5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing AGS and Active Air Dam

KentuckYCobrA

Reaction score
Hello all! Just wanted to give my experience with the new 1500 AGS and active air dam system.

As some of you already know, the 4th gen 1500's also have AGS. If you want to delete the AGS and don't want to have a CEL staring you in the face, you need to have a delete kit. Well, if you own a 5th gen 1500, I'm happy to report that you do NOT need a delete kit. I removed mine and instantly noticed that the motor controlling the shutters is very much different. Not only does it look different, it operates differently. Just simply pull out the motor and zip tie it to the frame... boom. Done. No CEL.

Additionally, I removed my lower bumper molding and active air dam system (not just the dam, but the whole entire system). Doing so will NOT cause a CEL to show up on the dash. I've been running my truck like this for 1k miles, no issues.

Unfortunately, I didn't take pics of these mods, but I would be more than happy to walk anyone through the process.

Attachments

• 20190821_101219.jpg
    20190821_101219.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,007
  • 20190821_102415.jpg
    20190821_102415.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 990

odhinnhrafn

Reaction score
AGS? The grill shutters? Why would you take them off, just out of curiousity? I have a Rebel, so I don't have the air dam, but what benefits come from disabling the AGS?

KentuckYCobrA

Reaction score
Fair questions....

Some owners may have aftermarket ram air systems, forced induction, or the Vararam Air Grabber. Those owners MAY see more benefit from those aftermarket products if they were to remove the AGS. Not meaning to insult the intelligence of the members (just reiterating), the AGS is active at certain times and speed during operation of the vehicle. The sole purpose of ram air systems (as mentioned above) is to provide immediate air to the engine once the throttle body opens up (if I'm wrong, please correct me). The AGS tends to compromise this. So, for peace of mind, some owners simply "delete" the AGS altogether.

As far as the active air dam.... I removed mine due to the nature of the build. I am currently installing an Addictive Desert Design Freedom Fighter bumper system and it requires the owner to delete the active air dam system altogether.

So... different strokes for different folks. Some owners have different intentions for their 5th gen.

odhinnhrafn

Reaction score
Makes perfect sense. Thank you, sir!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RAMRhode

Reaction score
Thanks, @kcsprig for the reply and info. Looking up the Addictive Bumper, I understand. Good luck with your build and please show pics of the mod!

ciscokid

Reaction score
My 19' is lifted so ags or airdam isnt gonna do squat for mpgs.. plus i feel it runs hot compared to my old 07... if i go for it ill post pics cuz i cant find any on the webs

If anyones got a good reason not to do it enlighten me plz
281b5d3e0b32d4e457c25fc08344326a.jpg
ca91c911d3ffb42fb9f68f63cd7fd211.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rod19

Reaction score
My 19' is lifted so ags or airdam isnt gonna do squat for mpgs.. plus i feel it runs hot compared to my old 07... if i go for it ill post pics cuz i cant find any on the webs

I had the front 2 inch leveling kit installed in my truck. So I feel the same way. With the front end lifted 2 inches the air dam is only covering about 1/2 inch instep is 2.5”

RainDesert

Reaction score
Hello all! Just wanted to give my experience with the new 1500 AGS and active air dam system.

As some of you already know, the 4th gen 1500's also have AGS. If you want to delete the AGS and don't want to have a CEL staring you in the face, you need to have a delete kit. Well, if you own a 5th gen 1500, I'm happy to report that you do NOT need a delete kit. I removed mine and instantly noticed that the motor controlling the shutters is very much different. Not only does it look different, it operates differently. Just simply pull out the motor and zip tie it to the frame... boom. Done. No CEL.

Additionally, I removed my lower bumper molding and active air dam system (not just the dam, but the whole entire system). Doing so will NOT cause a CEL to show up on the dash. I've been running my truck like this for 1k miles, no issues.

Unfortunately, I didn't take pics of these mods, but I would be more than happy to walk anyone through the process.

Update for my 2020 Tradesman. Removing the AGS has triggered my check engine light after the 2nd start up. Since I have so much more time at home recently, I thought I would remove the shutters and see what, if any difference I notice. Just wanted to let others know that a CEL is very likely on a 2020. I have not looked into getting it shut off quite yet.

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score

How big is that lift along with wheels and tires? Or is your garage super short?

U

User_3336

Removing the AGS or unplugging the motor results in better airflow and lower coolant temps.

i've seen them closed on a 95 degree day, and coolant temps @ 228. Remaining open never seen over 203.

Reactions: M2k

Obx Ram

Reaction score
I have 4,500 miles now and started watching the engine info and notice the coolant temp goes to 215 and oil to 222 , and found out this is normal. I have changed the thermostat to 190 degrees , 203 is factory. And off and on the temps will go up and down and still hit 215. perform shutter delete kit and now temps are 190 coolant 212 oil. I live on east coast where winters are short and summers long so this was needed for me. Mopar or no car!

sheepdog999

Reaction score
Hello guys.

My AGS keeps coding out every few days. Truck is out of OEM warranty and even though I purchased a Max Care extended warranty they are telling me that it does not cover it because its considered a grill. (Total BS) Anyhow, its $900 installed.

The question for the thread is, has anyone tried the delete kits out there and do I have to have a working motor for the delete kit to work?

2019 Ram 1500 BigHorn

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Where is the motor to unplug the AGS? I'm curious and willing to try it to verify cooler temps down here in FL.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Fair questions....

Some owners may have aftermarket ram air systems, forced induction, or the Vararam Air Grabber. Those owners MAY see more benefit from those aftermarket products if they were to remove the AGS. Not meaning to insult the intelligence of the members (just reiterating), the AGS is active at certain times and speed during operation of the vehicle. The sole purpose of ram air systems (as mentioned above) is to provide immediate air to the engine once the throttle body opens up (if I'm wrong, please correct me). The AGS tends to compromise this. So, for peace of mind, some owners simply "delete" the AGS altogether.

As far as the active air dam.... I removed mine due to the nature of the build. I am currently installing an Addictive Desert Design Freedom Fighter bumper system and it requires the owner to delete the active air dam system altogether.

So... different strokes for different folks. Some owners have different intentions for their 5th gen.
Got any pics with the new bumper?

U

User_3336

Removing/altering/unplugging the active grille shutter system is alot more difficult in a 5th gen than it was in previous years. 4th (classic) was a breeze.

Rafael_95

Reaction score
So I completely removed the active & passive air dampener on my 5th gen ram, and didn’t immediately get a CEL but about two weeks later one just showed up. I was wondering if just resetting the trucks computer (remove negative from battery, wait 20min etc) will be a permanent fix for this CEL or will I have to keep resetting it until I install the active air damper again?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the CEL is from removing the equipment then it will always come back in eventually. It will depend on how long the cycle takes to complete before it flags the fault.

I would check the CEL to see if it related to the air dam or if it's something else.

My last truck had 'soft' and 'hard' codes. Soft codes did not light the CEL and were non-emissions related and you could still pass a smog test. Anything emissions related and that code would light the CEL and you would have to get it fixed before smog (yes, I know that most of us have years before smog checks).

Rafael_95

Reaction score
Long story short I got a CEL from removing my Active Air Damper...

i initially decided to remove it because a darn racoon destroyed it, and it costs $730 to replace the whole system. After the incident I initially unplugged the power going to the AAD and there was no CEL. Then a few days later I unbolted and completely removed the system all together, still no CEL. Drove for about 1.5 weeks and then suddenly when I came to a stop before shutting off my truck the CEL popped up... from what I’ve seen everyone here never got a CEL, but I did frustratingly. I plan on just bolting on the motor and plugging in the power connector from the AAD so that it at least completes the loop electronically and hopefully the computer thinks all is well.

...Any other thoughts gentlemen?

Joslawson

Reaction score

Do you remember what size the screws or bolts were on the motorized part?

Users who are viewing this thread