5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rim Options

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Ordering lift, wheels, and tires on Friday. Going with the 4" BDS lift. But, need some assistance from you all on the rim size though. 20x10 -18 or 20x12 -44? Either option would be matched with a 35" tire.
Truck is almost a daily driver (driven 3 times a week) with occasional off road use.

Jdawgjax

Reaction score
i have been researching wheels for about a month, I highly recommend you go to www.customoffsets.com and put in those specs into the gallery search. That will help with your decison. The -44 offset is extremely aggressive for a daily driver but it really is a matter of personal preference.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I've been to Custom Offsets and their gallery for 5th gen Rams is somewhat limited. I've done a great deal of google searching for images and specs. Was hoping to get some first hand experiences from members here.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It will rub bad with the 12 wides, I’d drop down to a 33 if that’s the route you want to go. 305/55 looks good with a 20x12. And it will probably still rub a lot with any kind of flex off-road with a 35 even after trimming for street use.

I also don’t think I’d want to do much actual off-roading with that size wheel, the lips are going to get beat to death because there just isn’t enough sidewall or “bulge”.

I think you will be happier with the 10 wides, but you could make it work with some cutting if you really want the 12 wides.

You can kind of tell from here, this truck is at 7”. So visualize being 3” lower on that size tire (which this is actually probably 1/2” shorter than most 35s as well)

My truck still rubs a touch on the -51 wheels, but I’ve not trimmed anything on the actual truck body.

Edit: forgot this was a rebel, so you will be at 5” if you are doing the basic kit. That will def help some, so 2” lower that this one.

Attachments

• 9384B2B0-23E7-404F-B474-6EFC25CDF04C.jpeg
    9384B2B0-23E7-404F-B474-6EFC25CDF04C.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
It will rub bad with the 12 wides, I’d drop down to a 33 if that’s the route you want to go. 305/55 looks good with a 20x12. And it will probably still rub a lot with any kind of flex off-road with a 35 even after trimming for street use.

I also don’t think I’d want to do much actual off-roading with that size wheel, the lips are going to get beat to death because there just isn’t enough sidewall or “bulge”.

I think you will be happier with the 10 wides, but you could make it work with some cutting if you really want the 12 wides.

You can kind of tell from here, this truck is at 7”. So visualize being 3” lower on that size tire (which this is actually probably 1/2” shorter than most 35s as well)

My truck still rubs a touch on the -51 wheels, but I’ve not trimmed anything on the actual truck body.

Edit: forgot this was a rebel, so you will be at 5” if you are doing the basic kit. That will def help some, so 2” lower that this one.
Thanks, this was more of what I was looking for. I was not dead set on the 12" wide rim. I'm Keeping the stock Rebel wheels if I want to do anything aggressive off-road.

Side question for you. Are your side steps the normal drop length or the extended drop length? That's the next purchase after the lift and wheels.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, this was more of what I was looking for. I was not dead set on the 12" wide rim. I'm Keeping the stock Rebel wheels if I want to do anything aggressive off-road.

Side question for you. Are your side steps the normal drop length or the extended drop length? That's the next purchase after the lift and wheels.

Just the normal length ones, I had them on the truck stock and it was too low. It’s about right now, yours will actually probably be spot on for the drop amount.

Toothninja

Reaction score

Was that picture taken at La Cantera? Looks like the Superman behind you!

Users who are viewing this thread