5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram vs tundra

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stuff like this is mildly entertaining to watch but means virtually nothing in the truck's performance on a daily basis unless you are a drag racer. There may have been a half second difference between the two vehicles?

With a truck, aside from being reasonably comfortable, I want to know: how much can it tow? What's the payload? What's the maintenance costs? What's the resale value? What's the longevity? ETC.

Toyota makes a good truck. They don't sell 150k of them a year for nothing. Personally, I think the new Ram looks better and performs better, but not because it is half a second faster in the quarter mile :D

Yelzelity

Reaction score
I traded a 2015 Tundra in for my Ram, no regrets. The interior is what got me to switch, I looked at the new Tundras and they still looked the same, disappointing. A Ram dealer was close by and the rest is history.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I traded a 2015 Tundra in for my Ram, no regrets. The interior is what got me to switch, I looked at the new Tundras and they still looked the same, disappointing. A Ram dealer was close by and the rest is history.
I would have to agree, Toyota Tundra has not had a complete makeover since 2007. A lot has changed since then. Trucks need to keep pace. Thats exactley why The Silverado is number three in sales now. And Ford is scrambling to complete an remake of there interior on the F150.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Geez... this is like a Smart car owner posting on the Lambo forums of the Hayabusa Smart car beating the Huracan.

Always something faster, better, bigger and badder around the corner. Not into comparisons... love my Rebel and don't need outside influences/comparing to feel any different about it. Seriously, if a Ram owner needs that clip to validate their purchase, they have serious self esteem issues.

BUT, edit... a little pride of ownership isn't the end of the world either. Or healthy competition.

DM-SC

Reaction score
The thing I find the funniest and most confusing about Ram vs Tundra, is when I hear or read someone state that Ram copied the Tundra for the new 2019.

Other than the obvious similarities due to 'Pickup Truck form', I don't see even a passing resemblance.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
I test drove a 2019 Tundra the other day just to see...It was not even close to the Ram. Noise, ride, transmission, it was all worse in the Tundra. I know, I know, it's about the Toyota reliability. It should be; I felt like I was in 2007 sitting in the Tundra. They should have all the kinks worked out by now.

768mph

Reaction score
Tundra also has 4.30 gearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score

That's true, but I find payload to be the weakpoint of the half-ton market. The gearing, even the 3.21s, seem to pull loads up to payload just fine. 4.30s would surely be better, but those also contribute to Toyota having worst in class mileage not loaded.

Nlg4021

Reaction score
I had a 2018 Limited Tundra with 4.30’s before I traded it in on my Limited Ram with 3.92’s . My normal day to day mileage was actually better in the Tundra. With the being said the Ram obviously won me over. I will say the auto cruise in the Tundra was horrible and always giving me errors. So no truck is problem free for sure.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

That's because they only have a 6 speed. With more gears available, you can reduce the gearing. I haven't looked it up, but these sorts of comparisons always comes up on various forums and when then the local forum engineer drops in and does the math, they end up with pretty much equivalent gearing at the wheel.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's because they only have a 6 speed. With more gears available, you can reduce the gearing. I haven't looked it up, but these sorts of comparisons always comes up on various forums and when then the local forum engineer drops in and does the math, they end up with pretty much equivalent gearing at the wheel.
The Tundra runs 3.333:1 first gear versus a 5:1 first gear and 3.20 second gear on the Ram. 14.319 gear reduction on the Tundra versus 19.6:1 on the Ram with 3.92 rear end and 16.05:1 for the Ram with 3.21 rear end. The rear end on the Tundra is hell for stout though with a 10.5" ring gear.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I test drove a 2019 Tundra the other day just to see...It was not even close to the Ram. Noise, ride, transmission, it was all worse in the Tundra. I know, I know, it's about the Toyota reliability. It should be; I felt like I was in 2007 sitting in the Tundra. They should have all the kinks worked out by now.

Rented one for 3 days last week and can't agree more. It was loud on the interior and was quite a ways behind the overall package ram has. Interior wasn't even close.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's not a 5th Gen Ram....

Loved my Tundra that I had, it was a 2010 and let me tell you, that truck was STOUT. They are very well built, and that 5.7 iForce punches way above it's weight class. Love my Ram, but that Tundra could PULL.

Users who are viewing this thread