5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear door locks

Ickabod

Reaction score
Quick question my friends....
When the rear doors are locked, can the doors be opened from the inside? This is irregardless of the child safety locks. Can someone confirm?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Quick question my friends....
When the rear doors are locked, can the doors be opened from the inside? This is irregardless of the child safety locks. Can someone confirm?

Yes. I just tested this on mine. Of course, there is no electric door lock-unlock button on the rear doors. To unlock the rear door, just pull up on the door lock plunger. This is why they are much longer than the front doors and why they protrude above the door panel..

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 003339 miles.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
In my truck the rear locks will not unlock until I open the drivers door or unlock them with the button

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
In my truck the rear locks will not unlock until I open the drivers door or unlock them with the button
Correct. I wish this was configurable. so that instead of driver and passenger doors unlock, all doors unlock. Pretty annoying. The knobs can be kind of stiff and sometimes my kids have a hard time unlocking the doors, so another step for me to do it on my end. Unnecessary.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct. I wish this was configurable. so that instead of driver and passenger doors unlock, all doors unlock. Pretty annoying. The knobs can be kind of stiff and sometimes my kids have a hard time unlocking the doors, so another step for me to do it on my end. Unnecessary.

I believe this is configurable in the Uconnect menu, at least it is on mine. I have it set to unlock all doors.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 003351 miles.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I believe this is configurable in the Uconnect menu, at least it is on mine. I have it set to unlock all doors.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 003351 miles.

Unless yours just got updated, then no, it only unlocks the front doors, not the rears. Those you have to do by pulling the knob or unlocking from driver's side door.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Unless yours just got updated, then no, it only unlocks the front doors, not the rears. Those you have to do by pulling the knob or unlocking from driver's side door.
Hey @Neurobit is that what yours does, unlocks fronts only? The manual says all doors should be unlocking if you have uconnect Auto-unlock turned on.

Also nice to know Auto Door Locks can be turned off, since my kids are older now, and I don’t like making my passengers feel like prisoners.

C839596D-9DBF-4B07-9B5C-4882DD109551.jpeg

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Tested it today.

Unlock all doors selected in UConnect menu.

Vehicle off - Drivers seat occupied. Drivers door lock control locks all doors. Drivers door lock control unlocks all doors.

Vehicle engine running - Drivers door lock control locks all doors. Drivers door lock control unlocks all doors.

I would suggest checking the menu selection for doors.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 003418 miles.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Tested it today.

Unlock all doors selected in UConnect menu.

Vehicle off - Drivers seat occupied. Drivers door lock control locks all doors. Drivers door lock control unlocks all doors.

Vehicle engine running - Drivers door lock control locks all doors. Drivers door lock control unlocks all doors.

I would suggest checking the menu selection for doors.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 003418 miles.

Rusty,

I am aware of this, but what I am talking about is rear passengers able to unlock doors when operating the door handle just like front passengers are able to.
When I drop my kids at school daily, I shouldn't have to operate a switch or put the care in Park and open a door for the rear doors to unlock, which is the way these truck are set up now.

If front passenger wants to exit, all they do is open the door, and the door unlocks when you pull on the handle, just like the driver's side. For rear doors, I have to manually unlock, or open the door (or rear passengers have to pull on the knob, which is pretty stiff for smaller hands, elderly, etc.

Granted, if I stopped the engine and open my door (but I have to be first), then yes, doors unlock. That's not enough, and it should be a simple program change to give us different options in UConnect since it's all software driven.

Cheers,
Neurobit

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Rusty,

I am aware of this, but what I am talking about is rear passengers able to unlock doors when operating the door handle just like front passengers are able to.
When I drop my kids at school daily, I shouldn't have to operate a switch or put the care in Park and open a door for the rear doors to unlock, which is the way these truck are set up now.

If front passenger wants to exit, all they do is open the door, and the door unlocks when you pull on the handle, just like the driver's side. For rear doors, I have to manually unlock, or open the door (or rear passengers have to pull on the knob, which is pretty stiff for smaller hands, elderly, etc.

Granted, if I stopped the engine and open my door (but I have to be first), then yes, doors unlock. That's not enough, and it should be a simple program change to give us different options in UConnect since it's all software driven.

Cheers,
Neurobit
Interesting...you can't open the rear doors while the truck is running? And the Child-Protection Door Lock system has been disabled (pg. 42 of the manual)?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Interesting...you can't open the rear doors while the truck is running? And the Child-Protection Door Lock system has been disabled (pg. 42 of the manual)?
Correct. It has nothing to do with child locks, which would not open the doors regardless of lock/unlock (and first thing I checked just to be sure).
This happens whether the truck is running or not.

Cheers,

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Slightly related question, do all your locks look like this when locked, with the front door flat/flush and the rear doors raised up? I guess because the rear passengers have to grab onto it, but the front don’t have to and can just pull the handle?

BFB76ECF-A3B3-4556-80EF-A5AF2D6ECCC7.jpeg 59B10402-1892-432C-8CF2-5896C7D7582A.jpeg

knorrg

Reaction score
I’m having this same issue. Back doors do not lock until I unlock from master switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/