5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shock upgrade to help with load/squat...?

Cross88

Reaction score
Well just as the title states, I’m curious about a possible shock upgrade to help with load/squat or are our oem shocks plenty good?

R

Rob5589

A shocks primary duty is to control suspension oscillations, not hold up a load. If you need to increase your load carrying ability, look into some air bags. Air Lift will have what you need.
I used them on a leaf sprung Silverado and they worked great. Super easy install as well.

Cross88

Reaction score
A shocks primary duty is to control suspension oscillations, not hold up a load. If you need to increase your load carrying ability, look into some air bags. Air Lift will have what you need.
I used them on a leaf sprung Silverado and they worked great. Super easy install as well.

Yea that was my main plan, and I know it’s not the shocks primary role but wasn’t sure if there was a shock upgrade that could assist in any of that.

R

Rob5589

The shocks will be fine. Bag it, maybe a thicker sway bar if needed.

ETA: Just noticed you are lowered in the rear. Bags for sure in your case. You have already reduced your load capacity quite a bit. You don't want to be riding the bump stops.

Cross88

Reaction score
The shocks will be fine. Bag it, maybe a thicker sway bar if needed.

ETA: Just noticed you are lowered in the rear. Bags for sure in your case. You have already reduced your load capacity quite a bit. You don't want to be riding the bump stops.

Yea I’m planning on the airlift 5k bag kit, and a good wdh. Just wasn’t sure if there was a shock that could also assist. I was also contemplating the hellwig sway bar.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Put your OEM rear springs back in. Problem solved.

Cross88

Reaction score
Put your OEM rear springs back in. Problem solved.

Not going that route, I’m gonna get the look I want and functionality because it is possible. That would solve some of the problem not all of it. Thank you tho

Users who are viewing this thread