5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service department games

RAM EAGLE

Reaction score
I made the mistake of not ordering my '20 1500 Bighorn with a trailer brake controller. The Mrs. assured me we were done towing and I fell for it. So here I am checking with my selling dealer in Southern California for prices to install a factory TBC. ( I had it on my previous Ram truck and wouldn't be happy with an aftermarket unit. ) The Parts Department guy tells me the parts package is $340, but they don't have one and can't order one due to some vendor issue. Next I walked over to the Service Advisor and asked for the labor to install and update the computer. I thought I detected a slight smirk as she appeared to press a couple of buttons on the computer key board. I swear only one second passed when she replied "that's $462.24". She wrote the price on the back of her card and gave it to me, I think she saw the shock on my face and figured I wouldn't remember.

Later that day I called around and found a dealer in Kansas who had it and would ship it. But the Parts Department lady to me the parts originated from Ebay. They are legitimate Mopar Parts she said, and that I might want to check it out because she was gonna charge me $340.00. I asked if she thought I could get it cheaper and she thought I could. Three days later I've got all the parts in hand from an Ebay seller in Florida, for $174.00. So far so good.

I phoned around to double check that crazy labor quote. Nothing less than $450.00. So I asked this one service advisor to break down the install labor and the computer update. He said nope, it's one price, not by the hour, it's the service. I told him I found a post on a forum (this forum but I didn't say the name) that teaches how to do the whole thing, that it shouldn't take a technician who's done it once more that an 1 1/2 hrs . He didn't deny it, just said that's the way it is.

The post to install the factory TBC on this forum is fantastic, best I've seen. If I didn't have neck issues I would absolutely install it my self. It's been a few years (40) since I worked a dealership, when did a process or procedure stop being flagged for an hourly rate ? Mechanics have always been able to do a job faster than the book allowed them to charge but it was with in reason, kinda.

What these dealers are doing in this instance is insane in my humble opinion. Sorry this was kinda long but felt good to vent.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Find an independent mechanic that eill do it by the hour. Then you can get the device to program it yourself (just stick it in the obd2 port) or have dealer just do the programming.

spiG

Reaction score
When I purchased my truck it had everything I wanted but a trailer brake. Dealer charged $500 with parts to install one prior to delivery. Unsure if it was high at the time but made my life easier so it was worth it at the time.

moparleo51

Reaction score
maybe a fellow ram member can help, where are you located? i`m thinking about adding it to my truck soon, all i need is the part. have the obd2 and gateway bypass.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ran into that issue also when I bought my limited..no TBC. So I called one dealer, (this is last Feb), he says vendor-issue, won't see it til November...try a second dealer, they say, "don't have any, but let me check if any other dealers have one"...what do you know, one dealer showed one, about 25 miles away. Call dealer, "yup we have one, I'll hold it for you"...grab it next day. Call 1st dealer to install, they wanted $400 labor...WHAT??? F-U...call next dealer, $220 labor...went with them. Oh, the TBC was around $220 list price I believe. Keep looking around, you will eventually find a decent dealer who will give you a better price.

RAM EAGLE

Reaction score
I ran into that issue also when I bought my limited..no TBC. So I called one dealer, (this is last Feb), he says vendor-issue, won't see it til November...try a second dealer, they say, "don't have any, but let me check if any other dealers have one"...what do you know, one dealer showed one, about 25 miles away. Call dealer, "yup we have one, I'll hold it for you"...grab it next day. Call 1st dealer to install, they wanted $400 labor...WHAT??? F-U...call next dealer, $220 labor...went with them. Oh, the TBC was around $220 list price I believe. Keep looking around, you will eventually find a decent dealer who will give you a better price.
thanks, by the way, how do you like the pedal commander?

TheMopars

Reaction score
Went through something similar so I just ordered all the parts ($130) and did the install install myself. It was very simple and the
post on the forum helped a bunch. It took less than an hour. I shopped around a bunch dealers for the flash and got the lowest price
from the Ram dealership in Monrovia, $140. All the others I called wanted $199 or $175.

Mr.G

Reaction score
Bought a pre owned X3 BMW which comes with sattlite radio. It just has to be turned on. Dealer wants $600. just to hook it up to a computer and hit a few buttons. Found a company that would do it for $130. They sent me the cable I needed to hook the car to my laptop then I went on their website and they remotely turned it on, plus I got the free one year subscription. The Dealer would not even consider any discount to turn it on. They are all the same, looking to suck as much $ as they can from you. Plus they all think we are morons.

RAM EAGLE

Reaction score
So I started calling every Ram dealer in my area (50+ miles). Labor quotes were 450 to 560 $$ ... Finally found one for $300. Not my idea of a fair price but it was much better indeed. Install and computer went just fine. Had three recalls taken care of as well. Drivers all weather floor mat modification, windshield wiper arm bolt and radio update. Air bags next. Then I'm done.

Every20years

Reaction score
Service Department games for sure. So I’m posting to vent. We have a 2012 Chevy Equinox that was my MILs until she passed. It has 48k miles on it and we are going to sell it but it needed a couple recalls done to make sure it was clean.

So the dealer gets it and I get a list of 7 items they say “need immediate attention”. Axle seal, brake fluid exchange, transmission fluid exchange, replace two tires, alignment, Fuel induction service and the check engine light came on so they need $160 to diagnose! I asked they guy “isn’t the check engine light just a code you look up?” $160 for that? I get the “well they have to follow the trace to see what the real condition might be.
I’m like so you mean since it just rolled over 48k miles and it’s telling you “time for the recommended maintenance
I truly hate dealer service departments.

yes, there could be a real issue but it’s a constant battle. Especially at dealers where you didn’t buy the car.
In 30 years I have only taken cars in for warranty or recall work and every time it’s the same sales job. Worse than jiffy lube and those places.
I was going to take my new Ram back to the dealer I got it from for its first oil change but this just reinforced why I will either do it myself if stay with our local mechanic who we trust.

Users who are viewing this thread