5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel HK Sound System Build

Pompito

Reaction score
After reading all possible posts of Harman Kardon system speakers replacement. I decided to give it a try to replace just the dash speakers and Went with the following phase 1 setup:
-Sound deadened doors and rear of cabin floor and rear wall. Dynamat extreme. 60sq/ft of Dynamat to sound deaden inner doors, door panels and rear of cabin.
-FaitalPro 3FE22, dash left, center and right, and headliner left and right.
-Removed upper door speakers.
-JL StealthBox with two 10" 10TW3-D8
-JL VX1000/1i
-JL DRC-205 Remote knob
-PAC AmpPRO AP4-CH41

Front Doors:

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg
Rear doors:
For the rear doors the process is basically the same as the front. Only difference you have to partially remove the molding below to access the hole to release the door handle.

IMG_1506.jpg
IMG_1508.jpg
IMG_1511.jpg

Rear sound deadening
IMG_1442.jpg
IMG_1444.jpg

Stealthbox installed
IMG_1447.jpg
JL amp installed
IMG_1451.jpg
IMG_1452.jpg
PSA:
When I installed the Stealthbox before bolting it down, I did a couple of test runs to make sure everything was working properly. From 25hz to about 70hz I was getting a high pitch whistling sound, much like a ground or signal noise. Checked all wires, connections, signals and grounds. Long story short, the noise was coming from the threaded holes on the sides of the Stealthbox that are used to bolt it down. The air pressure from the subs was whistling thru those holes that are supposed to be sealed when bolted down. Drove me nuts finding it, problem solved when screws were bolted into the holes.
Phase 2:
-Going fully active in front and passive in the back with Morel Hi-Fi Virtus 603 3 way component speakers.
-JL VX800/8i 8 channel DSP amp for power.

Will keep the post updated with feedback as I put stuff in.

Last edited:

MarchAFB

Reaction score
Fantastic! I will be following your thread closely. I am very curious as to how the JL Stealth box with the 2 - 10's sounds. That will probably be the first step of my HK upgrade (if I ever get my Rebel on order). I was also planning on going with the JL-VX1000 to drive them. Dash and door speakers will be second phase for me.

Keep us posted on how it's coming along.

Pompito

Reaction score
Fantastic! I will be following your thread closely. I am very curious as to how the JL Stealth box with the 2 - 10's sounds. That will probably be the first step of my HK upgrade (if I ever get my Rebel on order). I was also planning on going with the JL-VX1000 to drive them. Dash and door speakers will be second phase for me.

Keep us posted on how it's coming along.
Thanks! I don't know what type of bass boosting you are looking for but this things sound amazing. I'm am a bass heavy fan, not brain blowing but punchy bass kind of fan, and this things can go loud!. Beyond anything I will ever set them to do. Sound deadening helps a lot too to keep it clean. Still have to sound deaden the rear doors and fine tune the DSP but the sound quality on the stealthbox is amazing.

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
After reading all possible posts of Harman Kardon system speakers replacement. I decided to give it a try to replace just the dash speakers and Went with the following phase 1 setup:
-Sound deadened doors and rear of cabin floor and rear wall. Dynamat extreme.
-FaitalPro 3FE22, dash left, center and right, and headliner left and right.
-Removed upper door speakers.
-JL StealthBox with two 10" 10TW3-D8
-JL VX1000/1i
-JL DRC-205 Remote knob
-PAC AmpPRO AP4-CH41

View attachment 128542

View attachment 128545
Rear sound deadening
View attachment 128622
View attachment 128623

Stealthbox installed
View attachment 128624
JL amp installed
View attachment 128697
View attachment 128698
PSA:
When I installed the Stealthbox before bolting it down, I did a couple of test runs to make sure everything was working properly. From 25hz to about 70hz I was getting a high pitch whistling sound, much like a ground or signal noise. Checked all wires, connections, signals and grounds. Long story short, the noise was coming from the threaded holes on the sides of the Stealthbox that are used to bolt it down. The air pressure from the subs was whistling thru those holes that are supposed to be sealed when bolted down. Drove me nuts finding it, problem solved when screws were bolted into the holes.
Phase 2:
-Going fully active in front and passive in the back with Morel Hi-Fi Virtus 603 3 way component speakers.
-JL VX800/8i 8 channel DSP amp for power.

Will keep the post updated with feedback as I put stuff in.
What was the painter tape on the passenger side window used for? Thanks for the clear pics of the sound deadening makes me less nervous about ripping the doors off and getting this done. Any tips to make it easier or faster or any problems?

Pompito

Reaction score
What was the painter tape on the passenger side window used for? Thanks for the clear pics of the sound deadening makes me less nervous about ripping the doors off and getting this done. Any tips to make it easier or faster or any problems?
The painters tape is to hold the window up in place since you have to remove the window carrier panel if you are going to sound deaden (you should) the interior of the door.
This thread was of great help to figure out hoy to remove the window carrier panel.
Passive entry how to
This video will also help you
Passive entry how to video
I did not remove the harnesses from the door, just some harness clips so that I could slide the panel out and support it with a work bench. Take your time and bring beers.

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
The painters tape is to hold the window up in place since you have to remove the window carrier panel if you are going to sound deaden (you should) the interior of the door.
This thread was of great help to figure out hoy to remove the window carrier panel.
Passive entry how to
This video will also help you
Passive entry how to video
I did not remove the harnesses from the door, just some harness clips so that I could slide the panel out and support it with a work bench. Take your time and bring beers.
It looks like you had to remove the outside handle then to get that carrier panel off. I think I'm going to need a whole weekend for this one. Did you also do your rear doors?

Pompito

Reaction score
It looks like you had to remove the outside handle then to get that carrier panel off. I think I'm going to need a whole weekend for this one. Did you also do your rear doors?
You do have to remove the door handle(that is the easy part) with a long T25 torx bit or a T25 torx screwdriver, a short torx bit wont work, the hole in the door is too small to fit a bit holder. It does take sometime. I have not done the rears yet but is the same process.

MarchAFB

Reaction score
Thanks! I don't know what type of bass boosting you are looking for but this things sound amazing. I'm am a bass heavy fan, not brain blowing but punchy bass kind of fan, and this things can go loud!. Beyond anything I will ever set them to do. Sound deadening helps a lot too to keep it clean. Still have to sound deaden the rear doors and fine tune the DSP but the sound quality on the stealthbox is amazing.
Sounds like what I want from mine. I currently have a 10" sub in my 2004 Ram again not overpowering and just enough for me. I have yet to hear the HK system, but coming from a custom install I am thinking the HK system will be lacking. I love the fit of the JL Audio boxes as I have one in my Challenger as well. The Stealthbox seem to have the best fit of all the boxes I have looked at for the 5th gen Rams.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

RamRamBamBam

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why people are "replacing speakers" on the Harmon Kardon system?

I have a 2022 on order with the HK audio system. I thought it was supposed to be the top tier sound system.

Thanks

mike146

Reaction score
May I suggest not reading about HK sound until you get the truck and listen for yourself.

Sound, just as taste in music, is very subjective. You may think it's the best stereo around, others do not.

When you decide for yourself, you can find many many ways to improve upon what I think is a very good sound system.

Cruzer1

Reaction score
I have started to update my HK system to the same system.

-JL StealthBox with two 10" 10TW3-D8 (installed)
-JL VX1000/1i (installed)
-JL DRC-205 Remote knob (installed knob is this picture)
-JL VXi-BTC

I just received the AmpPRO AP4-CH41 (R.2) this morning. Looking at the AmpPRO harness, I don't see where to install it. Did I get the wrong AmpPRO? I have a 2022 Ram Limited with the HK 12" display. Pictured is my AmpPRO harness. I appreciate any responses. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2082.jpg
    IMG_2082.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2083.jpg
    IMG_2083.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 43

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have started to update my HK system to the same system.

-JL StealthBox with two 10" 10TW3-D8 (installed)
-JL VX1000/1i (installed)
-JL DRC-205 Remote knob (installed knob is this picture)
-JL VXi-BTC

I just received the AmpPRO AP4-CH41 (R.2) this morning. Looking at the AmpPRO harness, I don't see where to install it. Did I get the wrong AmpPRO? I have a 2022 Ram Limited with the HK 12" display. Pictured is my AmpPRO harness. I appreciate any responses. Thanks

Cruzer1

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick photos. Looks like my 12" display is different than the 8.4" models. I had a 2014 Ram with the 8.4" model years ago, it looks like the 2019-2020 video.
I snapped a few pictures included below. I wonder if anyone else has a different model for the AmpPRO?

It's back to the drawing board for me. Maybe Ram changed the AmpPRO radio model for 2022.

Attachments

• IMG_2072.jpg
    IMG_2072.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2071.jpg
    IMG_2071.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2067.jpg
    IMG_2067.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 42

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why people are "replacing speakers" on the Harmon Kardon system?

I have a 2022 on order with the HK audio system. I thought it was supposed to be the top tier sound system.

Thanks
Is it going to sound like a well put together aftermarket system pushed by 1000+ watts? Of course not. Is it good? Yeah it's pretty good. A lot of people say it's bass heavy, but I was used to 3 subs in my Titan. I think the HK system sounds good overall, I just want more thump. Putting the sub on the back wall takes away some of that "seat shaking" bass you can get from floor mounted subs.

Remember. It's marketed as Harmon Kardon, but it's "designed" by HK. Produced by Ram, and the speakers are CHEAP. Simple speaker upgrades of the same resistance will make it sound night and day different. For reference, I replaced the dash speakers with Kicker CSC35's. Here's a comparison between the two.
1654545274395.png

Pompito

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick photos. Looks like my 12" display is different than the 8.4" models. I had a 2014 Ram with the 8.4" model years ago, it looks like the 2019-2020 video.
I snapped a few pictures included below. I wonder if anyone else has a different model for the AmpPRO?

It's back to the drawing board for me. Maybe Ram changed the AmpPRO radio model for 2022.
I believe there is a write up on the forum on how to use the AmpPro on the 2022. Maybe even a video.

Last edited:

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it going to sound like a well put together aftermarket system pushed by 1000+ watts? Of course not. Is it good? Yeah it's pretty good. A lot of people say it's bass heavy, but I was used to 3 subs in my Titan. I think the HK system sounds good overall, I just want more thump. Putting the sub on the back wall takes away some of that "seat shaking" bass you can get from floor mounted subs.

Remember. It's marketed as Harmon Kardon, but it's "designed" by HK. Produced by Ram, and the speakers are CHEAP. Simple speaker upgrades of the same resistance will make it sound night and day different. For reference, I replaced the dash speakers with Kicker CSC35's. Here's a comparison between the two.
View attachment 131460

Attachments

• 20210330_135946.jpg
    20210330_135946.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 55

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/