vehicle and traffic law is amended by adding a new section 1229-e to read as follows:
S 1229-E. CLEARANCE OF SNOW, SLEET, AND HAIL.
1. NO PERSON SHALL OPERATE A MOTOR VEHICLE ON A PUBLIC STREET OR HIGHWAY WHILE THERE IS AN ACCUMULATION OF SNOW, SLEET, OR HAIL ON THE ROOF OR CARGO BED SURFACES THEREOF, WHETHER OF ANY OCCUPANT COMPARTMENT, TRAILER, OR OTHER CARGO COMPARTMENT IN EXCESS OF THREE INCHES.
2. THE REMOVAL OF ACCUMULATED SNOW, SLEET, OR HAIL REQUIRED BY SUBDIVISION ONE OF THIS SECTION SHALL NOT APPLY DURING THE FALLING OF SNOW, SLEET, OR HAIL OR WITHIN THREE HOURS AFTER THE CESSATION OF THE FALLINGTHEREOF.
3. (A) THE OPERATOR OF A NON-COMMERCIAL VEHICLE IN VIOLATION OF THE
PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION, EXCLUDING A DISABLED OPERATOR, SHALL BE
SUBJECT TO A FINE OF NOT LESS THAN ONE HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS NOR MORE THAN EIGHT HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS.

The vehicle and traffic law could expire September 1, 2024. Those ticketed with snow and ice on their car could receive a fine ranging from $150.00 - $850.00. The money will then go to the "snow and ice removal fund" the DOT and the New York State Thruway Authority

Read More: It's Illegal To Drive Your Car Covered In Snow And Ice In NYS | https://961theeagle.com/its-illegal...n-nys/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

jth877

Reaction score
Are you suggesting driving your vehicle with snow on it and letting it blow off??
That is a poor idea which can create difficulties for other drivers,
besides which it is also illegal.

On January 9, 2013, the NYS Senate amended a 2008 vehicle and traffic law requiring certain motor vehicles to be cleared of accumulated snow, sleet, or hail or get a ticket with a hefty fine.
The people of NYS allowed a Senate amendment for a law to promote safe driving in the winter months. Have you ever been behind a car covered in snow and ice and it's all flying onto your windshield? Pretty scary.
The law says you must clear all the snow and ice off your entire vehicle before driving it. Yes, even that hard to reach spot on the roof and inside the bed of your pickup. Here's the legal mumbo-jumbo.

The vehicle and traffic law is amended by adding a new section 1229-e to read as follows:
S 1229-E. CLEARANCE OF SNOW, SLEET, AND HAIL.
1. NO PERSON SHALL OPERATE A MOTOR VEHICLE ON A PUBLIC STREET OR HIGHWAY WHILE THERE IS AN ACCUMULATION OF SNOW, SLEET, OR HAIL ON THE ROOF OR CARGO BED SURFACES THEREOF, WHETHER OF ANY OCCUPANT COMPARTMENT, TRAILER, OR OTHER CARGO COMPARTMENT IN EXCESS OF THREE INCHES.
2. THE REMOVAL OF ACCUMULATED SNOW, SLEET, OR HAIL REQUIRED BY SUBDIVISION ONE OF THIS SECTION SHALL NOT APPLY DURING THE FALLING OF SNOW, SLEET, OR HAIL OR WITHIN THREE HOURS AFTER THE CESSATION OF THE FALLINGTHEREOF.
3. (A) THE OPERATOR OF A NON-COMMERCIAL VEHICLE IN VIOLATION OF THE
PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION, EXCLUDING A DISABLED OPERATOR, SHALL BE
SUBJECT TO A FINE OF NOT LESS THAN ONE HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS NOR MORE THAN EIGHT HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS.

The vehicle and traffic law could expire September 1, 2024. Those ticketed with snow and ice on their car could receive a fine ranging from $150.00 - $850.00. The money will then go to the "snow and ice removal fund" the DOT and the New York State Thruway Authority

Read More: It's Illegal To Drive Your Car Covered In Snow And Ice In NYS | https://961theeagle.com/its-illegal...n-nys/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

I live in NY. NO ONE complies with that ill conceived Karen law. No one I have ever met has been fined for such a thing. I will not clean snow off if it's 3 inches or under. The hazard is ice coming in sheets from tractor trailers and smashing windshields. Powder snow is a non issue.

And yes, I've been hit with it more than once. If people are afraid of driving in the winter please move or stay off the roads. IMHO, private snow plows leaving mounds of snow on an otherwise clear road or excessive salt usage is more of a hazard.

jth877

Reaction score
Remove all snow. People that only do the windows and leave 6" of snow on the roof to blow off, and ruin other peoples visibility, creates road hazards. It is illegal in some states even for private vehicles, not just commercial. Ticket can be up to $1,000. Check you state laws. Not sure about NJ, but your neighbor PA will give you a $1,000 ticket.

So you are out there after a snow fall, on a ladder (#1 form of injury), removing snow from the entire roof down to the millimeter? No way. You will not get a ticket for leaving an inch or 3 of snow on your roof. That is ridiculous.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry JTH. You're obviously very passionate on your beliefs here but there are laws against it for a reason. If your state isn't enforcing it, more power to you. In New Hampshire, it is enforced. It's a big fine and negligent driving to have ice on your car.

That was not a 3" thick sheet but it was a sheet of ice at 70 miles per hour hitting a car behind them.

jth877

Reaction score
Sorry JTH. You're obviously very passionate on your beliefs here but there are laws against it for a reason. If your state isn't enforcing it, more power to you. In New Hampshire, it is enforced. It's a big fine and negligent driving to have ice on your car.

That was not a 3" thick sheet but it was a sheet of ice at 70 miles per hour hitting a car behind them.

Half my family lives in NH. Nope. Never a ticket since 1942. I'm not saying don't remove snow. But the last 6" of powder in the center of your roof will not ticket you. Ice is a hazard which I clearly stated previously and have been hit.

I was just in a white out 2 weeks ago near Mt Washington. To say that if a small amount of powder snow coming off your roof is causing a hazard they better start ticketing the weather. Use.common sense.

Last edited:

jth877

Reaction score
I don't need a ladder, long broom and its done. I do it because I care about others behind me, clearly we differ here

I use a broom as well without touching the surface. I'm not leaving 10" on there for Christ sake. I get the bulk off. 1"-3" of powder on there will not hurt or blind anybody. Using a long broom will not clean off everything. So I guess I care about people about the same as you.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
See it constantly, and can't stand it. Just like I see people using the passing lane as their personal slow cruise lane the entire time on the highway. See it constantly, doesn't make it right.

Been using a extendable snow brush for the past 8 winters on my rams, and many vehicles/winters before that. It never ruined my paint or scratched it up and I don't have to worry about blasting everyone behind me. Usually takes me 5-10 minutes to completely clear depending on the snow/ice situation.

jth877

Reaction score
If you are only taking 5-10 minutes to remove snow from your vehicle you are not removing every flake. This is illegal. Please turn yourself in to the nearest form of law enforcement. Make sure you are wearing a mask while driving by yourself as well.

Users who are viewing this thread