5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Screen Too Hot - Shutting Down to Cool" Message on 8.4 (Non-Nav)

FATKID

Reaction score
3 Hours into a 5 hour drive yesterday this message popped up on the 8.4 Screen and it fully shut down briefly. Has anyone experienced this before? (I searched before posting this)

The drive was from Madison WI to MSP - outside temp was ~15 degrees. Had AC set to Defrost at 70 degrees so the cabin was not hot.

Thanks.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have done 18 hour drives without issue, defrost/foot setting on the hvac.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in MSP and have a 2019 BH with the 8.4 and have never had that message even on long drives, never had it in my 2014 with the 8.4 either. Seems really strange!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
3 Hours into a 5 hour drive yesterday this message popped up on the 8.4 Screen and it fully shut down briefly. Has anyone experienced this before? (I searched before posting this)

The drive was from Madison WI to MSP - outside temp was ~15 degrees. Had AC set to Defrost at 70 degrees so the cabin was not hot.

Thanks.
I believe that's a first here. If it happens again, you may want to reach out to your dealer and have them diagnose.

FATKID

Reaction score
I live in MSP and have a 2019 BH with the 8.4 and have never had that message even on long drives, never had it in my 2014 with the 8.4 either. Seems really strange!
Never happened on my 2014 either with 140k+ miles on it when sold.
I believe that's a first here. If it happens again, you may want to reach out to your dealer and have them diagnose.
Not the first time it’s happened to me unfortunately. I bought my ‘20 with 11k miles on it CPO. Now have over 21k so I’m still under full factory warranty. Will probably call dealer to discuss and will report back.

Thanks all.

Quint

Reaction score
If it happened near Baraboo, then you should blame the circus clowns and their "wagons." Otherwise, I think that you're on the right track. Take it back to the dealer.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wonder if it has anything to do with the a/c issue. I think I read in a tsb that one of the complaints is warmer air flowing through the driver's side (I have experienced this), which leads me to believe that could create excess heat to build up behind the radio unit. There is a thread on this forum somewhere with the tsb number...

FATKID

Reaction score
Dealer visit this morning and unit is being replaced under warranty. He said they’ve never heard of this issue as the 8.4 is typically rock solid and likely a cooling fan not doing its job. Thanks All.

(Howling rear brakes being repaired too.)

Users who are viewing this thread