5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REAR DASHCAM / DASH CAM INSTALLATION L- (also Rambox inserts) - Rambox Inserts Completed Dec. 1 2018

Marusho

Reaction score
December 1, 2018: In this older post I mentioned that I am working on patterns for Rambox horizontal inserts. I have finished that project and the files are found in a new post at
https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...terns-instructions-photos-download-here.4250/

I have a Longhorn crew cab with sliding rear window and USB outlets at the rear of the center console. If your truck is different you may not be able to use my technique for mounting a dashcam on the rear window.

It is not possible to mount directly to the rear window with either a suction cup or adhesive, without damaging the plastic sheet with embedded defrost wires. My solution allowed me to mount a camera using the plastic upper window channel, without altering it or harming it. I was also able to hide the wiring with no effort, by running it behind the rear seat and under the floor mat. There is one problem with the install which I'll explain later, and perhaps someone can help me solve that. (NOTE: Solved problem myself - keep reading).

Referring to the photo far below showing the front, side and rear of the camera and mounting bracket.

The camera is an "Original Dashcam Company" model K9 (aka 4SK-9S) for which I paid $15 new and postpaid from B&H Photo in NYC, on sale. It can be had for $25 any time. It's a low-end camera but competent and very well thought out, with almost-intuitive setup and operation. It's nominally 1080p, but then no consumer camera is truly 1080p. It records at 204mB per minute, so a 32gb micro SD card will record for about 2.5 hours. It loops using your choice of clip size from 1-10 minutes. But this isn't a review of the camera.

The top of the camera has a T-shaped slot into which their proprietary mount fits. Instead I placed a 3 X 25mm screw in this slot with the head down. I attached washers and nuts to build a secure attachment to the camera and to an L-shaped bracket.

The guts of this arrangement is a piece of acrylic sheet which had been folded over to form a card holder for a store display. I had bought an assortment of Plexiglas scraps many years ago and this piece finally found a use.

The two sides of the plastic card holder grip pretty tightly, but not well enough to remain clamped on the window channel. I connected the L-bracket holding the camera to the holder using a 1/4" bolt and wing nut, which serves double duty as a clamping mechanism. To remove the entire unit you simply back off the wingnut a few turns and pull.

You could substitute two sheets of your choice of material, and get the same gripping action, but it wouldn't be as elegant.

With the headrest folded down, all controls and ports are accessible, and it is easy enough to change the menus while sitting on the back seat, so there's no real need to ever remove the thing.

With my setup there is 3/4" between the holder and the glass, and the camera lens housing rests against the glass, preventing it from changing direction. I have also positioned the lens such that it is between two defrost wires.

The resulting view is exactly what I want, with only a small part of the tailgate shown and a bias towards the passenger side of the truck.

The holder is 1 5/8" from the center pane. This is necessary because there is a mechanism inside the channel. When opened, the window mores to the driver's side, so the camera can't be mounted on the driver's side. Even though it blocks the rear view a little, I doubt that anyone would care.

Because of the dark windows, the camera is almost impossible to see. Of course the tint means that the exposure is not ideal.

Wiring: I can't stand the look of dashcam wiring, which is why I decided to install the rear camera first and to continue ruminating about how to install the front camera (a Viofo A119, similar to the 2-camera model ExcursionDiesel is using below). My model does have a 12V outlet on the top of the dash, below the mirror, but I am not impressed. When will manufacturers realize that people need an outlet at the top of the windshield?? For that matter, when will they stop putting us through the inconvenience of installing aftermarket contraptions when, as they used to say on the program, "The Six Million Dollar Man", "we have the technology".

Back to wiring up the rear camera: The 4 rear USB outlets are live at all times, which is not good news for a dashcam. Further, there is no 12V outlet in the rear. I am convinced that there is no way to set these outlets to come on with the ignition, so if using one of them for the rear dashcam (we need a new word, like "buttcam", when used facing rearward) you'd have to remember to unplug it. This is of course, unacceptable.

I discovered that of the 9 USB ports, there is one and only one which is controlled by the ignition. The charge-only port at the rear of the upper compartment of the center console is thus controlled. This compartment is meant to hold a tablet. The compartment even has a notch for wiring to exit, at the front, so no need for me to pinch the cable to my buttcam. I suspect that the 10' USB extension cable which I will receive in a few days, will be the ideal length. I'll submit one final edit to this post when I determine the answer to that question.

Running the wiring is simple. It drops straight down from the camera, behind the RH passenger seat, then runs across the floor and under the folding storage gizmo. Then it runs under the floor mat, up the passenger side of the console, in through the handy wire slot to the afore-mentioned switched USB outlet. Unless you are the princess from "The Princess and the Pea" you cannot feel the wire beneath the floor mat/carpet.

K9-DASHCAM-MOUNTED.jpg K9-DASHCAM-IN-USE1.jpg K9-DASHCAM-IN-USE2.jpg But wait, there's more!

I have actually started fabricating Rambox inserts, since Mopar has dropped the ball. I've completed only one of the 4 all-different horizontal inserts, but am planning to publish the patterns, photos and notes right here if I finish the project. If interested, please encourage me.

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Longhorn crew cab with sliding rear window and USB outlets at the rear of the center console. If your truck is different you may not be able to use my technique for mounting a dashcam on the rear window.

It is not possible to mount directly to the rear window with either a suction cup or adhesive, without damaging the plastic sheet with embedded defrost wires. My solution allowed me to mount a camera using the plastic upper window channel, without altering it or harming it. I was also able to hide the wiring with no effort, by running it behind the rear seat and under the floor mat. There is one problem with the install which I'll explain later, and perhaps someone can help me solve that.

Referring to the photo far below showing the front, side and rear of the camera and mounting bracket.

The camera is an "Original Dashcam Company" model K9 (aka 4SK-9S) for which I paid $15 new and postpaid from B&H Photo in NYC, on sale. It can be had for $25 any time. It's a low-end camera but competent and very well thought out, with almost-intuitive setup and operation. It's nominally 1080p, but then no consumer camera is truly 1080p. It records at 204mB per minute, so a 32gb micro SD card will record for about 2.5 hours. It loops using your choice of clip size from 1-10 minutes. But this isn't a review of the camera.

The top of the camera has a T-shaped slot into which their proprietary mount fits. Instead I placed a 3 X 25mm screw in this slot with the head down. I attached washers and nuts to build a secure attachment to the camera and to an L-shaped bracket.

The guts of this arrangement is a piece of acrylic sheet which had been folded over to form a card holder for a store display. I had bought an assortment of Plexiglas scraps many years ago and this piece finally found a use.

The two sides of the plastic card holder grip pretty tightly, but not well enough to remain clamped on the window channel. I connected the L-bracket holding the camera to the holder using a 1/2" bolt and wing nut, which serves double duty as a clamping mechanism. To remove the entire unit you simply back off the wingnut a few turns and pull.

You could substitute two sheets of your choice of material, and get the same gripping action, but it wouldn't be as elegant.

The SD card and micro-USB port are on the accessible side, and it is easy enough to change the menus while sitting on the back seat, so there's no real need to ever remove the thing.

With my setup there is 3/4" between the holder and the glass, and the camera lens housing rests against the glass, preventing it from changing direction. I have also positioned the lens such that it is between two defrost wires.

The resulting view is exactly what I want, with only a small part of the tailgate shown and a bias towards the passenger side of the truck. If you wanted to bring the horizon down to the center of the image this could easily be done by inserting a spacer behind the L bracket, at the bottom. This would remove some of the sky and produce a better exposure, but would include more of your tailgate.

Notice that the holder is 1 5/8" from the center pane. This is necessary because there is a mechanism inside the channel. When opened, the window mores to the driver's side, so the camera can't be mounted on the driver's side. Even though it blocks the rear view a little, I doubt that anyone would care.

Because of the dark windows, the camera is almost impossible to see. Of course the tint means that the exposure is not ideal.

Wiring: I can't stand the look of dashcam wiring, which is why I decided to install the rear camera first and to continue ruminating about how to install the front camera. My model does have a 12V outlet on the top of the dash, below the mirror, but I am not impressed. When will manufacturers realize that people need an outlet at the top of the windwhield?? For that matter, when will they stop putting us through the inconvenience of installing aftermarket contraptions when, as they used to say on the program, "The Six Million Dollar Man", "we have the technology".

Back to wiring up the rear camera: The 4 rear USB outlets are live at all times, which is not good news for a dashcam. Further, there is no 12V outlet in the rear. I am convinced that there is no way to set these outlets to come on with the ignition, so if using one of them for the rear dashcam (we need a new word, like "buttcam", when used facing rearward), you will have to remember to plug and unplug the camera. This is of course, unacceptable.

The only solution, and it's not very good, that I could come up with involves using a USB manual AB switch, which I ordered from China for $2.15. When it arrives I will fix it with some double-sided tape to an unobtrusive but accessible spot on the rear of the console. When my 1-foot USB cable arrives from China ($.76) I will plug that into the hub and the switch. You need 8' of cable to reach the buttcam but there is no such thing, so I ordered a 10' extension cable (male-female) for $3.99 from NY. At the camera end I will connect this cable to the included short micro USB cable. Whenever the camera is removed the short cable will go with it and the rest of the wiring will stay in place.

Running the wiring is simple. It drops straight down from the camera, behind the RH passenger seat, then runs across the floor and under the folding storage gizmo. Then it runs under the floor mat to the USB switch mounted on the rear of the console. Unless you are the character from "The Princess and the Pea" you cannot feel the wire.

How will I remember to turn the unit on and off? I'm thinking of having a cup in the console where I will place my keys which will have a lid with the words, "DON'T FORGET THE BUTTCAM!" But I'm open to a better suggestion.

View attachment 7559 View attachment 7560 View attachment 7561 But wait, there's more!

I have actually started fabricating Rambox inserts, since Mopar has dropped the ball. I've completed only one of the 4 all-different horizontal inserts, but am planning to publish the patterns, photos and notes right here if I finish the project. If interested, please encourage me.

Definitely interested in the RamBox divider diagrams. Also looking into making my own RamBox holster.

Marusho

Reaction score
Definitely interested in the RamBox divider diagrams. Also looking into making my own RamBox holster.
I have made the RH rear shelf. I probably won't be doing dividers as I personally only wanted a flat surface on which to lay long objects. I see that Mopar has released a set of 3 vertical dividers for a very high price. Since they are all the same, and yet the areas where they are placed are all different profiles, I think the design is awful. Somebody should work out the profiles for all 6 dividers. With them in place the user would have an idea how much space was usable and where the lock mechanisms were going to crush the contents (if you get my drift). When I do release my drawings they will be printed out on several sheets of letter-size paper, joined, taped to the material and cut through with the jigsaw or bandsaw. No need to trace a pattern. Stay tuned.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Cut my own rambox dividers out of wood and painted them the night I brought the truck home. Mopar wanted $99 PERSIDE for 3 flimsy plastic dividers.... IMG_20181104_165451219.jpg

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm doing a Dual Cam install. I am using the excellent Viofo A129 which has front and rear 1080p cameras with parking mode. The rear camera is small and uses a thick USB cable for power and signal back to the front unit. I don't have a good strategy for that routing yet. I hope I can tuck it in the headliner from front to back but it's not looking easy at this point.

The A129 has a parking mode and I'll be hardwiring it so it runs in motion detection mode while parked.

TurdFerguson

Reaction score
Cables front to back were easy for me. Power was my bigger problem. I ended up splicing into the wires for the 12v outlet on the center console. from there I just fished it behind the glove box and ran it behind trim up to the camera. From the front to the back is a pretty substantial coax cable. I just tucked it behind trim so it is 100% invisible. Careful with any slack.. tuck it behind the front pillar. If you tuck it down behind the trim next to the seats it could be debris in the case of an airbag deployment.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cables front to back were easy for me. Power was my bigger problem. I ended up splicing into the wires for the 12v outlet on the center console. from there I just fished it behind the glove box and ran it behind trim up to the camera. From the front to the back is a pretty substantial coax cable. I just tucked it behind trim so it is 100% invisible. Careful with any slack.. tuck it behind the front pillar. If you tuck it down behind the trim next to the seats it could be debris in the case of an airbag deployment.
Thanks. Yes, the USB cable is basically a coax signal with extra power wires. It's thick and doesn't bend easily. I've read that tight radius bends can damage it. I plan to make an aluminum bracket to hold the rear camera just below the upper trim on the sliding back glass. I don't see an obvious route from the rear headliner to the pod behind the front mirror where the front camera is.. My front cam is wedge shaped and flush mounts to the windshield with 3M tape just down from edge of the headliner and left of the rearview mirror pod.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I figured it out. Suprisingly, the rubber trim around the upper door windows will hide the coax cable without bulging. It took all of 5 minutes.

Marusho

Reaction score
PROGRESS REPORT ON HORIZONTAL RAMBOX INSERTS - SEE FINISHED PRODUCT IN LAST PHOTO

I haven't forgotten about this project. (See my post at the beginning of this thread). I've now completed the two passenger side shelves. All 4 are different. I have full-size computer drawings for these two and will do the same for the driver's side. I used two sheets of painted masonite, laminated with contact cement for strength. Got these in the scrap pile at Ikea. They were meant as bottoms in big blueprint/artwork drawers. I have not measured the thickness or the ideal thickness, but will do so. The project is going slowly because it is getting more involved. I decided to install a fire extinguisher on each side (1A10BC). Note the Kaizen Foam (sold by Rockler) block which secures the extinguisher. (This is a wonderful product meant for custom fitting guns and tools). I've also purchased an excellent and cheap diamond plate design 1/4" thick "anti-fatigue mat" from Northern Tools, with which I lined the bottom of the Ramboxes and cover the shelves, to deaden any rattles. I will publish the 4 drawings when this is completed on both sides. I have photographed every step and will document everything as I have the time. RAMBOX-SHELF-POST-01.JPG RAMBOX-SHELF-POST-02.JPG RAMBOX-SHELF-POST-03.JPG RAMBOX-SHELF-POST-04.JPG
I have ordered a 25mm hole punch from China (ebay $2.36), which I will use to make a clean hole in the foam covering where the finger hole is above, but am not including a finger hole on the front insert, since it's not needed. RAMBOX-SHELF-COMPLETE-PASSENGER-SIDE.JPG

Last edited:

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cut my own rambox dividers out of wood and painted them the night I brought the truck home. Mopar wanted $99 PERSIDE for 3 flimsy plastic dividers.... View attachment 7587
I've seen another post on making the vertical inserts. I like how you have them all cut with the curve. Straight cornered edges on the outer two would not do that much or hold anything more really. This looks great! They are both great!

Larry J.

Reaction score
Thanks for the template. I started working on my own with 3/8 plywood but this helps tremendously. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20191019_173038.jpg
    20191019_173038.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20191019_172820.jpg
    20191019_172820.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20191019_172814.jpg
    20191019_172814.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 57

Users who are viewing this thread