5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel black steel bumpers and wax?

rubiRI77

Reaction score
Hello,
Anyone have any experience getting the black textured bumpers on our rebels back to new looking after waxing them?
So I was waxing my pretty new rebel. Tried a test spot on the textured steel bumpers. It looked great. So I waxed them like normal. They looked great for about a month or so, but now they are looking pretty chalky. Need to get the wax residue off.
Any suggestions? Just noticed today in the direct sunlight so have not actually tried anything yet.
Thanks in advance!

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can try Dawn or Sunlight dish detergent on them , just don’t get it on the painted parts because it should strip the wax off .

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yup, use dish washing deterrent to get the wax off them.

Don't use traditional wax on the crinkle covered surfaces, use a quick wax detailer. I'm a huge fan of Turtle Wax's Hybrid Ceramic spray wax. Works great all all surfaces, paint, chrome, plastic, headlights, windows, rubber moldings, etc. Leaves a high gloss on the paint and a light shine on rubber and plastic trim. Looks great on the crinkle bumpers and won't paste over time.

Also, when I say glass, I mean glass. Sprayed it on my windshield, use a microfiber to polish/dry & leaves no smudges, super clear. And when my windscreen gets a layer of dust over time, instead of spraying water (which makes a mess on the rest of the truck), the wind from driving literally blows away the dust.

Zeeya

Reaction score

Don't use traditional wax on the crinkle covered surfaces, use a quick wax detailer. I'm a huge fan of Turtle Wax's Hybrid Ceramic spray wax. Works great all all surfaces, paint, chrome, plastic, headlights, windows, rubber moldings, etc. Leaves a high gloss on the paint and a light shine on rubber and plastic trim. Looks great on the crinkle bumpers and won't paste over time.

Also, when I say glass, I mean glass. Sprayed it on my windshield, use a microfiber to polish/dry & leaves no smudges, super clear. And when my windscreen gets a layer of dust over time, instead of spraying water (which makes a mess on the rest of the truck), the wind from driving literally blows away the dust.
I use the same on the front of Rebel. The first wash or two the bugs come off very easy. Then I have to reapply it. Works great and as he mentioned, no chalky residue

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I use the same on the front of Rebel. The first wash or two the bugs come off very easy. Then I have to reapply it. Works great and as he mentioned, no chalky residue

It's great stuff, it saved me so much time and effort on the truck. Before I would use a spray wax on the paint, something else on the plastic fenders and trim, and then another on rubber trim. Now I use the same simply spray on all of it and it works better than the other single products. No more worries about getting plastic/rubber trim on the paint, it works on all of it.

Only thing you can't use it on soft convertible tops or fabric.

Fatherof3

Reaction score

How long does it last ? I’m asking because for 6 months of the year I’m lucky to even be able to wash the truck let alone wax it .

SD Rebel

Reaction score
How long does it last ? I’m asking because for 6 months of the year I’m lucky to even be able to wash the truck let alone wax it .

It says 6 months assuming a clean paint application (remove old wax). If you wait 24 hours and put on a second coat, it says up to 1 year.

I usually go 3 months between car washes, though the weather is mild here and the truck is garaged. But it holds up very well. Considering it takes 10 minutes to apply and wipe off my whole truck, seems like a good effort to result ratio :)

However, living in Canada with much more tough weather, I would probably go with a traditional wax / sealant application.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
How many bottles does it take per truck?

It's a spray bottle that last quite a long time. I did my whole truck exterior surfaces, all the paint, trim, glass and rubber each time, probably can do it 4 times per bottle. It's $12 at Walmart, just make sure to only use a microfiber towel for drying/buffing.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Here is what I use, there are some good videos on Youtube that review it, strong reviews on Amazon and wherever they sell it, I'm a believer now.

STR

Reaction score
As mentioned... Dawn to clean and strip, and Turtle Wax's Hybrid Ceramic spray wax (y)

rubiRI77

Reaction score
Awesome info everybody, Thanks so much! Sorry for the long delay on replying, but seriously, thanks again. I was really wondering what to try, and searching online was not really helping very much. I was beginning to think I was the only dumby that tried waxing his textured bumpers! Oops. Thanks again.(y)

Users who are viewing this thread