5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotating the tires

SacRebel

Reaction score
What’s the recommendation on rotating off-road tires? I’m at about 2,000 miles and plan on installing spacers at the time I do my first tire rotation.

machz

Reaction score
I normally do them at 5-6k and my last set of duratracs passed inspection with 72k on them. On a rear wheel drive, I cross the rears then bring the fronts straight back.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was just wondering what rotation pattern guys are using these days. For years they said you had to keep the tires on the same side with radials.

I see that has changed and was curious how people were doing their new trucks.

I see that they recomend a rearward cross or x pattern for 4x4.

Any thoughts on which is better or is it mute.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From that diagram, the forward cross is best. You want to ultimately have each tire make its way to each corner. It’s works best with smaller intervals, 3-5k miles on aggressive tires. The duratracs aren’t overly aggressive so as mentioned 5k is probably a good average.

But if you had an actual MT, you really want to do then around 3k.

Creep0321

Reaction score
I’m curious why you recommend the front cross vs the rear cross? Or if there really is a difference even?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think they are the same... there’s only 3 ways to do it like the diagram shows

UglyMutt

Reaction score
First you need to determine if your tires are unidirectional or multidirectional, most radial tires are Unidirectional meaning they roll only in one direction and have to stay on the same side when rotating, most unidirectional tires have a asymmetrical tread pattern and sometimes a v-shaped pattern which helps with hydroplaning so turning the tire around in the other direction would make it less efficient.

Multidirectional tires can work in either direction of travel and rotation is different in a sense depending if your front wheel drive or just rear wheel or all wheel and 4x4.. I look at goodyear tire and they says to rotate Multidirectional tires on a rear wheel drive vehicle you cross the front tires to the back and slide the back tires to the front and its vise-versa for front wheel drive models, nothing about 4x4's but this is all I got to offer from what I read.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
The owner's manual specifies that the rears go forward and the fronts cross.

That's the way I've always done my cars. I figure of there's any truth at all to the old tales about radials taking a set, let 'em set on the rear before they come forward. And any uneven wear on the fronts should get ground smooth by switching sides when they go to the rear. I managed to squeeze 70,000 miles out of a set of Goodyear Wranglers on my Jeep that way.

clazer

Reaction score
Rearward cross every 3-5k- longer on milder tread. You’ll want access to an air compressor since the fronts run 10psi higher than the rears. When you put on the spacers, make sure to follow the instructions and retorque after X miles depending on material.

Users who are viewing this thread