5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Fog Lamps

jimchi

Reaction score
208px-A06_Rear_fog_light.svg.png

Rear fog lamp symbol

So I just ordered a Limited last week, and one of the mods I'm interested in is rear fog lamps. For those who don't know what rear fog lamps are, the Wikipedia page on automotive lighting has a good summary. In short, they shine at the same brightness as brake lamps, and are intended for use in low-visibility conditions to make your vehicle easier to see from the rear. I do a lot of highway driving for work, and I believe rear fog lamps improve safety during severe rain storms and heavy fog conditions.

I've done a bit of research, and it seems the engineers designed rear fogs into this vehicle (confirmed). I believe the symbol is included in the instrument cluster, and I've seen references to a "Rear Fog" setting in both AlfaOBD and TazerDT settings lists. I was able to find part numbers for the items required to do this mod, with the exception of the fog lamps themselves. These parts are listed in the following table. Since I do not have my truck yet, I have the following questions if anyone is able to help:
  1. Does the rear wiring harness included on the Limited (or any other trim) have the connectors for the factory fog lamps?
  2. Does anyone have information on the part number for the rear fog lamps, or if they will ever be manufactured?
    Answer: rnoggle provided the answer below this post. The table has been updated.
So is anyone else interested in this mod? I'm curious to hear other's thoughts regarding rear fogs. I wrote this post partially to help me keep track of the part numbers, and I will try to keep it updated when new info comes in.

ItemDiagram No.Part numberLink
Fog Lamp Bracket468342213ABMopar Parts Giant
Rear Bumper Step Pad (w/ cutouts for lamps)668342209ADMopar Parts Inc
Fog Lamp1168338769ADMopar Parts Giant
Headlamp Switch (w/ rear fog symbol)168156064ACFactory Chrysler Parts
Rear Fascia Wiring Harness2MultipleMopar Parts Giant

25734ed45e1bf63f70af28cbec6f55c6.png
cc754cdbe78e17e5c2ed76a6dc3e634a.png

Last edited:

rnoggle

Reaction score
I believe those are only included on the export model Ram. They are Red in color.

I think this is the part number 68338769AD

if you do a google image search on that number, it will bring up a couple images both in foriegn languages.

See here.

Export Ram

Also, there are a couple listings on ebay for that part number, but neither show actual pictures.

Last edited:

jimchi

Reaction score
I believe those are only included on the export model Ram. They are Red in color.

I think this is the part number 68338769AD

if you do a google image search on that number, it will bring up a couple images both in foriegn languages.

See here.

Export Ram

Also, there are a couple listings on ebay for that part number, but neither show actual pictures.
Thanks! This is very helpful - I've updated my table. I didn't realize that the module was mostly reflector, with two LEDs per lamp for the fog function. These actually stand out a bit more than I had imagined - I'll probably apply a smoke film to the lamp modules when I go through this mod.

reflex_bak.jpg
IMG_0013watermarked.jpg

Swicago

Reaction score
Here is a page to find your rear wire harness.
The trick to this site is to look at all [ ... ] entries and chose the harness that matches what you have, with [Rear Fog Lamps]
For example 68294467AD has the text Rear Fog Lamps, but only Bumper Module I is enclosed by [ ]
Same with 68294468AD it also has the text, but not in [ ] .. that one only has Bumper Module I, Parksense Ft/Rr Park Assist w/Stop, Remote Proximity Keyless Entry.
Now all the following have [Rear Fog Lamps] in their description, with the first number, being the cheapest(in case you want to cannibalize it).
68360457AD, 68360456AD, 68360451AD, 68360455AD, 68358060AD

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you check, most if not all states make it against the law to run with rear facing white lights, just as it is against the law to run with front facing red lights, for obvious reasons. Following someone, even in inclimate weather, with white lights in your eyes, might make it easier to see them, but harder to see anything else.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
208px-A06_Rear_fog_light.svg.png

Rear fog lamp symbol

So I just ordered a Limited last week, and one of the mods I'm interested in is rear fog lamps. For those who don't know what rear fog lamps are, the Wikipedia page on automotive lighting has a good summary. In short, they shine at the same brightness as brake lamps, and are intended for use in low-visibility conditions to make your vehicle easier to see from the rear. I do a lot of highway driving for work, and I believe rear fog lamps improve safety during severe rain storms and heavy fog conditions.

I've done a bit of research, and it seems the engineers designed rear fogs into this vehicle (confirmed). I believe the symbol is included in the instrument cluster, and I've seen references to a "Rear Fog" setting in both AlfaOBD and TazerDT settings lists. I was able to find part numbers for the items required to do this mod, with the exception of the fog lamps themselves. These parts are listed in the following table. Since I do not have my truck yet, I have the following questions if anyone is able to help:
  1. Does the rear wiring harness included on the Limited (or any other trim) have the connectors for the factory fog lamps?
  2. Does anyone have information on the part number for the rear fog lamps, or if they will ever be manufactured?
    Answer: rnoggle provided the answer below this post. The table has been updated.
So is anyone else interested in this mod? I'm curious to hear other's thoughts regarding rear fogs. I wrote this post partially to help me keep track of the part numbers, and I will try to keep it updated when new info comes in.

ItemDiagram No.Part numberLink
Fog Lamp Bracket468342213ABMopar Parts Giant
Rear Bumper Step Pad (w/ cutouts for lamps)668342209ADMopar Parts Inc
Fog Lamp1168338769ADMopar Parts Giant
Headlamp Switch (w/ rear fog symbol)168156064ACFactory Chrysler Parts
Rear Fascia Wiring Harness2MultipleMopar Parts Giant

25734ed45e1bf63f70af28cbec6f55c6.png
cc754cdbe78e17e5c2ed76a6dc3e634a.png
Aside from the rear facia harness, you’ll need to make sure the rear fog lamp wiring is present in the left chassis harness and the body harness on it’s way to the BCM, where the circuits originate.

jimchi

Reaction score
If you check, most if not all states make it against the law to run with rear facing white lights, just as it is against the law to run with front facing red lights, for obvious reasons. Following someone, even in inclimate weather, with white lights in your eyes, might make it easier to see them, but harder to see anything else.
I should clarify - rear fogs shine red in color at a brightness similar to brake lamps. The intent is to make it easier for a vehicle behind you to see your vehicle in low visibility conditions.

jimchi

Reaction score
Wouldnt a 60" under tailgate led strip do pretty much the same thing...
Sure, and it's a good alternative to my proposal. However, I was looking to utilize the factory wiring, lamps, and switch for a cleaner install. I've also never been a big fan of the tailgate LED strips. An LED strip would require additional wiring and an aftermarket button in the cab in order to achieve what I'm looking for.

friendshipm

Reaction score
Sure, and it's a good alternative to my proposal. However, I was looking to utilize the factory wiring, lamps, and switch for a cleaner install. I've also never been a big fan of the tailgate LED strips. An LED strip would require additional wiring and an aftermarket button in the cab in order to achieve what I'm looking for.
But it would not require additional switches. Just tap into the 4pin for power, and then use the factory fog switch to activate it on and off. It would be a very simple mod to do and wouldn't look nearly as janky as bolting on a couple bike reflectors on the back.

jimchi

Reaction score
But it would not require additional switches. Just tap into the 4pin for power, and then use the factory fog switch to activate it on and off. It would be a very simple mod to do and wouldn't look nearly as janky as bolting on a couple bike reflectors on the back.
Could you please clarify? I assume you're talking about the 4-pin trailer wiring plug, which does not contain a wire switched with the fog lamps (nor does the 7-pin).

As I said, I don't like the look of the LED strip. I'll also reiterate that, if I do this mod, I would apply a smoke film to the fog lamp modules so they would blend in with the plastic. I believe smoked modules would still output enough light to achieve my objective, while maintaining a clean aesthetic.

Last edited:

friendshipm

Reaction score
Could you please clarify? I assume you're talking about the 4-pin trailer wiring plug, which does not contain a wire switched with the fog lamps (nor does the 7-pin).

As I said, I don't like the look of the LED strip. I'll also reiterate that, if I do this mod, I would apply a smoke film to the fog lamp modules so they would blend in with the plastic. I believe smoked modules would still output enough light to achieve my objective, while maintaining a clean aesthetic.
I was referring to using the 4 or 7 pin to tap into for your power, and running a separate wire to your stock fog switch to us it as your on/off instead of installing an additional switch within the cab.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was referring to using the 4 or 7 pin to tap into for your power, and running a separate wire to your stock fog switch to us it as your on/off instead of installing an additional switch within the cab.
Can’t do that. The fog switch is a multiplex switch. It sends a message to the bcm, and the bcm energizes the rear fog lamp outputs.

friendshipm

Reaction score
Can’t do that. The fog switch is a multiplex switch. It sends a message to the bcm, and the bcm energizes the rear fog lamp outputs.
Good to know. That now answers my question as to whether I can pull the stock LED fogs and replace them with Rigid pods and tap into the stock switch.

Boston

Reaction score
So pleased that someone else is doing this.
This feature has been mandatory in Europe for decades and is a fantastic way to keep people off your tail in rain and fog.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So pleased that someone else is doing this.
This feature has been mandatory in Europe for decades and is a fantastic way to keep people off your tail in rain and fog.
Definitely. It’s something new and different (to us Americans, anyway). LED lightbars have become “ordinary”....and rather annoying seeing as they all seem to have at least 7 or 8 random individual LEDs burned out whenever I see them, making them look like crap.

Swicago

Reaction score
Have you determined yet, if the wire from BCM to rear is present? If you are lucky, it is. I would be very surprised if Mopar did not include that one wire for all vehicles.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have you determined yet, if the wire from BCM to rear is present? If you are lucky, it is. I would be very surprised if Mopar did not include that one wire for all vehicles.
Two wires, but, I highly doubt they’re there. Quickest way to find out is to unplug this connector underneath the driver seat floorboard, and see if there are terminals on both halves of the connector in positions 1 & 2. Even if they’re not there, they would be very easy to add to those connectors from the BCM to the rear facia connector.
SEFcYnC.jpg
KwS9f6U.jpg
3AL9EZC.jpg

jimchi

Reaction score
Two wires, but, I highly doubt they’re there. Quickest way to find out is to unplug this connector underneath the driver seat floorboard, and see if there are terminals on both halves of the connector in positions 1 & 2. Even if they’re not there, they would be very easy to add to those connectors from the BCM to the rear facia connector.
Is the connector in your picture for the "Left Chassis Wiring" harness (no. 3 in this diagram)? If so, it doesn't look like there are different part numbers for with or without rear fog lamps. I ordered a Limited about two weeks ago now, so here's hoping that the conductors are present when I take delivery and have a look.

As for the connector diagrams and pinouts, are those from the "Wiring Information" software from techauthority.com?

Users who are viewing this thread