5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rough Cold start on chill weather

hortizo

Reaction score
Hello all.
On the past couple of days it has been a bit chilly in the mornings (53F) and i noticed that in both mornings my truck hast struggled to run after being off all night.

The first day it just made starting noises and i noticed the tachometer boucin around at 1000 rpm, then it started rught up.

Today was a different story. I started the engine, same noises but then no engine start. i had to push the button again and then it started without a problem.
Before the chilly mornings, i didnt notice this problem. Ive had the truck since last saturday october 6th.

Is anyone else been having this issue? is this common?

Ive talked to some previous gen RAM owners and they just shrugged and said its just a common RAM problem, but i dont think this is normal on a brand new truck.

Thank you!

jw38

Reaction score
I live in South Texas where "chilly" is defined as being below 70 degrees! I've had the rough start issue since I bought my truck and I plan to take it to the dealership as soon as I can find the time. The rough start only occurs on the first start of the day and the engine usually settles down after about 15 seconds.

hortizo

Reaction score
I live in South Texas where "chilly" is defined as being below 70 degrees! I've had the rough start issue since I bought my truck and I plan to take it to the dealership as soon as I can find the time. The rough start only occurs on the first start of the day and the engine usually settles down after about 15 seconds.

My rough start is only in the first start of the day also. I did an experiment on the past couple of days where i filled the tank with lower octane gasoline. The past two mornings the engine has started with no problem...

Maybe this has something to do with the issue.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My rough start is only in the first start of the day also. I did an experiment on the past couple of days where i filled the tank with lower octane gasoline. The past two mornings the engine has started with no problem...

Maybe this has something to do with the issue.
Coincidence. Seriously doubt that higher octane is the issue.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I gotta agree, when I put 93 in my truck it seemed to rough start much more than when I put non ethanol 89 in it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
NON-ETHANOL?????
You know what, I need to check again (Rudy's BBQ, in Katy, TX). Used to be but I did not check the last few times I've filled up there. I only fill up once in every three weeks or so, but next I'm I'm there I'll confirm.

U

User_3336

Typically, non-ethanol fuel is more expensive than 93 premium, and only available at a few locations around here.

Otherwise its 10% ethanol.

You know what, I need to check again (Rudy's BBQ, in Katy, TX). Used to be but I did not check the last few times I've filled up there. I only fill up once in every three weeks or so, but next I'm I'm there I'll confirm.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've resigned myself that my option is either 87 no ethanol, or 93 no ethanol. I can no longer find 89 no ethanol anywhere close to me (Iowa). I've been doing 87 and that's likely where I will stay. For testing I'll run a tank of premium at some point and crunch numbers. Doubt it will make sense on my Ram. It definitely did on my old Passat, but that called for premium of course.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I’ll only go to gas stations that see a high volume of cars so I don’t get old fuel. And that local station has 87, 91, 93, and non-ethanol 89 (which is what I go with)

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread