5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear sensors on/off while towing?

rick_od

Reaction score
I thought i read somewhere on here that when a trailer is plugged in, the rear sensors automatically know there is a trailer present and they de-activate. Yesterday i hooked up a trailer and while backing it up the sensors were screaming and the brakes applied. Easy fix by turning the rear sensors off but was i wrong in my understanding that they are automatic once the trailer is plugged in?
And, i dont have the trailer brakes/tow package but after i drove the truck about 50' the dash told me it sees the trailer and has extended the blind spot detection zone. How did this happen if i dont have the tow package?
Thanks

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I thought i read somewhere on here that when a trailer is plugged in, the rear sensors automatically know there is a trailer present and they de-activate. Yesterday i hooked up a trailer and while backing it up the sensors were screaming and the brakes applied. Easy fix by turning the rear sensors off but was i wrong in my understanding that they are automatic once the trailer is plugged in?
And, i dont have the trailer brakes/tow package but after i drove the truck about 50' the dash told me it sees the trailer and has extended the blind spot detection zone. How did this happen if i dont have the tow package?
Thanks
Mine has a switch to turn off front or rear (or both) sensors.

rick_od

Reaction score
Mine has a switch to turn off front or rear (or both) sensors.

Yes, thanks. Im aware of the dash switches. Its why i said, 'easy fix by turning the rear sensors off'. My question was pertaining to the idea that i read it was automatic when a trailer was plugged in.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Yes, thanks. Im aware of the dash switches. Its why i said, 'easy fix by turning the rear sensors off'. My question was pertaining to the idea that i read it was automatic when a trailer was plugged in.
Sorry, I didn't catch that. I've not found anything stating they disable on their own. If you do find something that states that, please cite it here. Thanks

Big BLU

Reaction score
I read or heard that also. I hooked my trailer up and did the same. First couple of times I thought it turned off automatically. But, since I ran into a wall I've had them off for over a year. Pure useless in my mind!

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks
Check out previous threads.... no they do not turn off automatically, you have to do it manually.

tobyw

Reaction score
Interesting... when I hook up my trailer the rear sensors do turn off automatically? In fact, I have to manually turn them back on when I unplug the trailer... maybe mine is wired backwards :ROFLMAO:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The big question for those who have said both.

Did you use the 7 pin plug both scenarios, or was one with the 4 pin and one with the 7 pin.

On my truck, as soon as the 7 pin is plugged in the rear sensors turn off. No experience yet with the 4 pin.

Big BLU

Reaction score
The big question for those who have said both.

Did you use the 7 pin plug both scenarios, or was one with the 4 pin and one with the 7 pin.

On my truck, as soon as the 7 pin is plugged in the rear sensors turn off. No experience yet with the 4 pin.
T
Ahhh, that's probably it then! I use my 7 pin but my trailer is 4. So, a solid 7 pin will probably do the trick! That's why I couldn't answer right away. Case solved!

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay I am officially confused. Next time I hookup my trailer I will pay more attention. If I provided erroneous information, I apologize!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you use the 4 pin, I do not believe it will turn off the sensors automatically, you would have to manually. If you use the 7 pin, it should turn them off automatically. If it doesn't I would think something is wrong.

Hope that helps and makes sense.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck definitely turns off the rear sensors automatically when I plug in my travel trailer using the 7 pin connector. Also the truck has the OEM trailer brake controller.

Users who are viewing this thread