5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear shocks ??

Brain h

Reaction score
Hey guys..I'm having a lot of vibration issues with my 19 limited 2wd..I'm thinking to swap out the rear shocks (air suspension) but I cant find any aftermarket brands that are available...any ideas..thanks.

Jonathan19Limited

Reaction score
Hey guys..I'm having a lot of vibration issues with my 19 limited 2wd..I'm thinking to swap out the rear shocks (air suspension) but I cant find any aftermarket brands that are available...any ideas..thanks.

If you're having vibration issues, I would look at your rotating various assemblies - wheel/tire balance, brake rotors, or driveshaft before considering the shocks as the culprit.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Shocks will likely only lighten your wallet.

Consider the term the English use: dampeners. That's what they do: dampen oscillation. So if you get a lot of bounce like a 1970s Ford fullsize car, or if it feels like you're about to roll over sideways on a turn, or the truck tends to go where it wants down the road instead of where you poiint it, then maybe shocks are for you.

Otherwise I'd look for things like a wheel out of balance, or a dented driveshaft. Tire balance usually shows up in a 10 mph window, typically something really annoying, like 30-40 mpg or 58-68. A bent driveshaft will just get worse the faster you go until it shakes the fillings out of your teeth. For that matter, so will a bubble on a tire.

Brain h

Reaction score
If you're having vibration issues, I would look at your rotating various assemblies - wheel/tire balance, brake rotors, or driveshaft before considering the shocks as the culprit.
Been to the dealer 9 separate times... had the tires replaced with michelen's , road force balanced everytime..alignment. I have been told by my local tire shop that I have a warped wheel (that Chrysler refuses to recognize and refuses to replace ) but I want to change the shocks because that is the cheapest option I have right now and I at least want to eliminate them..the closest driveshaft shop to me is about 2hours away..but that is next.

Jonathan19Limited

Reaction score
Been to the dealer 9 separate times... had the tires replaced with michelen's , road force balanced everytime..alignment. I have been told by my local tire shop that I have a warped wheel (that Chrysler refuses to recognize and refuses to replace ) but I want to change the shocks because that is the cheapest option I have right now and I at least want to eliminate them..the closest driveshaft shop to me is about 2hours away..but that is next.

If you have a full-size spare, you can always swap that with the wheel you think may be bent and see if that is for sure the problem.

Brain h

Reaction score
If you have a full-size spare, you can always swap that with the wheel you think may be bent and see if that is for sure the problem.
Lol...unfortunately my vehicle is full of suprises...my spare is 18 inches and my wheels that are installed are the 22 inch..I dont really know if that makes a difference but I did just find this out just now...jesus..fiat.

Jonathan19Limited

Reaction score
Lol...unfortunately my vehicle is full of suprises...my spare is 18 inches and my wheels that are installed are the 22 inch..I dont really know if that makes a difference but I did just find this out just now...jesus..fiat.

It should be the base model wheel size (18"), no matter what size wheel option you have. That's standard practice for any automaker really. I'm just not sure what size spare tire they put on every truck since I know as part of the Off Road Group package they mention "full size spare tire" as one of the package features, so maybe the non-ORG trucks get a smaller tire? Mine is a 275/65/18 A/T tire, which matches the overall dia. of my OEM 275/55/20 tires.

kblast523

Reaction score
And he spare is a temporary unless you optioned up.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There’s not even a chance it’s the shocks, seriously, none. This will be waste of money and time.

A better question is why do they think you have a bent wheel? How much weight do you have on said wheel?

There shouldn’t be more than like 2-3 ounces on any of your wheels, Anything higher would be highly suspect to me.

Brain h

Reaction score
The wheel has been confirmed to be bent or out of round by two independent tire shops, but I've also been told that the shocks from the factory in the past were the wrong length and not up to par with the weight of the trucks..
There’s not even a chance it’s the shocks, seriously, none. This will be waste of money and time.

A better question is why do they think you have a bent wheel? How much weight do you have on said wheel?

There shouldn’t be more than like 2-3 ounces on any of your wheels, Anything higher would be highly suspect to me.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The wheel has been confirmed to be bent or out of round by two independent tire shops, but I've also been told that the shocks from the factory in the past were the wrong length and not up to par with the weight of the trucks..

Can’t cause any vibrations, even if that’s true. It’s just not what they do, they simply handle controlling the weight transfer of the truck.

If that’s true about the wheel, I don’t understand why you haven’t replaced it. That’s the answer.

I understand they are expensive, so sell the other 3 and buy some aftermarket wheels and make a positive out of this.

Brain h

Reaction score
Can’t cause any vibrations, even if that’s true. It’s just not what they do, they simply handle controlling the weight transfer of the truck.

If that’s true about the wheel, I don’t understand why you haven’t replaced it. That’s the answer.

I understand they are expensive, so sell the other 3 and buy some aftermarket wheels and make a positive out of this.
Just waiting on my check from fca..they refused to replace the wheel even with evidence of the warp..I filed a lemon law suit and we have settled with a payout and i keep the vehicle with all warranties i pointed the issue out when the truck was purchased with 9 attempts at a fix between two dealers and a new set of tires..if a new wheel doesn't fix it I will be trading for a gmc..the customer service I received was horrible

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just waiting on my check from fca..they refused to replace the wheel even with evidence of the warp..I filed a lemon law suit and we have settled with a payout and i keep the vehicle with all warranties i pointed the issue out when the truck was purchased with 9 attempts at a fix between two dealers and a new set of tires..if a new wheel doesn't fix it I will be trading for a gmc..the customer service I received was horrible

Yea I read your other posts, That’s basically what happened with my 14 ecodiesel. Except I traded it in for what I paid minus mileage use and just bought another truck, hemi that time lol. They really try to avoid a documented lemon at all costs, which actually works out in the customers favor I think.

The truck should be fine with a new wheel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread