5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Center Window Defroster..

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rear center Window Slider Defroster is not working on my 2020 Rebel.. Can anyone help me with this?..
Is there a connection I can look into?..
Does the center slider have its own defrost connection besides the 2 rear side windows?
Can anyone can point me in the right direction where to start looking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomasp4920

Reaction score
The wiring diagram shows just the 2 connectors. The center glass is connected to the circuit via two wires. Look at the lower right corner of the glass and you will see the wires. Possibly broken wire(s).

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Also check to make sure it is completely closed or it won't work.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just took a look at it.. Does anyone know what this black rubber piece is? Bottom right corner of the slider? There is a wire coming from it
It almost looks like a bump stop?

Thomasp4920

Reaction score
I just took a look at it.. Does anyone know what this black rubber piece is? Bottom right corner of the slider? There is a wire coming from it
It almost looks like a bump stop?

Connection to the heating grid for the center glass.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Connection to the heating grid for the center glass.

Ok so is that piece movable at all?.. because I can almost pull it off if I wanted to. Is that normal?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You have a warranty, take it to dealer and get it fixed.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have a warranty, take it to dealer and get it fixed.

Pain in the *** is the dealership. Prob will get an appointment in 2 months. The truck will sit there for a week before they even look at it.. then another week to fix.
I’d rather do it myself if I can.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pain in the *** is the dealership. Prob will get an appointment in 2 months. The truck will sit there for a week before they even look at it.. then another week to fix.
I’d rather do it myself if I can.

that's how I feel. If something is cheap enough, I will replace and do it myself. I only will go to the dealer when something is rather expensive, or I really have too.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
that's how I feel. If something is cheap enough, I will replace and do it myself. I only will go to the dealer when something is rather expensive, or I really have too.
You do realize going to dealer with issues is how recalls and TSBs become a thing.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You do realize going to dealer with issues is how recalls and TSBs become a thing.
About a month after I bought my truck, the right front window trim came loose. Cost me $20 and 10 minutes of my time to replace it. You really think I’m gonna spend over an hour taking my truck to the dealer to leave it there for a week for them to replace a $20 part? I could care less what becomes a recall or what becomes a bulletin, i’m more concerned with my time

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
About a month after I bought my truck, the right front window trim came loose. Cost me $20 and 10 minutes of my time to replace it. You really think I’m gonna spend over an hour taking my truck to the dealer to leave it there for a week for them to replace a $20 part? I could care less what becomes a recall or what becomes a bulletin, i’m more concerned with my time
Really depends on what it is. Something simple like that, sure. Something like the OP has going on could be a bigger issue, that may require a whole new rear window to fix. But if he piddles around trying to "fix" it himself it may effect whether the dealer will warranty or not. If they can see someone else messed with it, they could say he caused the issue

Jp306

Reaction score
Not meaning to resurrect the thread, but thought this could help someone down the line. Found my sliding window element was not working today and quickly figured out why. The black rubber piece referenced in post #4 (connection for the heating grid) had ripped off. What remained on the glass looked like 2 snap buttons like on a jacket.

The connection was dangling behind the driver rear passenger headrest. The webbing tether for securing a child seat located behind that head rest was in the perfect position to snare the connection as the window slid open, and pried it off.

I was able to push the connection back on the slider and recreate the snare first try. I shoved the webbing down behind the seat using a trim tool so it will be out of the way now.

Hope this helps someone down the line.

Attachments

• Connection.jpg
    Connection.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Wire in track.jpg
    Wire in track.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Webbing.JPG
    Webbing.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Problem.JPG
    Problem.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 100

Zacritz929

Reaction score
The wiring diagram shows just the 2 connectors. The center glass is connected to the circuit via two wires. Look at the lower right corner of the glass and you will see the wires. Possibly broken wire(s).

Any chance you can post the wiring diagram for the rear defroster system?

Geddyflea

Reaction score
Mine did the exact same thing in April 2022. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the entire rear window assembly under warranty. Hopefully I escaped the cracked rear window for a while. 20220423_090445.jpg 20220423_090443.jpg

Zacritz929

Reaction score
Mine did the exact same thing in April 2022. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the entire rear window assembly under warranty. Hopefully I escaped the cracked rear window for a while. View attachment 148567 View attachment 148568
I wonder why they replaced the whole window.. Unfortunately for me, my defroster stopped working after the warranty expired and all connections are in place

Geddyflea

Reaction score
I wonder why they replaced the whole window.. Unfortunately for me, my defroster stopped working after the warranty expired and all connections are in place
The dealer told me the connection can't be repaired, but Jp306 proved that wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread