5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Security/gun safe for 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie with full console

Normond

Reaction score
After getting my new truck in May 2019 I wanted something I didn't have in my 2005 Ram 2500 that I owned for 14 years. I found a gun safe by Lockr'down that has one just for my new truck. I watched the video link below four or five times and called them to make sure I ordered the right one. The installation took less than an hour. The only problem I had was the four lock combination wheel was hard to turn. I called and was put on with a tech person who told me to loosen the gold nut slightly on the back and it works fine now. Also, before they ship they called me to make sure what truck I had. Good customer service.
I'm happy with the safe and now I can leave my wallet in the truck and it is secure if I need to.
I looked at options, like adding a lock to the rear seat built in floor storage areas but I don't think it would take much to pop the top off.
Just a FYI for anyone thinking about one. I have nothing to do with the company but when I see a good product I want to share it with others.

Lockr'down web site:

Gtbrown

Reaction score
I have the Lock R' Down and really like it. I use it for my carry weapon and wallet.

Briencrotty

Reaction score
After getting my new truck in May 2019 I wanted something I didn't have in my 2005 Ram 2500 that I owned for 14 years. I found a gun safe by Lockr'down that has one just for my new truck. I watched the video link below four or five times and called them to make sure I ordered the right one. The installation took less than an hour. The only problem I had was the four lock combination wheel was hard to turn. I called and was put on with a tech person who told me to loosen the gold nut slightly on the back and it works fine now. Also, before they ship they called me to make sure what truck I had. Good customer service.
I'm happy with the safe and now I can leave my wallet in the truck and it is secure if I need to.
I looked at options, like adding a lock to the rear seat built in floor storage areas but I don't think it would take much to pop the top off.
Just a FYI for anyone thinking about one. I have nothing to do with the company but when I see a good product I want to share it with others.

Lockr'down web site:
I just installed the same console safe in my Rebel. Installed in less than ten minutes, and is rock solid and fits perfectly. Took longer to set the combination to one I liked and would remember than it did to install it in the truck. The video is quite helpful.

Thanks,

B

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It looks like the Lock'er Down safes are pretty expensive as compared to the MOPAR safes? Do you really think the Lock'er Down is so much better that you can justify the price difference? I have been on the fence between the Lock'er Down and MOPAR for a while.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
My thoughts are this: if I need to get to the gun, I want a lock that has dials or code entry. If I remember correctly, the Mopar safe is key only, while the Lock'er Down has a dial lock or code lock optional.

In a SHTF moment where I may have to access my gun:
1) With a key lock, if the key is on my keychain in my pocket, I have to pull the key out, insert it, and then open the safe.
2) With a dial lock or PIN lock, I just have to enter the numbers, and then open the safe. No key needed.

I'm leaning towards the dial or PIN lock.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Anyone know of a gun safe for the storage compartment below the middle seat for those of us with bench seats? Do you think a gun would even fit in that compartment?

Briencrotty

Reaction score
It looks like the Lock'er Down safes are pretty expensive as compared to the MOPAR safes? Do you really think the Lock'er Down is so much better that you can justify the price difference? I have been on the fence between the Lock'er Down and MOPAR for a while.
They are more expensive (the Exxtreme version with the electronic lock is damn near $500), but WELL worth it. The MOPAR one is not as thick, not as well made, nor as secure (a friend of mine has the Mopar one, and I bought the Exxtreme Lock'er Down with the electronic lock. He now wants to get rid of the Mopar one and order the one I bought.

B

Gtbrown

Reaction score
Thumbs up on the Lock'er Down from me, too! Have it my Limited and its easy to use and seems to be a high quality unit. (y)

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I need to get one of these. Would anyone have a pic of the inside of the safe? Is there room, for example, to make a foam liner to hold a pistol so it doesn’t slide around?

Briencrotty

Reaction score
I need to get one of these. Would anyone have a pic of the inside of the safe? Is there room, for example, to make a foam liner to hold a pistol so it doesn’t slide around?
I'm not near my truck, so can't take a picture just yet, but there's definitely room to add some thin, high density foam (I'm thinking 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch). If I can find a source of really good high density foam in sheets with adhesive backing, I may try cutting some panels to fit and installing them to line the entire inside of the safe. For now, I just took a couple of microfiber towels and set them in there as a mat of sorts, and that keeps my Sig from moving around.

I really wish Lock'er down had an option for foam lining that can be installed afterwards. That would ROCK for an already-amazing product.

B

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not near my truck, so can't take a picture just yet, but there's definitely room to add some thin, high density foam (I'm thinking 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch). If I can find a source of really good high density foam in sheets with adhesive backing, I may try cutting some panels to fit and installing them to line the entire inside of the safe. For now, I just took a couple of microfiber towels and set them in there as a mat of sorts, and that keeps my Sig from moving around.

I really wish Lock'er down had an option for foam lining that can be installed afterwards. That would ROCK for an already-amazing product.

B
I know a guy who builds custom Pelican cases for survey equipment, I’ve used his services many times. I’d probably have him create this for me to hold my SR9. (I’m a Ruger girl!) Good to know there’s some room for it!

I travel a lot for work, and a very frightening situation some time ago prompted me to get my concealed permit. I already knew my way around firearms very well, but I learned a lot from that class.

Briencrotty

Reaction score
I know a guy who builds custom Pelican cases for survey equipment, I’ve used his services many times. I’d probably have him create this for me to hold my SR9. (I’m a Ruger girl!) Good to know there’s some room for it!

I travel a lot for work, and a very frightening situation some time ago prompted me to get my concealed permit. I already knew my way around firearms very well, but I learned a lot from that class.

The Pelican guy is a great idea. Those cases rock. A lot depends on whether you want to dedicate the safe to only holding your Ruger (in which case he could create a somewhat typical pelican insert, just fitted to the inside of the safe), or whether you just want the walls of the safe lined with foam so that your Ruger doesn't slide around or get scratched. Which Ruger, and will you have it in the safe in a holster, or loose?

I travel frequently for work, too, and I know exactly what you mean. I've had my carry permit for decades, and used to teach those classes. They are a GREAT way to learn a ton, not only about the firearms itself, but the legality of using it, the tactics behind its use, and effective means of carrying more discretely and safely.

B

SynAckuL

Reaction score

IMHO, foam may make it more difficult to retrieve the weapon when needed. Have you looked at a magnet solution? That should keep it from sliding as well as make sure it's at the ready if needed.

Briencrotty

Reaction score
IMHO, foam may make it more difficult to retrieve the weapon when needed. Have you looked at a magnet solution? That should keep it from sliding as well as make sure it's at the ready if needed.

I thought about that, too, but it depends on the kind of foam you're using. If it's high density foam sheets simply lining the inside walls, that could be used in conjunction with a magnet. The only purpose of the foam is to a) avoid the gun sliding around in the safe; and b) protect the gun from banging up against the metal walls of the safe and scratching it. I wouldn't store my gun in the safe without it being in a holster, just to avoid an accidental discharge in the event something else happens to be in the safe with it.

I really only use the safe for storage of my gun when it's not otherwise on my hip - I can't realistically see me pulling open the console, putting in my combination, and opening the safe to grab it in the event of an emergent need. I'd much rather have it on my hip when I may need it, and use the safe only for storage.

B

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I would dedicate the safe to only the pistol, which is a Ruger SR9. This is the one I keep in the vehicle on long trips. If I had to pull over, I’d have it out the safe and ready.

My typical carry weapon is a Ruger LCP .380. Small, light, and hides away in even a small purse or handbag. A highway breakdown or flat tire is about the most vulnerable situation in which you can find yourself, and for that reason I wanted a travel gun with a little more knock down power.

This has happened to me already, where a guy stopped while I was changing a tire. He wasn’t there to help me, as he never did anything. He never laid a hand on me, but was acting really weird and practically standing over me. Saying very crude things. I don’t think I’ve been more afraid in my life, not knowing what this guy was up to. I hauled *** out of there without half the lugs back on and he was still standing on the side of the road.

amazing210

Reaction score
I have the tuffy safe in my laramie, nearly the same as locker down , half the price, key lock only. love it

Briencrotty

Reaction score
I think I would dedicate the safe to only the pistol, which is a Ruger SR9. This is the one I keep in the vehicle on long trips. If I had to pull over, I’d have it out the safe and ready.

My typical carry weapon is a Ruger LCP .380. Small, light, and hides away in even a small purse or handbag. A highway breakdown or flat tire is about the most vulnerable situation in which you can find yourself, and for that reason I wanted a travel gun with a little more knock down power.

This has happened to me already, where a guy stopped while I was changing a tire. He wasn’t there to help me, as he never did anything. He never laid a hand on me, but was acting really weird and practically standing over me. Saying very crude things. I don’t think I’ve been more afraid in my life, not knowing what this guy was up to. I hauled *** out of there without half the lugs back on and he was still standing on the side of the road.

That's a good idea for that use case for sure. That safe will be a great place for that larger gun for that scenario.

LCP is a great little gun. Definitely good thinking to have a bit more power than the .380 if it's accessible, as it certainly would be in the situation you've described.

That's a crazy situation on the side of the road!!! There are some really terrible people out there, and it pays to be safe. If that happens again, one of the best things you can do is ring up 911 and make it abundantly clear to him that you're on the phone with the police, who are on their way. That will usually take the wind out of some dirtbag's sails. All that said, though, speak softly and carry a big stick remains good advice, and having that gun with you would have certainly provided you a greater level of safely in the event that idiot tried anything. Better safe than sorry!!!! Glad you got out of that one safely for sure.

B

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's a good idea for that use case for sure. That safe will be a great place for that larger gun for that scenario.

LCP is a great little gun. Definitely good thinking to have a bit more power than the .380 if it's accessible, as it certainly would be in the situation you've described.

That's a crazy situation on the side of the road!!! There are some really terrible people out there, and it pays to be safe. If that happens again, one of the best things you can do is ring up 911 and make it abundantly clear to him that you're on the phone with the police, who are on their way. That will usually take the wind out of some dirtbag's sails. All that said, though, speak softly and carry a big stick remains good advice, and having that gun with you would have certainly provided you a greater level of safely in the event that idiot tried anything. Better safe than sorry!!!! Glad you got out of that one safely for sure.

B
Honestly, for a moment I was thinking about cracking him in the head with a tire tool preemptively. If there was an altercation, he’d have overpowered me. Then I realized if I missed or he was hopped up on drugs, I’d have made my situation a lot worse.

I should have called 911 as soon as I stopped. If I tried calling after he showed up, whatever he had planned was going to play out before help arrived. I just talked nice, got 3 lugs on, and got of there.

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What sort of magnet device would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread