5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Blower Motor Noise

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got back from a 1,000 mile road trip. A/C did great - no issues with keeping the truck cool!

I had it set on auto - 71-73 degrees for the most part. About every 20-30 minutes or so, it's like a setting changed and it blew air out of the passenger side vents. Not positive where it came from, but it was noticable louder, being able to be heard over the radio. Again, only on the passenger side.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No truck to experience issue with yet, but weren't you having AC cooling issues when you first got it? What, if anything, did you do so that it's now cooling well in July?

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No truck to experience issue with yet, but weren't you having AC cooling issues when you first got it? What, if anything, did you do so that it's now cooling well in July?

I think most of that was a forum syndrome...you read a truck or two has problems so you look at yours much harder for the issue. I'm not going to lie and say it blows super cold - but it does a fine job of keeping the cab cool and getting it cool pretty darn quick.

Dremin2flyhi

Reaction score
I have noticed with mine if the dash is really hot --the blower will not kick up to really full blast until it cools off some .. Once it cools --it is good to go

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have noticed with mine if the dash is really hot --the blower will not kick up to really full blast until it cools off some .. Once it cools --it is good to go

Mine does the same and I figure that is normal.

What I'm describing is that during an 8 hour drive for 30 seconds or so, very sporadically, it'll kick something on, on the passenger side and loudly blow/move air.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. What's odd is I haven't noticed it during 1-2 hour drives...it was a good 3 hours into an 8 hour trip that I noticed it.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've got the same issue - its the recirculation door being opened/closing back. There's something going on with the HVAC module and it causes the door to open sporadically and then close a short time later (same time period of 30 sec or so here).

Next time you notice the sound change, push the recirculation button on/off and the noise will go away immediately.

To that point, when I intentionally open/close the door, the change in noise is very noticeable as the door is close to the shut position. Almost sounds like a space shuttle air lock from the movies being purged of air. Don't know if that means anything, but it sounds cheap and detracts from the luxury truck feel.

30 minutes into an hour long trip the other day (interstate speeds) I was bitching about the AC performance and that I needed to figure the issue out. A few minutes later my wife commented "the air feels colder now". Sure enough, put my hands back up to the vent and the air was indeed much colder. Continue driving along and noticed the air getting warmer again. Seemed to cycle on/off like this once I started paying attention to it more.

The fact the air was cold at one point and seems to fluctuate in temperature, in addition to the weird recirculation door issue, leads me to believe that the HVAC module is screwing up. The module is adjusting blend doors without input and causing air to be blown over the heater core.

I intend to take it by a dealership sooner rather then later to have them check for codes in the HVAC module.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got the same issue - its the recirculation door being opened/closing back. There's something going on with the HVAC module and it causes the door to open sporadically and then close a short time later (same time period of 30 sec or so here).

Next time you notice the sound change, push the recirculation button on/off and the noise will go away immediately.

To that point, when I intentionally open/close the door, the change in noise is very noticeable as the door is close to the shut position. Almost sounds like a space shuttle air lock from the movies being purged of air. Don't know if that means anything, but it sounds cheap and detracts from the luxury truck feel.

30 minutes into an hour long trip the other day (interstate speeds) I was bitching about the AC performance and that I needed to figure the issue out. A few minutes later my wife commented "the air feels colder now". Sure enough, put my hands back up to the vent and the air was indeed much colder. Continue driving along and noticed the air getting warmer again. Seemed to cycle on/off like this once I started paying attention to it more.

The fact the air was cold at one point and seems to fluctuate in temperature, in addition to the weird recirculation door issue, leads me to believe that the HVAC module is screwing up. The module is adjusting blend doors without input and causing air to be blown over the heater core.

I intend to take it by a dealership sooner rather then later to have them check for codes in the HVAC module.

Great description of the issue! Now that I've had a nap in me, I remember I was able to press the recirc button and the noise did go away. This may have something to do with many others who are complaining of the not so cold A/C.

Let us know what the dealer says!

Flot

Reaction score
I had this happen as well on my long road trip home - if it is, in fact, the recirc door - it may be a “safety” feature?

I’ve had European cars that were very explicit tha they would turn off recirc mode after x minutes, or would occasionally switch it off.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had this happen as well on my long road trip home - if it is, in fact, the recirc door - it may be a “safety” feature?

I’ve had European cars that were very explicit tha they would turn off recirc mode after x minutes, or would occasionally switch it off.

I keep mine set on auto...not sure if it'll turn on/off recirc by itself? But, what you posted does make sense.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see anything time related as an input to the HVAC module.

HVAC Module Inputs.JPG

Not to say that its not a possibility but my guess is that's not the case here. Once I knew what to pay attention for, I've noticed it within a few minutes of leaving the house. And with the same commute, some days are worse than others in terms of how often it happens. I don't think its an intentional programming response.

ETA: Thinking it over a bit more, there wouldn't need to be an input for run time into the module - it could track that itself. Particularly if the system was trying to monitor how long it has not brought in fresh air, that's independent of engine run time. So disregard the input list above.

I still think its not intentional though given the sporadic nature on the same commute to work.

Last edited:

hortizo

Reaction score

Hi! im new to the Forum, I came across searching this very same issue...
Took my two day old 1500 on a trip and noticed the same 30 sec air blow.
Did you ever get an answer from the dealership? is it a HVAC code issue?

Thank you

greatrush2112

Reaction score
I just got back from a 1,000 mile road trip. A/C did great - no issues with keeping the truck cool!

I had it set on auto - 71-73 degrees for the most part. About every 20-30 minutes or so, it's like a setting changed and it blew air out of the passenger side vents. Not positive where it came from, but it was noticable louder, being able to be heard over the radio. Again, only on the passenger side.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Yep. Same problem with my Limited on a 600 mile trip home from the dealer. Driving around the city, it doesn't happen.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep. Same problem with my Limited on a 600 mile trip home from the dealer. Driving around the city, it doesn't happen.

I have heard this multiple times. It's always on my way home from work and about 15-20 minutes in. It sound like an air leak on the passenger side then goes away.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi! im new to the Forum, I came across searching this very same issue...
Took my two day old 1500 on a trip and noticed the same 30 sec air blow.
Did you ever get an answer from the dealership? is it a HVAC code issue?

Thank you

No I haven't gotten it sorted out yet. The first dealer I took it to said it was "normal operation" - I'm waiting on some parts to come in for something else before I take it to another dealer for a second/better opinion. I've since figured out that it cycles every 15 minutes.

It seems like the door isn't opening all the way when it cycles, and that's why the wind noise is so bad. If you push the recirc button once after hearing the noise, the door opens the rest of the way and it's not as loud.

I've found that mine DOES happen in the city - its just harder to hear the wind noise when you are at slower speeds. My door cycles every 15 minutes like clockwork.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same issue with my truck. Only noticed it at highway speeds, so it seems obvious outside air is rushing into the dash/HVAC somewhere for some reason. I typically have music pretty loud so I don't notice it often, but hard to believe this made it past development/quality testing since it's obviously an issue on a number of trucks.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Bringing this back up as I too am having an issue. I have not had to use the A/C just yet since I live in Iowa, but I have my heat on with the vents usually set to floor/defrost. I was messing with the different modes the other day on my way home and it definitely changes sounds when the recirculation button is pressed. Press again and it sounds like was described above, an air lock being purged of air. I also noticed that when I set it to just the floor, I get just as much air coming out of the defrost vents. When changed to any other setting (dash only, dash/floor,) it no longer comes out of the defrost vents. Leads me to believe something with the blend door is messed up.

Users who are viewing this thread