5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Cabin Rattle/Tick over bumps

maddog49

Reaction score
So I've been chasing small rattles and ticks in my Limited. Yes, it's aggravating to have a 68k vehicle with these noises. Here is the one thats bugging me the most:
Driving on mildly bumpy roads it sounds like a brief tick from the rear passenger seat area when going over bumps. Its not all the time but sounds like plastic bumping plastic. It has a tick noise to it. Kind of like what the headliner clips sounded like when they rattled but louder.

What I've tried so far:
Take everything out of the truck
1 - Sunroof Velcro Clips. Pulled the headliner down...did not remove...slid the clips out of the headliner, padded the back...reinserted. Thought this would be it but it was not.
2 - Folded rear seats forward. Unbolted Subwoofer...did not remove...padded behind mounting points, tightened back down
3 - While seat was folded forward...found loose module at the floor beneath center console against cab wall. Double sided taped it
4 - Rear window rattled...was wire inside the channel on passenger side vibrating...ran foam strip in middle. Also put foam in between window to stop the rattle. It seems solid when tapped on.
5). Took down passenger ceiling speaker. It squeaks when pushed on so I added various foam to quiet it down. It does not sound the same as the squeak im hearing however the drivers side is competely quiet even when pushed on.
6). shoved a towel against plastic area by seatbelt and inbetween edge of seat. That area seems rattly but it made no difference.

What else could be causing this tick? In an otherwise quiet truck its driving me crazy (heard the noise since brand new). Dealer was not super helpful and does not seem experienced in working this type of problem. I'll try and post a video if that would be helpful.

drumexpert

Reaction score
So I've been chasing small rattles and ticks in my Limited. Yes, it's aggravating to have a 68k vehicle with these noises. Here is the one thats bugging me the most:
Driving on mildly bumpy roads it sounds like a brief tick from the rear passenger seat area when going over bumps. Its not all the time but sounds like plastic bumping plastic. It has a tick noise to it. Kind of like what the headliner clips sounded like when they rattled but louder.

What I've tried so far:
1 - Sunroof Velcro Clips. Pulled the headliner down...did not remove...slid the clips out of the headliner, padded the back...reinserted. Thought this would be it but it was not.
2 - Folded rear seats forward. Unbolted Subwoofer...did not remove...padded behind mounting points, tightened back down
3 - While seat was folded forward...found loose module at the floor beneath center console against cab wall. Double sided taped it
4 - Rear window rattled...was wire inside the channel on passenger side vibrating...ran foam strip in middle. Also put foam in between window to stop the rattle. It seems solid when tapped on.
5). Took down passenger ceiling speaker. It squeaks when pushed on so I added various foam to quiet it down. It does not sound the same as the squeak im hearing however the drivers side is competely quiet even when pushed on.
6). shoved a towel against plastic area by seatbelt and inbetween edge of seat. That area seems rattly but it made no difference.

What else could be causing this tick? In an otherwise quiet truck its driving me crazy (heard the noise since brand new). Dealer was not super helpful and does not seem experienced in working this type of problem. I'll try and post a video if that would be helpful.
Do you have any updates on this? Now that my truck as close to 10K miles, these small rattles you describe is exactly what I hear. I have not been able to isolate the plastic ticking sound I hear intermittently. Seems more predominant on cooler days.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

What I've tried so far:

Try here and look at item #3. Mine was loose and I believe it can be gotten to from under the rear seat and pulling the carpet fwd instead of removing everything.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
did you check the RF Hub module behind rear seat? It's center on the rear wall, low near.
Its attached with like 1 loose fitting clip. Mine rattled. I used double stick tape behind it.

drumexpert

Reaction score
Try here and look at item #3. Mine was loose and I believe it can be gotten to from under the rear seat and pulling the carpet fwd instead of removing everything.

I checked the RF Hub under the rear seat and it was definitely loose. I taped it down. However, after driving to work this morning, I realized it's coming from the headliner. I can push up on the headliner and replicate the ticking sound I hear. I have the panoramic sunroof. Now to figure out how to put some felt tape or replace the loose clip(s).

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I checked the RF Hub under the rear seat and it was definitely loose. I taped it down. However, after driving to work this morning, I realized it's coming from the headliner. I can push up on the headliner and replicate the ticking sound I hear. I have the panoramic sunroof. Now to figure out how to put some felt tape or replace the loose clip(s).

I've been fiddling with my panoramic truck headliner making noise as well. Glad I could point you to the rf hub at least!

M truck is an sept. 18 built. Had it about a year. what's yours? my truck came with some of the velcro headliner fasteners removed, and replaced with double stick foam-block, on the passenger side. When the shade back and glass open, you can see in between, and see the foam blocks, and the slots where the Velcro was suppose to be.
I get some noise in mine still as well I haven't been able to pinpoint.

drumexpert

Reaction score
I've been fiddling with my panoramic truck headliner making noise as well. Glad I could point you to the rf hub at least!

M truck is an sept. 18 built. Had it about a year. what's yours? my truck came with some of the velcro headliner fasteners removed, and replaced with double stick foam-block, on the passenger side. When the shade back and glass open, you can see in between, and see the foam blocks, and the slots where the Velcro was suppose to be.
I get some noise in mine still as well I haven't been able to pinpoint.
Yes, thanks for pointing that out! My truck is an Oct. 18 built. The clicking noise just started a few days ago, not sure if the relative temperature drop affected anything. I'll give the flock tape fix mentioned in the "Panoramic Sunroof Headliner Noise" tread a try this afternoon and see if it solves the issue.
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/panoramic-sunroof-headliner-noise.3748/page-4

maddog49

Reaction score
Yes I managed to fix mine finally and the silence is glorious. I did all the clips with felt and then still had a even lighter clicking noise in front and rear. I took down the rear speakers and review them and nothing to do. I believe the edge of the headliner is tapping against the ceiling but could not confirm. I got rid of the last tiny bit of squeaking by spraying a very tiny bit of wd40 at the rear edges of the headliner (inside) and the front near the top console area. It's been a few months and no more issues. I'll keep the thread updated.

Sidenote: had already done the rear rf hub (it was loose), rear glass slider, rear subwoofer and back wall and a few other things I can't recall now. Its definitely headliner noise.

Also I don't have a part number but I've also seen here that a new headliner clip with built in foam or something is available to dealers. They must be acknowledging the larger problem.

Last edited:

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Yes, thanks for pointing that out! My truck is an Oct. 18 built. The clicking noise just started a few days ago, not sure if the relative temperature drop affected anything. I'll give the flock tape fix mentioned in the "Panoramic Sunroof Headliner Noise" tread a try this afternoon and see if it solves the issue.
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/panoramic-sunroof-headliner-noise.3748/page-4
Here is the flocking tape that I used. It is 4mm thick. Those black plastic Velcro hooks will not move around in their retainers anymore. I still do get some headliner noise though. It must be, as someone else said, the headliner touching the edge of the roof rails.

drumexpert

Reaction score
Here is the flocking tape that I used. It is 4mm thick. Those black plastic Velcro hooks will not move around in their retainers anymore. I still do get some headliner noise though. It must be, as someone else said, the headliner touching the edge of the roof rails.

I did the Velcro clip fix yesterday. Turns out that’s not the clicking sound I was hearing.
I had my wife drive and I sat in the back. Seems to be my rear glass window. If I placed pressure on the glass, the ticking sound was substantially reduced.

On to placing an insulated wire between the metal and plastic rails that others on here have found to be a solution to the rattling

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I did the Velcro clip fix yesterday. Turns out that’s not the clicking sound I was hearing.
I had my wife drive and I sat in the back. Seems to be my rear glass window. If I placed pressure on the glass, the ticking sound was substantially reduced.

On to placing an insulated wire between the metal and plastic rails that others on here have found to be a solution to the rattling
Geez, we ought to start fixing these things for FCA instead of the dealers.

I don't think my rear window rattles yet, ior maybe that's what the sub causes to vibrate...

Zeeya

Reaction score
did you check the RF Hub module behind rear seat? It's center on the rear wall, low near.
Its attached with like 1 loose fitting clip. Mine rattled. I used double stick tape behind it.
Ended up sticking foam behind module, now to figure out noise in front end. Sounds like strut (in that area)

Attachments

• F7B4BC56-B940-4D9D-BFEB-E7B8AAF55CBF.jpeg
    F7B4BC56-B940-4D9D-BFEB-E7B8AAF55CBF.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 55

drumexpert

Reaction score
Geez, we ought to start fixing these things for FCA instead of the dealers.

I don't think my rear window rattles yet, ior maybe that's what the sub causes to vibrate...
Well I solved the window rattle, I think. I placed an 18 gauge wire in between the metal window rail and plastic trim piece that holds it in place. I went for a drive and the rattle was still there. Than I decided to turn the rear window defroster on, and about 2-3 mins of driving around, the rattle/creaking sound coming from the rear window area disappeared. I drove over and over the same sections of road that would trigger the rattle/creaking sound and it was gone!

Must be a thermo expansion issue between the glass, metal frame and rails, and the plastic trim pieces that hold it in place. I figure a heated rear window expands and fits tighter in its frame.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Driving on mildly bumpy roads it sounds like a brief tick from the rear passenger seat area when going over bumps. Its not all the time but sounds like plastic bumping plastic. It has a tick noise to it.
I am experiencing a similar ticking noise coming from the rear. It sounded like my Viofo A129 rear camera cable tapping on the plastic window frame.
After messing with the cable and trying couple different things it got ruled out as the culprit.
Discovered that raising the driver side rear seat up would make the noise go away. After further investigating, it appears to be caused by a metal "Cam/Gog gear" in the seat hinge area. I will dig into it this weekend and see whats going on in there. left rear seat ticking noise.jpg

Attachments

• seat cam wheel.jpg
    seat cam wheel.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 41

drumexpert

Reaction score
I am experiencing a similar ticking noise coming from the rear. It sounded like my Viofo A129 rear camera cable tapping on the plastic window frame.
After messing with the cable and trying couple different things it got ruled out as the culprit.
Discovered that raising the driver side rear seat up would make the noise go away. After further investigating, it appears to be caused by a metal "Cam/Gog gear" in the seat hinge area. I will dig into it this weekend and see whats going on in there. View attachment 40727
I have definitely heard/experienced this sound. It only does it when it is in the downward position and empty. Usually when it is up or the seat has some weight on it, there is no sound.

Back to the rear glass. It has gotten colder, and the rattle takes much longer to go away when I turn on the defroster. Also, I can make the rear window creak by simply turning the steering wheel back and forth. I'm guess the flex of vehicle causes the creaking sound occur.

Also, I went to the LA Auto show this past weekend and got in the Rebel they had on display, and there was zero flex or movement from the rear glass window. So I'm convinced that at my next oil change, which will be in a few weeks, I will try my best to get the dealership to replace the rear window.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I have a ticking noise coming from the rear and it seems to be the seatbelt loop in the pillar.

maddog49

Reaction score
Just make sure yoj read the instructions clearly. They kind of seem like a pos until the instructions were followed exactly

copeddogg

Reaction score

What I've tried so far:

I found the noise. Still have that truck ?

Users who are viewing this thread