5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rock chips on rear fender flares

jcjohn

Reaction score
Has anybody else on here that lives on or drives a lot of gravel noticed significant rock chipping on the leading edge of the stock rear fender flares? My truck has air ride and Ram mud guards with 22s, and I would love to know if others have seen this and what can be done (other than mud guards) to prevent further issues? I was thinking of maybe running in OR 1 whenever on gravel to increase ride height, but I'm hoping there are other more practical ideas.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's a common problem. PPF is the only real solution. The wife's Limited was peppered last winter, and she doesn't ever drive on gravel. The county road department uses "sand" (gravel) for traction on their roads. We haven't decided on a course of action to fix them yet. I've only had mine for 2 months so I have that to look forward to this winter. The good news I guess is they won't rust.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Has anybody else on here that lives on or drives a lot of gravel noticed significant rock chipping on the leading edge of the stock rear fender flares? My truck has air ride and Ram mud guards with 22s, and I would love to know if others have seen this and what can be done (other than mud guards) to prevent further issues? I was thinking of maybe running in OR 1 whenever on gravel to increase ride height, but I'm hoping there are other more practical ideas.
Here’s what a quick google search shows:

jcjohn

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. Wouldn't be so bad if my truck wasn't white and the fenders black underneath the paint. Gonna look like $hit for a while until I can get it washed and cut some ppf. On my 2015 i had to run ppf on the leading edge of the quarters. At least they "fixed" that location.

morwyne

Reaction score
I think spraying bedliner on fender flares is a good idea also.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The factory mud guards are tiny, not sure they do much, I think either the Husky or Weathertech guards will do better, if you can also add the stationary running boards, it will really come close to preventing almost all rock hits from the front tire into the rear quarter.

Otherwise, as mentioned, PPF is your best option, though pricey. However my Husky front mud flaps and OEM running boards have been really good at preventing rock chips for me. It does help that fender flares on Rebels aren't painted, but I have no chips on any of the body panels in that area. I got my front Husky flaps for $45 and bought my OEM running boards from a member on this forum for $100. So vastly cheaper than getting PPF, especially if you find a used set of running boards.

RBRK

Reaction score
My 21’ came wirh a leading edge piece of film on it, but from previous experience on my 19 you need it wrapped to the actual body panel because they get hammered. I get my whole rocker panels and flares covered with film.

jcjohn

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. My truck has the automatic full length boards, and I am hesitatnt to replace them with stationary for a few reasons. 1- I'm guessing they do a decent job protecting the bottom of the rockers from chips. 2- Resale may be better with the automatic boards. 3- They may create less drag at hwy speeds for better mpg (guessing).

My 2015 Laramie had cab-length OEM stationary boards and Husky mud guards and I still got rock chips on the leading edge of my quarters.

My body shop guy is pretty reasonable with PPF, and I will investigate that across the rockers, leading edge of quarters, and leading edge of flares. I'm also looking into the Daystar leveling kit + Adjustable Front Sensor Links (set of 2) for Ram 1500. If I can get the truck to ride a little higher, maybe that will help reduce rock impacts as well.

I will measure the RAM guards vs. the Husky and Weathertech and see if that is worth a swap as well.

Thanks again!

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You guys got me considering getting replacement fender flares to run in the winter. Less than $300 shipped from BAM. Not sure how much work is involved in swapping them though. Probably on par with the cost of PPF, but I haven't priced that out locally yet.

Attachments

• 5th gen fender flares.JPG
    5th gen fender flares.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 9

jcjohn

Reaction score
You guys got me considering getting replacement fender flares to run in the winter. Less than $300 shipped from BAM. Not sure how much work is involved in swapping them though. Probably on par with the cost of PPF, but I haven't priced that out locally yet.
Are those painted or original finish (flat black)?

Users who are viewing this thread