5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sentry CT w/ MFT mini install review

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
I just got a new 1500 w/ MFT w/o Ramboxes. Like others, I quickly learned that my choices were a Sentry CT or an Extang Solid Fold if I didn't want to make any modifications to the truck or cover.

I went with the Sentry because of the limitations of the Solid Fold - you basically could not get to a third of your bed. Knowing what I know now, I'll probably always go with a hard roll up.

I give it a solid B. No more no less. A few thoughts:

You don't have a quick release to easily remove the cover as shown in the videos. It connects via some 9/16ish nuts that are a tight fit in the middle of the corner brackets. Once it is on there, you have to loosen the side rails or use a wrench to tighten/loosen it as it is tough to gain access to the bolts.

The side rails are a little cheap. One of mine was bent, but I called Truxedo and they said they'll send me a replacement. The rubber is already coming off as well.

Takes a little bit to adjust everything for proper operation.

In the video, you push the rail all the way forward to fit flush with the front of the bed. Can't really do that due to the brackets, so it isn't perfectly flush by the bulkhead.

The rails are simply the "regular" rails that have been cut to accommodate the corner brackets. Cheap cut too, looks like I did it in the garage.

I did loosen the brackets and hit them with a mallet to drop them down as per the recommendation of another member here.

Will do the job, but I'm not blown away by the fit and finish. Certainly not for $979 MSRP.

Installed with my FIL, took us about 90 minutes. Could do it with one person, always nice to have a second set of hands.

As I look at how everything connects, I'm shocked that no other vendor has come up with a better solution for the corner brackets.

Keep in mind that I've never owned another cover, so I don't have much to compare it to. I would say that the factory Mopar tri fold that came with the truck (which is for sale!) seemed to be a slightly higher quality although not even remotely apples to oranges.

I'll update after owning this thing for a while, especially after a rain storm.

Attachments

• IMG_1211.JPG
    IMG_1211.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1214.JPG
    IMG_1214.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1215.JPG
    IMG_1215.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1266.JPG
    IMG_1266.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1287.JPG
    IMG_1287.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1289.JPG
    IMG_1289.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 76

M02v8r

Reaction score
Any updates on the cover? Thinking about getting the Sentry.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Any updates on the cover? Thinking about getting the Sentry.
Been pretty good. Hasn’t seen much rain, so I can’t comment on water ingress. Only complaint is the lack of quick release- I use my full bed a lot and you lose about 18 inches when it is fully rolled up. If you don’t have MFT the quick release will solve for that.

M02v8r

Reaction score
Had the Sentry for about 5 months now and absolutely love it. Have no water intrusion and it seals tight. It looks really good on the truck as well. You do need to remember to open it slightly before shutting the tailgate but overall a great cover. Just wanted to leave some comments in case someone else was researching it like I was.

auburnvfr

Reaction score
Any further issues or likes/dislikes with the Sentry CT? Is velcro still holding?

I keep going back and forth between the Sentry CT and the Undercover Armor Flex. I ran an open bed/tool box on my last truck, but want to use this one for family trips and want a relatively secure and dry place to put luggage and stuff. I rarely have really large items in the back. I can't decide if the utility and rear window visibility of the hard roll up is worth sacrificing what I perceive to be the added security and durability of the hard fold cover and the ability to close the tailgate without popping open the cover every time.

I looked hard at the Revolver X4s, but spending $1000+ on a cover and then aftermarket brackets and then having to cut the rails up to make it work is a hard no-go. I want something made to work with the MFT set up as is.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread