5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamBox with 6'4" bed

Slayer

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with 5'7" bed. I'm in the process of ordering a 2021 Ram 1500 Limited. My dealer says the 6'4" bed is not available with RamBox. Will this be available later in the production year?

DivingOtter

Reaction score
Not this model year and probably not next... if you must have the 6'4" bed and ram boxes you'll have to get a 2500 model and not the 1500 model.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with 5'7" bed. I'm in the process of ordering a 2021 Ram 1500 Limited. My dealer says the 6'4" bed is not available with RamBox. Will this be available later in the production year?
Many months ago, 5thgenrams itself did an article on this very issue. At that time, the author stated that it was extremely unlikely that Ram would add Ram Box option to the latest "DT" platform half-tons with 6'4" beds, at least until Ram does the next major upgrade of the HD models (2500, 3500) from the current "4.5th-gen Ram" to the full "5th-gen Ram" design for HDs.
The current HDs are a hybrid between the previous 4th-gen Rams and the 2019 5th-gen half-tons. Oversimplifying a bit here, but the current 4.5th-gen HDs are the 4th-gen "DS" platform with the cab and technology upgrades of the 2019 5th-gen "DT" platform half-tons. So the cab, doors & bed sheetmetal of the 4.5th-gen HDs carries over from the 4th-gen Rams, only the front end styling and cab interiors were upgraded on the 4.5th-gen HDs. That's why you can still get 6'4" Ram Box in the HDs, but not in the 5th-gen half-ton "DT" trucks. Before someone feels the need to correct my sentence that 4.5th-gen HDs were sheetmetal & cab interior changes only, Ram heavily upgraded the HD frames, axles, brakes, and of course the new 1,000 lbf-ft torque Cummins engine, so under the skin, the 4.5th-gen Ram HDs have a LOT of redesign & chassis improvements. But again, the cab, doors, and bed sheetmetal carried over.
The current theory is that Ram won't create 6'4" Ram Box design until the HD 5th-gen redesign forces them to do so, because almost no one orders an HD with the short bed. Also, the design of the 5'7" Ram Box on the 5th-gen DT-based half-tons has had some issues with the new plastic lids warping & bowing upward at the front & rear ends of the lids, and making the lids longer would only make that problem worse, So it behooves Ram to get the redesign of the lids for the 5th-gen 5'7" Ram Box done right before they try making them for the 6'4" bed. BTW, my 2020 half-ton with 5'7" bed & Ram Boxes has the somewhat-warped lids, but it's not too bad, and the lids still seal well and function perfectly, so I have elected to leave the original lids in place. At least until Ram comes up with a bulletproof redesign that fixes the warping for good.
As for me, I'm hoping that my next half-ton Ram will be available with 6'4" bed with Ram Boxes, as well as a plug-in hybrid drivetrain (either diesel or gas, as Ram sees fit). Given that my 2020 has only 5k miles on it, it'll be a few years before my next purchase. But that's what I'm looking forward to with my next Ram.

Last edited:

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they kept the RAMBOX the same size as on the 5-7 bed, you could probably get a tool box across the Bed too.

MAlodave

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they kept the RAMBOX the same size as on the 5-7 bed, you could probably get a tool box across the Bed too.

MAlodave
That’s a good point. Why can’t they just make the actually rambox and lid the same size as the short bed but put it on the 6’-4” box? You would still be able to use all the space inside the rambox.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know the trick to removing the painted part of a DT-based Ram Box lid? I removed all of the screws along the bottom edge of the painted panel, but I still couldn't easily slide the painted part out, and I didn't ant to force it and break or bend something. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread