5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shopping for a new camper

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Shopping for a new camper and I want to make sure I don’t overdo it, I’ve always been the guy that hooks anything up to everything and goes with it. I’ve seen the threads on stickers and weights but I’m having a hard time following along.

So, my trucks stats are in my sit and here are my door stickers...

53A0621A-ADF3-4B58-9201-A3A352D7E43A.jpeg

61315C84-E747-46D3-9586-2125FCC78D1E.jpeg

My current camper is an ultra light hybrid, a Jayco X23B that weighs In at 4950 gross weight. It’s so short and light I don’t know it’s back there, but as stated, I’m shopping for an upgrade. I’m hoping to be able to go with a 30’ or so bunkhouse model for the kids, but what numbers should I be aware of while shopping?

Any and all help is much appreciated!

slimchance

Reaction score
i looked at the spec sheet on the camper you linked to ... at almost 8000#s the tongue weight will be nearly 1000#s (what they show for hitch weight is EMPTY, and your trailer ready to go will NOT be empty, figure on GVWR times 12% )... with your payload sticker weight that leaves about 600 #s for wife, kids, dog and stuff in the trk ... that is better than most have left for payload ... the real length is 32' and that is a little long for a half ton trk, most consider 30' the safe limit ... i know others will post they pull 45' TT with their half ton but .... i pull a 2520RL Passport .. here is a link to mine to compare
https://www.lerchrv.com/rvs-for-sale/2019-Keystone-Passport-Grand-Touring-2520RL-12081/

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, those are awesome. I should’ve bought a truck and a camper when I was a broke college grad since those are probably bigger and def nicer than my first apartment. Hindsight really is 20/20. New Goal: buy a camper. Lol

CallMeChris

Reaction score
The length does have me concerned. Here is the X23B I pull now, it’s 23’ before the bunks are folded out. This pic was taken with my 2016 Ram before I traded it off for the ‘19. This trailer pulls like a dream, bately even knowing it’s back there other than loss of fuel mileage.

AF94ABBB-2E59-4628-AC55-7A7663A74650.jpeg

CallMeChris

Reaction score
And here is what I found for the specs on hitch weight....

FCFD7187-07F9-41B7-9A25-21CED7F85280.png

slimchance

Reaction score
they are basing the hitch weight on the DRY weight, that means no battery, no propane, no clothing, no food, no pots and pans, no nothing except the structure ... that is UNrealistic .... you need to base the hitch weight on the GVWR of 7495 #s times at least 10% is 749.5 #s ... trailer mfgs play the same weight you can haul as trk mfg

Johnvan

Reaction score
The yellow sticker on my trailer specifically states that the weight includes the two 30lb propane tanks, full.
Doesn't mention the battery. Not sure if that's industry standard. It's a Jayco.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
I’m more concerned with the length than the weight at this point, specs state the trailer is 32’ but in actuality, the box is 28’ and it’s 32’ bumper to hitch. Is that a new way to class them (bumper to hitch) or has it always been done that way? I originally wanted to stay 28’ or below....technically I am if you don’t count the hitch. Is it the overall that makes a difference or just the length of box on the top? 28’ bumper to hitch is a tiny living quarters, about what I have now.

slimchance

Reaction score
every trl mfg does it any way they want ... depends on what the market is looking for ... just like the trk mfg ... there is no STANDARD way of doing this ... IF you have a parking spot that is 28' long will the tt fit WITHIN the spot ... i do not think it will, therefore its' overall length is 32'

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those are good questions. The weight should be fine as it will tow up to approx. 11,400. It's the sway where the tail wags to dog. I have a 31'TT box (6800 dry) that measures 35' hitch to bumper. I pulled it with a 13 Avalanche and at 56 mph I could feel the TT sway the truck. Looking to order a 1500 limited 5.7 3.92 but just wish it wasn't winter with the trailer wrapped up so I could test drive it pulling my trailer. Haven't spoken to anyone yet on here who pulls over 29' with the 1500. Of course I know it would be better with a 2500 but that means your always driving a rougher work truck to the office.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
That’s what has me curious. Seems the general consensus is don’t go over 30’ with a half ton and try to stay under 28’ for best performance. Are those numbers the box length or the bumper to hitch length? Lol

PhotogDSlavey

Reaction score
I'll be running similar numbers when we finally get into camping season next month. I've had a few opportunities to tow with the new combo...nothing has felt quite right, yet. I leased the RAM, so I didn't want to do any "permanent" suspension upgrades. First thing I found was that the rear springs are so soft that I added the Air Lift 1000HD bags...squatting solved. I'm coming from a 1-ton Chevy Express 3500 9-passenger conversion van. It towed our Vibe well, just a bit sluggish. Had the 6.0, but that van was darn heavy. I now have PLENTY of torque and power with the new RAM but I still have a bit of sway I'd like to get rid of. Two issues I think I have to tackle better: Getting the Andersen hitch adjusted better (which may not happen), and higher PSI in the tires. I wish I had heftier tires, but I'll be boosting the psi to see if I can get a less "squishy" feel. I've included pics of everything below and will be watching this thread to see how things go with you. I think all the numbers are good, just need to get things dialed in as best I can. Hopefully you'll get that new TT...we went from a triple bunk hybrid with slide...you'll love the change :) If you can test tow, I'd do it...I wish I had. Good luck!

IMG_0953.JPG IMG_0954.JPG IMG_0941.JPG Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 5.48.01 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 5.47.43 AM.png

PhotogDSlavey

Reaction score
I should prob also add that my “real” numbers from the RV lot were closer to 6,000lbs. We also stock it pretty well :) Probably another 500-700 lbs. (or more). I do plan to hit the local CAT scales when the weather gets better to see how everything looks and is distributed.

slimchance

Reaction score
i see lots of people posting to take at new trk for a test drive pulling their TT before they buy it and also taking a TT for a test tow before they buy it ???? REALLY ... do dealers actually allow that kink of stuff .. never heard of these pre-purchase tests before ... couple yrs ago i tried to take a utility trailer, small single axel 5X10 for a test drive and the dealer said no way was that allowed ... bought from a different dealer

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shopping for a new camper and I want to make sure I don’t overdo it, I’ve always been the guy that hooks anything up to everything and goes with it. I’ve seen the threads on stickers and weights but I’m having a hard time following along.

So, my trucks stats are in my sit and here are my door stickers...

View attachment 16361

View attachment 16360

My current camper is an ultra light hybrid, a Jayco X23B that weighs In at 4950 gross weight. It’s so short and light I don’t know it’s back there, but as stated, I’m shopping for an upgrade. I’m hoping to be able to go with a 30’ or so bunkhouse model for the kids, but what numbers should I be aware of while shopping?

Any and all help is much appreciated!
I really don't have an answer to your question. I am just curious as to how you liked the Jayco. I have been considering a 20' to 24' Jayco; so maybe you could provide some insight.

Dlow240

Reaction score
i see lots of people posting to take at new trk for a test drive pulling their TT before they buy it and also taking a TT for a test tow before they buy it ???? REALLY ... do dealers actually allow that kink of stuff .. never heard of these pre-purchase tests before ... couple yrs ago i tried to take a utility trailer, small single axel 5X10 for a test drive and the dealer said no way was that allowed ... bought from a different dealer
Slimchance, last week I was shopping for a new truck and a dealership told me they would write a new truck as a loaner and I could take it home and hook to my tt and try it out.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
I really don't have an answer to your question. I am just curious as to how you liked the Jayco. I have been considering a 20' to 24' Jayco; so maybe you could provide some insight.

We love it, only looking to upgrade in size is why we are getting rid of it. The trailer is very well made but the setup and take down is getting tiresome, and I’d like to get in and out of bed without crawling over my wife. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread