5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rust at the top of struts

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
When I installed my leveling spacers the other day, I notice the top of the strut had some rust. The nut and stud are starting to pit on both of them. (Forgot to take pics) Any idea why water would be getting in there? Maybe from the fender well when it rains? I couldn’t believe this. I only have 25k miles.
For now I put some caliper grease in there to prevent moisture from getting to it. Is there supposed to be some sort of cap/plug?

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shoot it with ACP-50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When I installed my leveling spacers the other day, I notice the top of the strut had some rust. The nut and stud are starting to pit on both of them. (Forgot to take pics) Any idea why water would be getting in there? Maybe from the fender well when it rains? I couldn’t believe this. I only have 25k miles.
For now I put some caliper grease in there to prevent moisture from getting to it. Is there supposed to be some sort of cap/plug?
I have a 2019 also, mechanic told me to get the "rust proofing" on, post #2 is in my game plan. Already purchased a quart, need to get to work with it and stop posting on the forum.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks this is kind of what I did with the grease. Now that I have the spacers, there is a much bigger hole to stop up. Thinking about going to Lowes to see if I can make some sort of plug.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine are the same way, water and road salt just hang out there. I hit the area with some petroleum/wax based spray (Boesheild)
Shoot it with ACP-50

Not be confused with shooting it with a .45 ACP

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine are the same way, water and road salt just hang out there. I hit the area with some petroleum/wax based spray (Boesheild)

Not be confused with shooting it with a .45 ACP

Not unless ya wanna put it out of it’s misery …. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread