5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scratches on piano black 12" surround

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I purchased my 2019 Laramie Longhorn this past November. A few days later, I was looking over the interior and noticed a scratch on the instrument cluster lens which I was able to successfully polish out along with the complete lens using Novus plastic polish. In doing this, I used a wide angle LED flashlight in order to see, and eliminate the scratches. When the lens was completed, I started looking over the rest of the dash using the light. When I directed the light at the 12" center stack I think my heat skipped a beat! There were so many scratches, and it looked like the center stack / piano black surround had been pushed across a work table during assembly; there are even scratches on the display. I took numerous pictures using the light, and flash, as it looks fine in indirect lighting (even in the daylight). The next day I went back to the dealership and spoke with the service manager, and showed him the pictures. His reply was that FCA would not warranty the scratched center stack, and that if he ordered one, they would never reimburse him for it. Not one to give up, I contacted the general manager, who told me to go back to the service manager and they would take care of things for me. Again, I was told the it could not be warrantied for scratches and that FCA was denying most interior parts that had scratches. He also said that many new parts that are ordered, have scratches due to not being packaged securely (this I can believe). So now I'm left with a display / surround, that, when light is directed at it, looks like it's been wiped with steel wool. I can order a replacement ( the cheapest I've found is (865.00), but I'm concerned that it too, may have scratches from the factory, and I would not be able to return it because it's an electrical part, and there are 20191126_135854.jpg 20191126_135747.jpg 20191126_135821.jpg 20191126_135907.jpg 20191126_135600.jpg no returns on electrical parts. So, I'd like to ask if any members with the 12" display could take a few minutes and shine a light on there piano black surround and see if there are others in the same condition as mine. I greatly appreciate any, and all input. 20191126_135854.jpg

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased my 2019 Laramie Longhorn this past November. A few days later, I was looking over the interior and noticed a scratch on the instrument cluster lens which I was able to successfully polish out along with the complete lens using Novus plastic polish. In doing this, I used a wide angle LED flashlight in order to see, and eliminate the scratches. When the lens was completed, I started looking over the rest of the dash using the light. When I directed the light at the 12" center stack I think my heat skipped a beat! There were so many scratches, and it looked like the center stack / piano black surround had been pushed across a work table during assembly; there are even scratches on the display. I took numerous pictures using the light, and flash, as it looks fine in indirect lighting (even in the daylight). The next day I went back to the dealership and spoke with the service manager, and showed him the pictures. His reply was that FCA would not warranty the scratched center stack, and that if he ordered one, they would never reimburse him for it. Not one to give up, I contacted the general manager, who told me to go back to the service manager and they would take care of things for me. Again, I was told the it could not be warrantied for scratches and that FCA was denying most interior parts that had scratches. He also said that many new parts that are ordered, have scratches due to not being packaged securely (this I can believe). So now I'm left with a display / surround, that, when light is directed at it, looks like it's been wiped with steel wool. I can order a replacement ( the cheapest I've found is (865.00), but I'm concerned that it too, may have scratches from the factory, and I would not be able to return it because it's an electrical part, and there are View attachment 46675 View attachment 46676 View attachment 46677 View attachment 46678 View attachment 46679 no returns on electrical parts. So, I'd like to ask if any members with the 12" display could take a few minutes and shine a light on there piano black surround and see if there are others in the same condition as mine. I greatly appreciate any, and all input. View attachment 46675
I use Meguiars cleaner wax and it does wonders with scratches on trim pieces.

Trebel

Reaction score
I purchased my 2019 Laramie Longhorn this past November. A few days later, I was looking over the interior and noticed a scratch on the instrument cluster lens which I was able to successfully polish out along with the complete lens using Novus plastic polish. In doing this, I used a wide angle LED flashlight in order to see, and eliminate the scratches. When the lens was completed, I started looking over the rest of the dash using the light. When I directed the light at the 12" center stack I think my heat skipped a beat! There were so many scratches, and it looked like the center stack / piano black surround had been pushed across a work table during assembly; there are even scratches on the display. I took numerous pictures using the light, and flash, as it looks fine in indirect lighting (even in the daylight). The next day I went back to the dealership and spoke with the service manager, and showed him the pictures. His reply was that FCA would not warranty the scratched center stack, and that if he ordered one, they would never reimburse him for it. Not one to give up, I contacted the general manager, who told me to go back to the service manager and they would take care of things for me. Again, I was told the it could not be warrantied for scratches and that FCA was denying most interior parts that had scratches. He also said that many new parts that are ordered, have scratches due to not being packaged securely (this I can believe). So now I'm left with a display / surround, that, when light is directed at it, looks like it's been wiped with steel wool. I can order a replacement ( the cheapest I've found is (865.00), but I'm concerned that it too, may have scratches from the factory, and I would not be able to return it because it's an electrical part, and there are View attachment 46675 View attachment 46676 View attachment 46677 View attachment 46678 View attachment 46679 no returns on electrical parts. So, I'd like to ask if any members with the 12" display could take a few minutes and shine a light on there piano black surround and see if there are others in the same condition as mine. I greatly appreciate any, and all input. View attachment 46675
Took my brand new 2019 rebel back to dealer and every one on the lot had the same thing . Dealership told me to bad

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yours is ridiculous. I would bug the dealer to replace it. Mine was perfect when I got it but I later had a small scratch that I must have done and I was able to get it out with Meguiars cleaner wax.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Yours is ridiculous. I would bug the dealer to replace it. Mine was perfect when I got it but I later had a small scratch that I must have done and I was able to get it out with Meguiars cleaner wax.
I think if there was only a minor scratch, I would polish it, but it's almost impossible since it would have to be removed and disassembled to try and get it more or less perfect. Way to many buttons / crevices to get polish & wax into; plus the screen itself has a few imperfections also. I am very interested in how many more are in the condition mine is in. It's just not right, considering the cost of these trucks.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my comments to follow are not intended at all to bash, just my opinion.

I do sympathize with new a truck and any scratches. Asking your service guy to warranty the surround benzel ~ three months after noticing scratches is to me, a stretch. no harm in asking but knowing the answer could strongly been a no should not have been a surprise.

the scratches are from wiping the benzel with way too much force with the wrong type of cleaning cloth. No telling if it was done at delivery, or in your garage.

I had a similar issue with my truck at delivery, except scratches were on the entire exterior of the paint, from the “detail“ upon delivery. I went off on the dealership and they paid to have the truck professionally detail and the paint corrected.

I did not wait three months.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
my comments to follow are not intended at all to bash, just my opinion.

I do sympathize with new a truck and any scratches. Asking your service guy to warranty the surround benzel ~ three months after noticing scratches is to me, a stretch. no harm in asking but knowing the answer could strongly been a no should not have been a surprise.

the scratches are from wiping the benzel with way too much force with the wrong type of cleaning cloth. No telling if it was done at delivery, or in your garage.

I had a similar issue with my truck at delivery, except scratches were on the entire exterior of the paint, from the “detail“ upon delivery. I went off on the dealership and they paid to have the truck professionally detail and the paint corrected.

I did not wait three months.
I appreciate the reply Goatmann. At the beginning of my post, I clearly state that a few days after purchasing the truck, I noticed the scratches while inspecting the interior for any glaring defects. It was within a few days after buying it that I went back to the dealership concerning the center stack; not three months.
The reason for my post concerning the condition of the Center Stack, is to determine how many other owners have one in the same condition, as I do not want to order a replacement only to end up with one in the same (or worse) condition and be out over $900.00 or so.
Having been in the automotive industry since the early 80's, owning a high end auto restoration shop, and restoring countless vehicles over the years, I am very knowledgeable on what, and what not to use on paint and plastics, and would never use anything more that a static duster on a finish such as the surround.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I appreciate the reply Goatmann. At the beginning of my post, I clearly state that a few days after purchasing the truck, I noticed the scratches while inspecting the interior for any glaring defects. It was within a few days after buying it that I went back to the dealership concerning the center stack; not three months.
The reason for my post concerning the condition of the Center Stack, is to determine how many other owners have one in the same condition, as I do not want to order a replacement only to end up with one in the same (or worse) condition and be out over $900.00 or so.
Having been in the automotive industry since the early 80's, owning a high end auto restoration shop, and restoring countless vehicles over the years, I am very knowledgeable on what, and what not to use on paint and plastics, and would never use anything more that a static duster on a finish such as the surround.
I have no scratches at all on my surround benzel on my 12” unit.

to alleviate any stress, from tossing that much coin at a part, i’d order it through the dealer and only accept the part upon inspection to your satisfaction.

good luck and take care, sir!

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I have no scratches at all on my surround benzel on my 12” unit.

to alleviate any stress, from tossing that much coin at a part, i’d order it through the dealer and only accept the part upon inspection to your satisfaction.

good luck and take care, sir!
Goatmann, did you shine a light on it when you looked? Mine looks almost perfect in the daylight, although when the sun shines on it at a certain angle, faint scratches are noticeable. Ordering and examining the 12" center stack before purchase from a dealer is definitely the way to go; however, the cost would be around 400.00 more compared to dealer online prices, so I would have to go with the online purchase. Regards, and thank you for the suggestions.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Goatmann, did you shine a light on it when you looked? Mine looks almost perfect in the daylight, although when the sun shines on it at a certain angle, faint scratches are noticeable. Ordering and examining the 12" center stack before purchase from a dealer is definitely the way to go; however, the cost would be around 400.00 more compared to dealer online prices, so I would have to go with the online purchase. Regards, and thank you for the suggestions.
I think a replacement will look the same. My truck has looked like yours in direct sunlight since day 1. It's the same plastic that Ford uses between the front and rear windows on the doors. That stuff scratches if you look at it wrong. MicroFibre cloths would instantly scratch them.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I think a replacement will look the same. My truck has looked like yours in direct sunlight since day 1. It's the same plastic that Ford uses between the front and rear windows on the doors. That stuff scratches if you look at it wrong. MicroFibre cloths would instantly scratch them.
HeliPilot, is yours as scratched up as mine? It's very discouraging to think that there all like this; especially at the price point we're paying for these vehicles.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is not near as scratched up as OP’s trim. I have a few micro scratches that can be seen when the light hits at the right angle. I'm not messing with polishing because I believe the surface is incredibly sensitive and I don't want to run the risk of more micro marring. I use a clean, plush microfiber and lightly go over the area as seldom as possible. My wild guess looking at the picture is the dealership while wiping down the area used a dirty or abrasive contaminated towel.

BackAgain

Reaction score

It's been my experience (with several manufacturers) that if you look at this stuff wrong it'll scratch. I absolutely don't understand why they all think this piano black is a good thing.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OP, if you can't get it resolved with the dealer with no money out of your pocket, take it to a professional detailer to have it looked at. With the right pro, there are specialized DAs, polishers and techniques to bring that piano black. That would be more cost effective than purchasing a full replacement. I agree with others that there can be DYI methods such as cleaner waxes but if I were in your situation with how marred your trim is, I would have a pro handle it.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
OP, if you can't get it resolved with the dealer with no money out of your pocket, take it to a professional detailer to have it looked at. With the right pro, there are specialized DAs, polishers and techniques to bring that piano black. That would be more cost effective than purchasing a full replacement. I agree with others that there can be DYI methods such as cleaner waxes but if I were in your situation with how marred your trim is, I would have a pro handle it.
Thanks for the replies. Yes, piano black is not the best choice for automotive trim. Years back, when I was restoring cars, I polished many dash / console inserts on the Monte Carlo SS's; these parts were gloss black and could easily be polished, as there were no buttons, knobs and crevices to capture excess polish. Trying to restore the 12" center stack would require removal and disassembly to get it perfect; it would be so much easier to get a "near perfect" replacement and R/R it.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
I have some scratches on my gauge cluster that are really bugging me when the sun hits it. I’m gonna see what I can do with it in the spring time.

I’m not sure if many of u have heard of this guy but he’s incredibly thorough with detailing. This one is regarding piano black trim care.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have some scratches on my gauge cluster that are really bugging me when the sun hits it. I’m gonna see what I can do with it in the spring time.

I’m not sure if many of u have heard of this guy but he’s incredibly thorough with detailing. This one is regarding piano black trim care.

Yeah, he is pretty meticulous. That's why I was thinking a professional would be best idea in this case. I don't think many guys have a 1" DA polisher laying around like this guy.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Piano black is always a nightmare. One thought would be to pull the bezel and have it “vinyl wrapped” with your choice: solid color, carbon fiber, etc. No more scratches and hella cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread