5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM Trailer anti-sway vs an anti-sway hitch?

Steve76063

Reaction score
So, the setup manual for my new WD Hitch with Sway Control (Andersen) states that the anti-sway features built-in to new trucks can actually work against the sway control of their hitch and make the trailer sway!

Their recommendation is to 'turn off' the truck's anti-sway features and just use their hitch.

My questions:
1. How do I know if I have anti-sway built-in to my 2019 RAM 1500 Limited (with the towing package)? I don't see any mention of it on the window sticker.
2. If I do have it, how do I turn it off?
3. Has anyone had any actual issues with an anti-sway hitch not cooperating with RAM's anti-sway methods?

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you downloaded and used the search function it the Owner's Manual?
The thing in the glove compartment is a User's Guide....

Owner's Manual

Steve76063

Reaction score
Have you downloaded and used the search function it the Owner's Manual?
The thing in the glove compartment is a User's Guide....

Owner's Manual
Well, the manual says "Your vehicle may also be equipped with Trailer Sway Control (TSC)"...
It also gives info on turning it off (by 'partially' turning off ESC).
So...how do I find out if my truck "may" be equipped with TSC? I'm guessing that if I have the Towing Package option, that I do have it???

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here you go, this will be you build sheet with everything on the truck...but there is a search feature in the upper right hand corner... ;)

It appears that Traction Control, Electronic Roll Mitigation, and Trailer Sway Damping are "Standard Equipment" no idea if that is true across all trims.

It is case sensitive, so no lower case letters...
Equipment Listing

Steve76063

Reaction score
Here you go, this will be you build sheet with everything on the truck...but there is a search feature in the upper right hand corner... ;)

It appears that Traction Control, Electronic Roll Mitigation, and Trailer Sway Damping are "Standard Equipment" no idea if that is true across all trims.

It is case sensitive, so no lower case letters...
Equipment Listing

Perfect :)...now I know for sure that I DO have the Trailer Sway Control on my truck. Thanks for the link.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
I have a husky weight distribution hitch. It is anti-sway by design. My truck has ESC traction control/TSC, I know this for a fact because when I start my truck up, the lights for those functions show up on my lower left side of the dashboard. I have had zero problems with my travel trailer swaying. My trailer is 30 foot long from the trailer bumper to the hitch and my truck bed is 6'4".

Last edited:

Steve76063

Reaction score
I have a husky weight distribution hitch. It is anti-sway by design. My truck has ESC traction control/TSC, I know this for a fact because when I start my truck up, the lights for those functions show up on my lower left side of the dashboard. I have had zero problems with my travel trailer swaying. My trailer is 30 foot long from the trailer bumper to the hitch and my truck bed is 6'4".

Thanks :) I was hoping someone had experience with leaving TSC on with an anti-sway hitch.

RBRK

Reaction score
I’ve used the Andersen sway control hitch for 13000 miles of towing on my gen 4 and 5th gen now. With the OEM function turned on. Works fine. I tow 22FT enclosed trailer. No need to worry.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So did you end up turning it off? Or leave it on? I have an Equalizer WDH w/ friction sway control and will be picking up my Limited this week. Tow a 31' TT weekly all summer. Curious if it is better to leave it on it turn off. How did you turn it off in your LImited?

Last edited:

RBRK

Reaction score
I don’t know if you can turn it off, but mine is on. When I first got My 19 I got hit with a huge side wind going 70 it actually activated the ABS like it’s designed, straightened the trailer out good. It’s the first time I’ve ever had it happen even with my 13’. Same trailer. Just drive it and I wouldn’t worry about it.

Last edited:

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems like a chicken and egg topic. AS hitch works to prevent sway in the 1st place, while vehicle AS "feature" works to reduce sway that is already occurring. No?

trainman

Reaction score
We have on order a new 2019 Oliver Elite II, weight 4600 lbs. and a tongue weight of 460 lbs., all dry weights. The question is rather to go with the Anderson WDH with swaybar control, or not go with one, first let me say, the Anderson is the only WDH that will work with the Oliver trailer, it's in the tongue design of the trailer. We will be right on the border weight wise with the truck and the trailer falling within factory guidelines as to use the Anderson or not. The Oliver trailer, if you don't know what they are, check it out. https://olivertraveltrailers.com/travel-trailers/

trainman

rickcb7

Reaction score
DID anyone find out how to disable the trucks ELECTRONIC SWAY CONTROL??? I too traveled a little white knuckled from PHX to Yuma w/brand new Limited and new 30' trailer and had zero to .5 problems...Actually a pretty good ride with my EZ sway bar and WD installed. Myself and the dealer found a red tag stating to disable when using your own controls. We couldn't find it. Best option was to use it all and if if felt bad, remove the friction bar. But as I said, it was a good ride. BUT I would still like to know my options and how to disable the ESC in my RAM.

jimchi

Reaction score
From the manual:
When TSC is functioning, the ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light will flash, the engine power may be reduced and you may feel the brakes being applied to individual wheels to attempt to stop the trailer from swaying. TSC is disabled when the ESC system is in the “Partial Off” or “Full Off” modes.
To enter the “Partial Off” mode, momentarily push the ESC OFF switch and the ESC OFF Indicator Light will illuminate. To turn the ESC on again, momentarily push the ESC OFF switch and the ESC OFF Indicator Light will turn off.

Users who are viewing this thread