5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seat wear on 2019 Rebel

ajosephngs

Reaction score
I've had my rebel for about 9 weeks and am already seeing some significant wear on the vinyl seat seam. The black vinyl has flaked off a little revealing the white fabric underneath. I've been waiting for steps I like to come on the market and I'm sure this is from climbing in/out but I thought for sure I had more than a couple months before the seat fell apart. I'm pretty pissed to see seat wearing this quickly such an expensive truck. Anyone else seeing this?

brewdad

Reaction score
I've had my rebel for about 9 weeks and am already seeing some significant wear on the vinyl seat seam. The black vinyl has flaked off a little revealing the white fabric underneath. I've been waiting for steps I like to come on the market and I'm sure this is from climbing in/out but I thought for sure I had more than a couple months before the seat fell apart. I'm pretty pissed to see seat wearing this quickly such an expensive truck. Anyone else seeing this?
Take to your local service department, this is covered under basic 3/36 warranty; they will have to send photos to FCA to get prior approval before they can order replacement seat cover.

ajosephngs

Reaction score
Take to your local service department, this is covered under basic 3/36 warranty; they will have to send photos to FCA to get prior approval before they can order replacement seat cover.
I figured they would just call it a wear and tear part. I'll see what they have to say.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just took my Rebel in for a defect on the steering wheel leather and squeaky console lid... Service Manager mentioned they've had a few Rebels come in with seat issues and he was impressed how good my seats looked. I feel lucky for now.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well that’s not cool and a bit concerning. No amount of climbing in and out should cause that in that short of period of time. Maybe if an object was scraping it? Keys? But it doesn’t even look like that’s likely given its location along the seam. Plus they should have made the fabric tougher than that.

ajosephngs

Reaction score
Nothing scraping there. I don't even keep a wallet in my pocket. I don't even think it's from getting in and out any more. I think it's from bulging a bit when I sit.

MikeRancho

Reaction score
Really interested to see what the outcome in. Been waiting to buy running boards for mine until the Mopar automatics are able to be ordered. Need to keep an eye on it

Tommy R

Reaction score
That's quite concerning for such a pricey (to me) truck. I will say that the first thing I noticed getting in/out of a Rebel the first time was that the seat bolsters were quite a bit taller than other trucks I'd test driven. I'm such a stickler about preventing any kind of wear I actually use the A-pillar grab handle to help me get up/over the bolster everytime I get in or out. And I'm fairly tall at 6'1" and I'm not exactly a heavy fella, either. I should add that I don't have running boards of any sort. Waiting until I stomach the bill for some Amp Research steps. $$$$

edgarrian

Reaction score
I was wondering if you had the dealer look at this yet and what they might do to address a fix. Probably the only way is to replace the seat.

Saints

Reaction score
How big of a boy are you? That is a high stress area on any vehicle and you should avoid sliding in and out of the seat. You are correct that the vinyl is tearing at the seam and the only true repair is replacement.

smiles5619

Reaction score
Really interested to see what the outcome in. Been waiting to buy running boards for mine until the Mopar automatics are able to be ordered. Need to keep an eye on it

I hear ya! The chrome Mopar ones are available but the all black ones are not being ordered yet (in Canada anyways). It frustrating for sure. I'm using my handle to better get in and out to reduce wear on the seat getting in and out. You mentioned ordering the automatic running boards, will that be an option?

ajosephngs

Reaction score
How big of a boy are you? That is a high stress area on any vehicle and you should avoid sliding in and out of the seat. You are correct that the vinyl is tearing at the seam and the only true repair is replacement.
There’s no excuse for it after just a few weeks. I’m 250 but I don’t slither in and out and I was being careful. my totota didn’t show that kind of wear after 5 years. The vinyl didn’t rip at the seams. The polymer flakes off the backing. Possibly from stretching/flexing but the seam is intact. The white is the cloth backing.

Saints

Reaction score
There’s no excuse for it after just a few weeks. I’m 250 but I don’t slither in and out and I was being careful. my totota didn’t show that kind of wear after 5 years. The vinyl didn’t rip at the seams. The polymer flakes off the backing. Possibly from stretching/flexing but the seam is intact. The white is the cloth backing.
I agree with you that it shouldn’t happen in just a few weeks and I know what I am seeing here. I have owned a leather/vinyl repair business for 20+ years. There is no polymer that you speak of. The vinyl is ripping from the seams (and that vinyl is weak) and as I said before the only true repair is replacement. They may try to get their interior guy to repair it, and it may look good and hold for awhile, but like I said. The only true repair is replacement. 250 is a big boy (not knocking as I am similar) but you have to take care as this is a high wear area and be contious to use your running boards.

mike0012

Reaction score
I've had this issue previously in Jeeps. I opted for cloth seats to avoid these same issues.

RRPowers

Reaction score
Any update on this issue? Covered under warranty? I got a couple small tears in mine already.

Users who are viewing this thread