5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shifts And Grins Fabrication TRX Build

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I'll get this started so it's documented. Full disclosure, this build will be slower going than I'd like but you guys will see prototype parts here before they are released. Some may never be released. I'll try to do my best to document where all of the parts came from as well, hint, most will be from Shifts And Grins Fabrication. To start with, I installed our Ditch Light Brackets and Diode Dynamics SS3 lights. I built my own harness for the lights because I didn't have one on hand from Diode Dynamics and I had all of the parts to build my own harness. I will be swapping these lights out with either SS5 pods or SS3 Max pods. I'll probably install some SSC1 Pods to the sides as well. I also had the entire truck done with PPF. The roof was done matte black, the lower black portion of the truck was done in matte (Stealth) PPF and the silver was done in gloss. The next two things I will do is install our reverse light kit and then figure out and make instructions to mount a Diode Dynamics 30" light bar behind the lower grill of the front bumper. After that, it will be prototype and Test and Evaluation parts. There is a lot on the list. You all will have to follow to see where this goes. I will be doing a prerunner theme on this build.
IMG_5837.jpg IMG_5838.jpg IMG_5840.jpg IMG_5846.jpg

Burnzie

Reaction score
I'll keep watching this thread only if you promise not to clown it up with tires that stick out WAY TO FAR, or put 26" rims with SPINNERS ON IT. 🤮

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read about this swap in a 19 Rebel that “snapped both axles” without giving details on what actually broke. Is it just the axle shafts that also have to get beefed up or more than that?

I am considering doing a TRX swap into my 22 Limited to do something a little different. I have a 2000 Cherokee XJ that’s built for my off road activities but would like to make the Ram more of a street truck - without being gaudy. 😁

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I read about this swap in a 19 Rebel that “snapped both axles” without giving details on what actually broke. Is it just the axle shafts that also have to get beefed up or more than that?

I am considering doing a TRX swap into my 22 Limited to do something a little different. I have a 2000 Cherokee XJ that’s built for my off road activities but would like to make the Ram more of a street truck - without being gaudy. 😁
I think the guy you were talking about did end up snapping front CV Axles and a rear axle. Hellcat makes a lot of power for standard 1500 parts. This truck is an actual TRX though. We had a 2019 Rebel and we traded it in for this truck so we could build it out for shows and fun in the desert. If you do hellcat swap your truck you may want to consider a Dana 60 rear end. I'd be interested to know if any of the Ram Dana 60 offerings would be a plug and play as far as electronics go or if the swap would be fairly easy in terms of playing nice with the computer.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the guy you were talking about did end up snapping front CV Axles and a rear axle. Hellcat makes a lot of power for standard 1500 parts. This truck is an actual TRX though. We had a 2019 Rebel and we traded it in for this truck so we could build it out for shows and fun in the desert. If you do hellcat swap your truck you may want to consider a Dana 60 rear end. I'd be interested to know if any of the Ram Dana 60 offerings would be a plug and play as far as electronics go or if the swap would be fairly easy in terms of playing nice with the computer.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I did read that the electronics was quite the process. I think maybe I should rather consider starting with a TRX as is & then think about how to lower the suspension to stock-ish ride height on the lower trims. Would probably come out to close enough as the same price as what I had spoken about before, but with less headaches. Will be following this build thread for sure. Good luck & have fun! 😎

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not doing a desert runner, but am very interested in what you come up with for a discreet front light bar and backup/rear work lights.

Watching...

Thanks!

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I did read that the electronics was quite the process. I think maybe I should rather consider starting with a TRX as is & then think about how to lower the suspension to stock-ish ride height on the lower trims. Would probably come out to close enough as the same price as what I had spoken about before, but with less headaches. Will be following this build thread for sure. Good luck & have fun! 😎
Unless you love tinkering and the process, I think it makes much more sense to start with a TRX. They are a ton of fun. I took a customer for a ride today. He said he wishes he would have never got in because he wants to trade his Rebel for a TRX now.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I'm not doing a desert runner, but am very interested in what you come up with for a discreet front light bar and backup/rear work lights.

Watching...

Thanks!
Well as far as the lightbar goes, we already have an offering for the 5th Gen Ram 1500 we just need to see how involved the install will be for the TRX. We also have a reverse light light kit that is for the TRX or any 5th Gen Ram 1500 running our tow hook brackets and Rear Mopar TRX Tow Hooks. I'm hoping to install the reverse light kit this week and hopefully the front light bar in the next few weeks.
41397C73-B4CC-41DF-9297-E3E72A60959F.JPG 6BAE5674-D915-436B-8291-288904A27046.JPG Light Bar On.jpeg 8B17AB9C-F8D9-45FC-8A34-235CBC99CDE9.JPG

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless you love tinkering and the process, I think it makes much more sense to start with a TRX. They are a ton of fun. I took a customer for a ride today. He said he wishes he would have never got in because he wants to trade his Rebel for a TRX now.
That front light bar that would work with the sensors still will look awesome!! I would definitely pick one of those up.

I used to enjoy the build process a lot more but I get tired of it sometimes. My Jeep build & different swaps on it kinda wore me down & burnt me out a bit over the years (a TON of disassembly/cutting/welding) & the truck is my daily while the Jeep is my rec vehicle so I’ll have to plan accordingly. Actually thinking of auctioning the Jeep later this year after a couple more things & then replacing with another sports car so that I can still keep up with my travel for work while modding the truck more seriously.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
That front light bar that would work with the sensors still will look awesome!! I would definitely pick one of those up.

I used to enjoy the build process a lot more but I get tired of it sometimes. My Jeep build & different swaps on it kinda wore me down & burnt me out a bit over the years (a TON of disassembly/cutting/welding) & the truck is my daily while the Jeep is my rec vehicle so I’ll have to plan accordingly. Actually thinking of auctioning the Jeep later this year after a couple more things & then replacing with another sports car so that I can still keep up with my travel for work while modding the truck more seriously.
They do work with the sensors. The light bar sits right behind the sensors and causes no issues with the sensors.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I wish I would’ve known about your website sooner - very informative & well put together! 👍🏽 Looking forward to ordering!
Thank you. I do my best to bring value to the community and try to help anywhere I can. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer the question or help you find the answer.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Got my A pillar lights installed and wired up and got my reverse light brackets, lights and wiring done. I just did the standalone harness for now because I had limited time and it only takes about 20 minutes to install the standalone kit.

- A pillar Lights are Diode Dynamics SS3 Sports with a Combo Lens mounted to Shifts And Grins Fabrication A Pillar Brackets. Wiring harness is a custom Shifts And Grins Fabrication Harness.
- Reverse Lights are Diode Dynamics SSC1 Pro Lights in a Wide pattern with a clear lens and red back light. Those lights are mounted to Shifts And Grins Fabrication reverse light brackets. Wiring harness is a Shifts And Grins Fabrication Auto Operation Only Plug And Play Harness.

Tomorrow is the first PPF checkup and they will install the bedside stickers. I am hoping my hood decal is in so I can have it installed tomorrow as well. IMG_1550.jpg IMG_1552.PNG IMG_1557.PNG IMG_1558.PNG IMG_1560.PNG

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The reverse brackets: where do they mount the light in relation to the tow bracket? Does the light take up the space inside the tow bracket (rendering the tow bracket unusable?)?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The reverse brackets: where do they mount the light in relation to the tow bracket? Does the light take up the space inside the tow bracket (rendering the tow bracket unusable?)?
website to give you a better idea

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Tow hook is still usable. Plenty of room to get a tow strap or soft shackle in there. I can get you pictures if you'd like.

Users who are viewing this thread