5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel V6 Fuel Economy MPG

dodge360

Reaction score
Considering a V6 gas version of a Rebel due to my commute to work on highway/freeway.

Please post up your MPG, driving style, and how much city/highway you drive. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dodge360

Reaction score
Anyone? The hemis in the Rebels look to be getting around 14-16

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
14-16 highway you mean for the Hemis right?

On the Rebel, those 33" tires and 3.92 rear axle will result in 11-13 mpg city and 16-19 mpg highway depending on your driving. Mixed will be around 14 mpg or so.

The V6 is supposed to be a bit better, but those 33" tires and axle ratio will have a similar effect. Find out the official window sticker mpg, then remove about 3-4 mpg off of it to match what a Rebel will do in the real world, regardless of motor.

The reason why the Rebel is so off the EPA rating is because FCA is using the blanket mpg rating for the standard trim trucks with regular street tires and 3.21 rear axles.

dodge360

Reaction score

On the Rebel, those 33" tires and 3.92 rear axle will result in 11-13 mpg city and 16-19 mpg highway depending on your driving. Mixed will be around 14 mpg or so.

The V6 is supposed to be a bit better, but those 33" tires and axle ratio will have a similar effect. Find out the official window sticker mpg, then remove about 3-4 mpg off of it to match what a Rebel will do in the real world, regardless of motor.

The reason why the Rebel is so off the EPA rating is because FCA is using the blanket mpg rating for the standard trim trucks with regular street tires and 3.21 rear axles.

Thanks for the info! I was curious if the 3-4 mpg deduction would work when looking at the V6 or if the V6 was so under powered that you had to stay higher in the RPMs which results in the same overall MPG vs the V8.

EPA has the V6 at 19mpg and 24mpg. So theoretically 16mpg and 21mpg. Most of my driving is highway and freeway so I’d be happy with 20mpg. I drive very easy and am now getting 21-22mpg with a stock 19’ Silverado 4x4 Z71 5.3L V8

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I was curious if the 3-4 mpg deduction would work when looking at the V6 or if the V6 was so under powered that you had to stay higher in the RPMs which results in the same overall MPG vs the V8.

EPA has the V6 at 19mpg and 24mpg. So theoretically 16mpg and 21mpg. Most of my driving is highway and freeway so I’d be happy with 20mpg. I drive very easy and am now getting 21-22mpg with a stock 19’ Silverado 4x4 Z71 5.3L V8

Nice, that should be about right. The V6 w/ ETorque was picked this year for one of Wards's best motors awards, it's more than just a base motor. I would also recommend you try Ford's 2.7L Ecoboost except for the fact the F150 is about to be redesigned next year. That motor does have a ton of power when you want it, but seriously good highway mpg when you are on easy throttle. It will actual out accelerate both the Hemi and 5.3L LS while getting up to low 20s highway. But you would be buying a 5 year old designed truck that is about to be replaced in a few months.

dodge360

Reaction score
Nice, that should be about right. The V6 w/ ETorque was picked this year for one of Wards's best motors awards, it's more than just a base motor. I would also recommend you try Ford's 2.7L Ecoboost except for the fact the F150 is about to be redesigned next year. That motor does have a ton of power when you want it, but seriously good highway mpg when you are on easy throttle. It will actual out accelerate both the Hemi and 5.3L LS while getting up to low 20s highway. But you would be buying a 5 year old designed truck that is about to be replaced in a few months.

The 2.7 ecoboost is a great truck! I actually had a 2016 with a level kit and 34”s and I could get 22-23mpg on my 95% highway drive to work. But I traded it in for this 5.3 Silverado because I wasn’t sure of the 2.7s reliability outside of powertrain warranty

On a side note, the 19’ 3.6 rebels I’m looking at don’t show the etorque system in the for sale motor pictures. Do you know if Ram offered the 19’s with the 3.6 but without the etorque system?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're probably looking at saving $15/week in gas to drive a V6 Rebel instead of a HEMI. Why bother?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the highway I get 19mph which I'm happy with, I don't really see a v6 doing that much better. Around town driving is another story is closer to 13. All thinks considered I would still choose the hemi if I had to it all over again.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Downytide

Reaction score
On the highway I get 19mph which I'm happy with, I don't really see a v6 doing that much better. Around town driving is another story is closer to 13. All thinks considered I would still choose the hemi if I had to it all over again.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Same, on steady hwy you can easily hit 18-20mpg with a light foot and stay under 75mph.

I don't think the V6 is a bad choice, but I also don't see the point, the money you saved will probably be lot less than the money you wold lose in depreciation.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you want a Rebel with good fuel economy the diesel would be it.
Recouping the cost of that option ...
I am happy with my 14-15 mpg interstate.

mpj2206

Reaction score
If you want a Rebel with good fuel economy the diesel would be it.
Recouping the cost of that option ...
I am happy with my 14-15 mpg interstate.
Unless RAM made alot of changes with the new Ecodiesel over the previous, I would be surprised if it would give fantastic mileage in the Rebel.
33 inch tires and 3.92 gears certainly won't help the cause.

I had a 2016 Longhorn with the Eco. I tracked every fill up via Fuelly. Fuelly link
Overall lifetime average: 22mpg
My driving during that time: 95% highway. (110 miles round trip to work daily, cruise set to 78).

The Eco mileage was heavily affected by very small changes. When winter blend hits the northeast, mpg would drop to mid 19.
Add a 12 foot enclosed trailer weighing about 2000 lbs and mpg would drop to 12.

I though about changing to a more aggressive tire tread but, after reading Eco forums, found that a heavier tire (same size) would drop mpg by around 2.

I would be very surprised if the Eco platform in a Rebel would yield anywhere close to the mpg it gives in a small tire with 3.21 gears.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 3.6L V6 Rebel as a rental vehicle, and I hated it. Ended up taking it back to the rental place and got a different truck. The V6 seemed underpowered for the truck...and I was just in a quad cab, not even a full crew cab. Perhaps I'm just used to Hemi's (have one in my personal truck), but I would never go with the V6 after my experience with the rental.

If you want to get a sense for how they drive, check your local Enterprise Rental Stores, as them seem to have quite a bit of Ram's in their rental inventory. Perhaps you can rent one for a day or two to get a feel for the engine...it's relatively inexpensive.

dodge360

Reaction score
I had a 3.6L V6 Rebel as a rental vehicle, and I hated it. Ended up taking it back to the rental place and got a different truck. The V6 seemed underpowered for the truck...and I was just in a quad cab, not even a full crew cab. Perhaps I'm just used to Hemi's (have one in my personal truck), but I would never go with the V6 after my experience with the rental.

If you want to get a sense for how they drive, check your local Enterprise Rental Stores, as them seem to have quite a bit of Ram's in their rental inventory. Perhaps you can rent one for a day or two to get a feel for the engine...it's relatively inexpensive.

Good point, may have to rent one for a day

dodge360

Reaction score
Took one for an extended 61 mile drive today at about 4000’ away elevation. I was moderately aggressive on the throttle to make sure the V6 would have the power I need to tow a smaller trailer and SXS. The 61 miles also included driving up a 2,140’ grade that is 10 miles long and back down it. I estimate I drove 8 miles city, the rest was flattish highway at 60-70mph.

End result was 19.5mpg! If I did the same loop but driving normal, I’d estimate I would’ve gotten 21-22mpg.

While the V6 is peppy off the line, 40-70mph is where you notice that it is a V6 and it has to rev high to get the power. For my needs it’s more than adequate. Still has good power because of the 3.92 axle.

But I’m concerned with resell value (trade in value) in a few years when I want a different truck. From what I’ve seen the V8 version is about $2000 more than the V6 to buy today. When I used kelly blue book to value them as if I was trading them in today, it said the V8 with the same miles and condition was worth about $1500 more.

500a1304e6748af289962fd1f559590c.jpg

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ram is the only manufacturer that does this and I’m a little pissed about it. Every new vehicle I’ve ever purchase, the mpg was specific to that vehicle, gears, motor, trans etc. With the hemi I even spent the extra cash for e torque window sticker says 17-22 I can get 17+ in town. But 17.5 is the best on highway driving descent, under 60 mpg! It’s false advertisement as far as I’m concerned!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Ram is the only manufacturer that does this and I’m a little pissed about it. Every new vehicle I’ve ever purchase, the mpg was specific to that vehicle, gears, motor, trans etc. With the hemi I even spent the extra cash for e torque window sticker says 17-22 I can get 17+ in town. But 17.5 is the best on highway driving descent, under 60 mpg! It’s false advertisement as far as I’m concerned!

I agree fully, but by the law they are allowed to do it. Even GM, with their Trail Boss trim took the effort to make the adjustment with the mpg window sticker. It's similar to a Rebel trim, being 1" higher, performance axle ratio and off-road tires, albeit 32" instead of 33" like the Rebel. They still lowered the mpg specifically on the Trail Boss because they knew it would effect mpg.

Now as someone who has owned leveled trucks with 33" tires, I knew what to expect, but for someone new to trucks, which many are due to the popularity of the RAM, they may not know what to expect. That window sticker will be a shock to their system when they think they can get 16 mpg city and they get 11 mpg city.

shakenblake88

Reaction score
I have the V6 eTorque Engine and I'm very unimpressed with the gas saving over what others are posting with their V8 engines.
I get mixed city/highway of 16mpg. Currently have a pedal commander installed to make up for the "lag" when hitting the gas pedal.

Just for comparison prior to installing the pedal commander I purchased the truck on a Friday then left the next day (about 4 miles on the dash) for vacation from Maryland to Myrtle Beach and averaged ONLY 17mpg which I thought was horrible for mostly all highway miles @ around 70mph. (Also had the wife drive too..in case you're thinking it's just my driving lol...and she averaged the same.)

If I could do it again I'd go with the V8 hands down. Little extra cost for more gained power.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i wouldn't consider a v6 for a few reasons, resale being a big one. The negligible fuel savings arent really worth having an underpowered truck. I feel like so many people say this, but "i didnt get a truck to save on gas" lol. I do 95% city driving since i live close to work, and i can barely squeeze out 11 mpg if i tried really hard. i get around 12-13 highway. The 3.92 kills the mpg but it is so worth it with the hemi, it stays in 8th gear the whole time on the highway, no gear hunting at all when you need to accelerate.

Id get a V6 grand cherokee before id get a V6 Rebel, but thats just me

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the V6 eTorque Engine and I'm very unimpressed with the gas saving over what others are posting with their V8 engines.
I get mixed city/highway of 16mpg. Currently have a pedal commander installed to make up for the "lag" when hitting the gas pedal.

Just for comparison prior to installing the pedal commander I purchased the truck on a Friday then left the next day (about 4 miles on the dash) for vacation from Maryland to Myrtle Beach and averaged ONLY 17mpg which I thought was horrible for mostly all highway miles @ around 70mph. (Also had the wife drive too..in case you're thinking it's just my driving lol...and she averaged the same.)

If I could do it again I'd go with the V8 hands down. Little extra cost for more gained power.
Personally I think the Govt. pushing the electric and MPG on light duty trucks is causing the confusion when they should butt out! The 6 banger is going work harder to do every thing the 8 banger is going to do with ease making it a wash. The carbon foot print will be about the same. You will never accomplish the torque from the 6 you will from 8 with out stressing the 6 out over the long run. If you don't need the torque from not hauling or pulling very much the 6 may be the better choice. But if you want to be able to haul and pull at will what ever it may be the 8 will have it on hand with ease and with out the extra stress producing about the same foot print for both trucks. The Gubermnet will push us to the 6 no matter what! Don't know about electric but I will stay with my 8 banger it seems to do just fine and has for many years! When I no longer need to haul or pull nothing I will just drive the Hellcat leave a big ole foot print like sasquatch!!!

Users who are viewing this thread