5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel Spare Tire

RebelRye

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, picked up my 2019 Rebel yesterday & I have a question about the spare tire. First of all I'm so glad it's not one of those temporary spares with should be illegal for a truck, my 2008 Sport had a full size Goodyear matching spare but my 2011 Laramie & 2014 Sport both had dummies. So my understanding from what I read is that all Rams with the off road group will get a full size real spare. Any truck that the of froad group is added to as an option such as Big Horn for example get Falcon Wildpeak AT's, but with the Rebel you get Duratrac's. So I checked my spare and it's a Wildpeak 275/65/18 where as the Duratrac's are 275/70/18 and this is a 1" diameter difference, 33" vs 32". I don't have an issue with the spare not matching as the Falcon is still a good tire and way better then having a donut, however would the 1" diameter difference be an issue, especially in 4wd or axle lock? It kinda puzzles me why they just wouldn't match the tire & even more so why they would use a different size. Just wondering what everyone else got on their Rebel. Also, it's mounted on a black steel rim, I've heard of some spares being on aluminum rims, might depend on trim option.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, picked up my 2019 Rebel yesterday & I have a question about the spare tire. First of all I'm so glad it's not one of those temporary spares with should be illegal for a truck, my 2008 Sport had a full size Goodyear matching spare but my 2011 Laramie & 2014 Sport both had dummies. So my understanding from what I read is that all Rams with the off road group will get a full size real spare. Any truck that the of froad group is added to as an option such as Big Horn for example get Falcon Wildpeak AT's, but with the Rebel you get Duratrac's. So I checked my spare and it's a Wildpeak 275/65/18 where as the Duratrac's are 275/70/18 and this is a 1" diameter difference, 33" vs 32". I don't have an issue with the spare not matching as the Falcon is still a good tire and way better then having a donut, however would the 1" diameter difference be an issue, especially in 4wd or axle lock? It kinda puzzles me why they just wouldn't match the tire & even more so why they would use a different size. Just wondering what everyone else got on their Rebel. Also, it's mounted on a black steel rim, I've heard of some spares being on aluminum rims, might depend on trim option.
My spare is the same size as stock and its a raw colored aluminum rim. It's actually really decent looking.

RebelRye

Reaction score
Interesting, it makes sense to have the spare match what's on the truck from the factory. The Off-Road package that can be added to multiple trim levels all get Falcon Wildpeak AT tires so the spare on those should be the same, however with the Rebel getting Duratrac's I don't know why the spare would be the Falcon which is not even the same size, it should be a matching Duratrac of the same size. Maybe I should call FCA customer service & inquire. Not sure if I'm alone in having this spare and it's it's a mistake from the factory or if they just grab any spare as the truck moves down the line and we all have a variety spare tires.

Neokane

Reaction score
Interesting, it makes sense to have the spare match what's on the truck from the factory. The Off-Road package that can be added to multiple trim levels all get Falcon Wildpeak AT tires so the spare on those should be the same, however with the Rebel getting Duratrac's I don't know why the spare would be the Falcon which is not even the same size, it should be a matching Duratrac of the same size. Maybe I should call FCA customer service & inquire. Not sure if I'm alone in having this spare and it's it's a mistake from the factory or if they just grab any spare as the truck moves down the line and we all have a variety spare tires.

What did you ever find out about this?

B-Rebel

Reaction score

Just took a peak at my rebel spare. I’m in the same boat as you. Ever find anything regarding the size difference?

Neokane

Reaction score
I haven't look at mine to see what size it is, but I can confirm it is not a duratrac.

B-Rebel

Reaction score
Looking at other threads it looks like a 33” will fit. I’m planning on getting a full size duratrac soon as I plan on taking this thing off-road and don’t want be caught out in the boonies with a non matching spare

Voltacap

Reaction score
I have the same situation - 275/70R18's on the truck and a 275/65R18 spare!

Does anyone know if a 275/70R18 on an 18 inch wheel fits the spare tire space underneath?

ryanc111

Reaction score
I have the same situation - 275/70R18's on the truck and a 275/65R18 spare!

Does anyone know if a 275/70R18 on an 18 inch wheel fits the spare tire space underneath?

Yep, sure will. That’s what I have on my spare tire on my Laramie and it fits under their just fine. It is a used Duratrac though and frankly I haven’t looked under their since the tire shop mounted it to see just how tight the fit is.

orion

Reaction score
The owners manual indicates the smaller size for the spare.

Sterno90

Reaction score
I know this is an older post but will factory rims work with spare tire set up? When I get my rebel I am wanting to have my spare tire be matching completely with what is already on my truck. Or is that not a good idea?

U

User_21361

I know this is an older post but will factory rims work with spare tire set up? When I get my rebel I am wanting to have my spare tire be matching completely with what is already on my truck. Or is that not a good idea?

You will have the pop out the center cap (if you can) to have it work with the hoist system. The pulley should work as long as the stock wheel can fit the pulley catch (or whatever you call it). I would drop the spare you have, measure the hole and the catch. Then measure the stock wheel center cap to see if they are similarly sized. You should also look at clearance on the face to make sure you won’t scratch it

Do you plan to do a full five tire rotation? If not, the steel wheel will hopefully never see the light of day. If you will rotate, then you have to also pop out the center cap each time you rotate. I personally would save the money on the overly expensive Ram wheels unless you can get a cheap takeoff somewhere. If it works, it’s not a bad idea. I can just think of better ways for me to spend 400+$ and would never put that much effort into a rotation. If it sat in my bed or on my tailgate, it would be a different story (or like a jeep)

Sterno90

Reaction score
You will have the pop out the center cap (if you can) to have it work with the hoist system. The pulley should work as long as the stock wheel can fit the pulley catch (or whatever you call it). I would drop the spare you have, measure the hole and the catch. Then measure the stock wheel center cap to see if they are similarly sized. You should also look at clearance on the face to make sure you won’t scratch it

Do you plan to do a full five tire rotation? If not, the steel wheel will hopefully never see the light of day. If you will rotate, then you have to also pop out the center cap each time you rotate. I personally would save the money on the overly expensive Ram wheels unless you can get a cheap takeoff somewhere. If it works, it’s not a bad idea. I can just think of better ways for me to spend 400+$ and would never put that much effort into a rotation. If it sat in my bed or on my tailgate, it would be a different story (or like a jeep)
Well I do not have my Rebel yet. It is more of a just in case thing if I do need to swap a tire that way I am not compromising the look of the vehicle while I work on getting the tire repaired or replaced. But I may just end up making sure the spare has the same tire on it and not worry about a matching rim.

Sterno90

Reaction score
Any chance a 35” will fit under there?
I think it has been talked about before. I don't believe 35s will fit under there I think the biggest one person said was 34s. I could be mistaken though.

U

User_21361

I think it has been talked about before. I don't believe 35s will fit under there I think the biggest one person said was 34s. I could be mistaken though.

That’s what I recall as well. I put a matching duratrac under there and have very little clearance (maybe 1/4”) on the hitch and heat shield.

brewdad

Reaction score
Someone posted a picture of a new Rebel spare and it was a Falcon Wildpeak A/T like comes on the other Ram trims with the Off Road option.

U

User_21361

Someone posted a picture of a new Rebel spare and it was a Falcon Wildpeak A/T like comes on the other Ram trims with the Off Road option.
Yeah, for some reason Ram didnt put a matching spare on the Rebels (probably weight and smaller footprint). Luckily, its a cheap problem to correct haha. A stock size duratrac fits perfectly there on the provided steel wheel.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well I do not have my Rebel yet. It is more of a just in case thing if I do need to swap a tire that way I am not compromising the look of the vehicle while I work on getting the tire repaired or replaced. But I may just end up making sure the spare has the same tire on it and not worry about a matching rim.

Someone told me they always use a ugly wheel for a spare not to just save money, but also to motivate the owner to get the original tire fixed as soon as possible. With an exact spare, it may make us procrastinate in getting the original fixed, which will leave a deflated original tire sitting there and the owner without a spare ready in case of another issue.

My only issue with the Rebel spare is that it is slightly smaller, though I don't think we have a limited slip so it shouldn't be an issue in the short term. Besides, anytime I got a tire issue, I just take it to Discount Tire / American Tire who will fix it for free and even switch out and put back my spare. They fix typical flats for free, but I did pay $120 for their free lifetime rotate & balance with free road hazard replacement if the tire couldn't be fixed. I highly recommend getting that service, they can add it to any new vehicle even if you didn't buy the tires there. They replaced one of my Duratracs already, which would have cost almost double what I paid for the warranty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread