5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

should i cut MaxTrac rear lowering springs?

eatglue

Reaction score
Hey, all, first post here. i bought my first truck (2020 RAM 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 4X4, 80,xxx miles) a few months ago & have since been installing moderate modifications here & there when i have the time / money.

so far i have done: spray in premium bed liner, Fluid Film on all frame welds, 5% tint all the way around, cheap amazon tonneau cover (BAK MX4 soon-come), harbor freight cargo bar, charcoal filter delete, 2” hub-centric wheel spacers, Rough Country rear wheel liners, custom cat-back exhaust (Carven R muffler, dual resonator delete, dual 6” tips”), & recently, rear lowering springs.

I installed MaxTrac part no “272920-19” on the truck & decided NOT to cut a coil off of the springs to see how i liked it after a while to let them settle. the attached photos were taken 2 weeks after install.

when i put a 4 foot level on the bed rails, it reads perfectly level. however, the measurements prove that there is still a slight rake (front approx. 36”, rear approx. 37”). i would prefer it to be perfectly level, however i’ve done some research & i don’t want to risk blowing a shock from riding so close to the factory bump stops (my endgame for the truck is MaxTrac 2/4 lowering kit).

my question is this: do i cut a coil off & risk negative rake while towing / hauling, resulting in possible bottoming out, or leave it how it is? any input is appreciated.

Mopar or No Car 🛻

Attachments

• IMG_2527.jpeg
    IMG_2527.jpeg
    435 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2528.jpeg
    IMG_2528.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 14
Cut if you want, springs are cheap. Cut or not, you will most likely still have negative rake while towing once you lower the rear. If you plan on a 2/4 drop, this kit from Ridetech is now available and is probably the best on the market. The coil-overs give you the ability to customize your ride height, to an extent. They also have a rebound tuning adjustment. This kit won’t just lower your truck, it will provide better handling. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for. But once, cry once.

Cut if you want, springs are cheap. Cut or not, you will most likely still have negative rake while towing once you lower the rear. If you plan on a 2/4 drop, this kit from Ridetech is now available and is probably the best on the market. The coil-overs give you the ability to customize your ride height, to an extent. They also have a rebound tuning adjustment. This kit won’t just lower your truck, it will provide better handling. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for. But once, cry once.

HOW DO U LIKE THE SOUND WITH CARVEN R AND RES. DELETE? DID U RUN RES. THEN CUT THEM OUT OR DID IT ALL IN ONE GO?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back