5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rattle noise from engine

jiffi

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has encountered this issue. I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn with the 3.6, which has just over 3000-miles on it, and in the last few weeks, I have noticed a noise from the engine.

The noise is a rattle type like something loose and only shows up between 27-31 mph while cruising. Basically, if I am cruising along in top gear at 25 mph and give slight gas to accelerate, the rattle noise appears and while disappears by the time I get to 32 mph, sounds like it could be pinging/detonation. I have been using the same fuel from the same station since new.

Took it out dealer last week for the first service and they heard it but have no idea. No TSB etc.

Usmc0311

Reaction score
I have an engine drone noise at 2k rpm. Went to the dealer several times and everytime they said "all is normal."

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Same here ^^ - OP check to see if it’s RPM dependent in the 1800 to 210 RPM range while the truck is under load. While it’s doing it maybe shift to neutral and see if the problem goes away. I can typically get mine to vibrate when accelerating and shifting gears - more pronounced when going up an incline - or getting the truck to cruse on the highway around 70 in 7th or 80 in 8th (although it struggles to hold 8th). Also try with 4WD auto engaged and 2WD. For me, the noise/vibration intensifies in 4WD Auto.

Otey485

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has encountered this issue. I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn with the 3.6, which has just over 3000-miles on it, and in the last few weeks, I have noticed a noise from the engine.

The noise is a rattle type like something loose and only shows up between 27-31 mph while cruising. Basically, if I am cruising along in top gear at 25 mph and give slight gas to accelerate, the rattle noise appears and while disappears by the time I get to 32 mph, sounds like it could be pinging/detonation. I have been using the same fuel from the same station since new.

Took it out dealer last week for
Hi All,

Took it out dealer last week for the first service and they heard it but have no idea. No TSB etc.
Use 91 octane or higher fuel...it will go away

Ramjack

Reaction score
He shouldn't have to use 91 octane. Old thread anyway.

Loai

Reaction score
0 reason to do it.
That's a v6 and not a high performance engine, he will gain nothing, al this thread is over 2 years old.
I know but sometimes gas type would clear the noise, not necessarily top octane for racing.

ajosephngs

Reaction score
I know this post is way old but this might help others. I had the same problem and my mechanic thought i was nuts. It could be replicated in very specific conditions but it was tough to get him to hear it. Turns out, there was a bolt/screw in my front brake assembly that had walked out and was creating the noise. Easy fix but it took a long time to find. Hope it helps.

jstickman

Reaction score
Just got out from under my 2020 2500 and there is an exhaust hanger near the CAT that welds the two exhaust pipes together. Mine came loose on one of the welds and is rattling intermittently. I will test the theory tomorrow with a big hose clamp to make sure it fixes the problem, then take it to an exhaust shop for a quick weld if that is truly the issue.

jiffi

Reaction score
Just to update, I changed fuel brands from Esso to a company called Refuel, and have had no issues for pass 2 years now. I am using 93 octane. Seems like it was pre ignition/detonation taking place due to poor fuel.

Nstoolman1

Reaction score
Jiffi I gave you a thumbs up. 1 for finding a solution to your problem and 2 for having the decency to check back in and tell the members. So many post a problem and then crickets. It happens on a lot of forums.

fivepointsover1

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue now with my 2021 3.6L etorque 4x4 3.55 gears. At moderate acceleration there is a lot of noise coming from the engine, metallic clanking noise. At idle, nothing. Heavy acceleration, nothing. It is NOT the lifters/rockers. Some have pointed out a good suggestion as to use higher octane gas to see if it would go away and others pointed out that this is not a high performance engine so its not needed. My thought process over the last 20 years and several different vehicles, is that although this is not a high displacement high horsepower engine, it is still a 'performance' engine being 11.3-1 compression (my 10-1 compression civic in 2000 needed 91 octane minimum) Point being, maybe we should have been told to run high octane in these engines (vs older less compression 3.6's out there) I know at one point I could hear detonation knock and did run a tank of 94 and no issue but with this specific tank of 87 the metallic clanking noise at moderate acceleration is very bad. Tomorrow I will try to place my go-pro under the hood and go for a drive and will try to post the sound I'm having. I've got about 75L of gas in the tank before I can refuel at at least 91 octane and go from there. Just hit 85,000km so I'd like to nail this down while still under powertrain warranty.

Anyone else have a similar issue that WAS resolved by the dealer??

Users who are viewing this thread