5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ride quality difference with and without e-torque?

nimbus

Reaction score
I went from a 2020 Big Horn with e-torque to a 2022 Laramie without it and I swear the ride quality in my new truck is worse. So much worse, in fact, that I took the Laramie back to the dealership after 200 miles because I was convinced a wheel was out of balance or something. I feel more shaking and vibration at all speeds and RPMs than I ever remember feeling in the Big Horn. The dealership let me drive another Laramie without e-torque and sure enough, it felt exactly the same way so I know there's nothing wrong with my truck. Does the e-torque really make a difference or am I just losing my mind, fondly recalling a smoother Big Horn ride quality that never actually existed? Or could it be something else?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Etorque is supposed to smooth out the transmission shifts. But I don't see how it could affect how smooth the ride is.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
Doubt its eTorque. Wonder if there is an active damper that was eliminated due to the chip shortage or something

nimbus

Reaction score
I did think of one other difference, the Big Horn actually had the ORP and Falken Wildpeaks while the Laramie does not have the ORP and is on the Bridgestone Duelers. Go figure.

blazenlo

Reaction score
I did think of one other difference, the Big Horn actually had the ORP and Falken Wildpeaks while the Laramie does not have the ORP and is on the Bridgestone Duelers. Go figure.
Thats more likely your problem. Also make sure your tires aren't over inflated. I've seen them over inflated from the factory...something about shipping.

nimbus

Reaction score
Thats more likely your problem. Also make sure your tires aren't over inflated. I've seen them over inflated from the factory...something about shipping.
Seems counter-intuitive that the ORP springs and off-road tires would provide a better ride quality, but you're right...that's what it has to be. Time to do some upgrading, I suppose!

UnclJim

Reaction score
I think this is hits the mail on the head.

U

User_3336

ORP springs and off-road tires DOES NOT equate better ride quality. Quite the opposite.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems counter-intuitive that the ORP springs and off-road tires would provide a better ride quality, but you're right...that's what it has to be. Time to do some upgrading, I suppose!
I would suggest you test drive another big horn with the off road group first. maybe at another dealer if the one you got the Laramie doesn't have any big horns on the lot. mine came stock with off road and falkens and the ride was super smooth - it got a little stiffer with the level struts and lt tires upgrade and at first I was a little on the fence but now I am completely used to it and very happy with the ride.
I do believe the stock falkens a lot of these trucks come with have a very smooth ride.
If you still feel the need to upgrade to the off road group try the buy/sell section to see if you score a deal, many here with levels or lifts could be setting on the front shocks and springs ready to be unloaded. Not so much on the rear parts I think

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
ride quality is subjective. there are several wheel/tire and suspension differences across the 1500 line up that affect it. E torque isn't one of them

nimbus

Reaction score
ride quality is subjective. there are several wheel/tire and suspension differences across the 1500 line up that affect it. E torque isn't one of them
So I think we've ruled out E-torque but narrowed it down to either the ORP shocks/springs and/or the Falken A/T tires. Which of those would be more likely to have a bigger impact on ride quality?

Green Streak

Reaction score
I have a buddy that has a Laramie Sport with 22’s and we both agree my Rebel rides better. I think bigger sidewalls on the tires cushion the bumps more than the lower profile ones

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I think we've ruled out E-torque but narrowed it down to either the ORP shocks/springs and/or the Falken A/T tires. Which of those would be more likely to have a bigger impact on ride quality?

Like I said “better” is subjective. Some people like a floaty Cadillac feel, others like a more controlled and firm ride.

Both of those things could contribute based on what you think is a better ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did notice that the etorque felt like it shifted better when test driving prior to buying. At the time I did not know why, but did comment the etorque truck was smoother in that regard. Like others said, that should have nothing to do with the ride. I also preferred how the OR rode. It did feel firmer but still is very smooth. I thought the air suspension was great too. There are so many variables between springs, air shocks, tires, wheels and tire/wheel sizes any one of those could be the culprit

U

User_3336

Its a combination of tires and shocks, especially if you have an off road package.

Let me share this. I've test drove both of these. 2022 Frontier in both a regular 4x2 and a Pro-X 4x2.
Pro-X has upgraded Off Road tires 18" (Hanook), and upgraded off road shocks. This configuration road rough period. Jittery ride, like a constant slight vibration in the seat and in the steering wheel all the time.
Regular SV trim level with 17" Hanook tires with no off road package. Road smooth.

2021 Ranger FX2 vs regular 4x2..... Again FX2 has the bigger AT tires, and upgraded suspension and shocks (same as 4x4)....
FX2 had the same always jittery ride because of the stiff shocks and the chunky tires. In the regular 4x2 version with Michelin 17 inch tires, totally different ride quality.

I really don't understand the Pro-X and Fx2 versions of the Frontier and Ranger. They are 4x2 trucks.
These additions negatively affect the ride quality and jittery/choppy ride.

In the 4x4 versions, its the the same ride, but you just become to expect a 4x4 isn't going to offer the same ride quality as a 4x2.

I am not sure how ETORQUE in the Ram is having any effect on ride quality. Ride Quality is what the thread is about, not transmission shifts (or how they are felt in the truck) and correct me if I'm wrong, ETORQUE would not be in action at highway speeds in 8th gear anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread